Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:02 pm Post subject: 2001 Mazda MPV- Passenger door won't open
The passenger door on my 2001 Mazda MPV decided to not open today. The bad part is it decided this in the closed position. I've been wrestling on trying to determine how to get it open. From taking the inside handle off I've determined that the power locks steel rod seems to be working, but the steel wire that controls the actual opening of the door seems overextended from the normal position and has zero give. There's no way to get the door panel off from the inside without breaking it ($300 to replace) so I've been looking at opening it from between the door panel itself with the window down. I don't see anything obvious that says "push me" and I will open.
PLEASE tell me someone has some no kidding photos of what I need to do so I can get this thing open; specifically looking for the pics of the inside mechanism that opens/closes the door. Before, someone says it, I know I could pop the drivers side to see the mechanism, but first I'd like to see if someone has photos and a fix first. Thanks in advance.-swaingh
2001 Mazda MPV LX
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: 2001 Mazda MPV- Passenger door won't open
Finally got it!!! What a massive pain. I would say difficulty was about a 9 out 10 mostly because I couldn't find one place to get a bearing on what I was supposed to be looking for exactly. So I thought I'd share what worked for me.
1) As the attachments will show, there is a tamper proof cover. It's a nightmare because it turns what should be an easy kill into a killer job. It's flexible and it doesn't want to budge. Even when you do budge it, it tends to move right back into place.
2) It's approximately a foot down into the door so you need a very long screwdriver
3) You'll also need something to part the door approx a half inch just so you can shine some light into the door to see what you're doing.
4) I used a flexible fiberglass rod (it was actually part of my kids flag from his bike) I forced in between the tamper proof cover and the metal bracket holding the steel flexi cable that actually unlatches the door.
5) I inserted it at around a 45 degree angle and forced it in until, with a lot of luck, I tripped the pivot point and unlatched the door.
6) My first order of business was to cut as much of the tamper proof piece away once I had the door open and the door panel off.
7) At this point, I made sure I had easy access to the latch itself in the event when I closed it again, the latch failed again.
My next step is to pull the latching unit out and diagnose exactly what's sticking.
Joined: 19 Feb 2005 Posts: 2259 Location: Honolulu, HI, USA
Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:25 pm Post subject: Re: 2001 Mazda MPV- Passenger door won't open
Hey look at the bright side now you know the inner works of vehicle doors and it will be a tool when others arise with the same problem. That and breaking into a vehicle got alot easierAdded Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum