MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deepsea365

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

Has anyone changed the Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 sensor on the 2002 MPV? I have located it immediately behind the engine but was wondering if anyone could recommend the quickest/best means by which to remove/replace the sensor. From the looks of it, I believe I have to remove the air intake manifold to get to it - is this correct? If anyone has diagrams or instructions I would greatly appreciate it.
crystalion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

On my 2000 which has the 2.5ltr which MAY make a big difference -don't know. I did everything from underneath. The biggest problem was unhooking the factory connector from the top -backside of the engine and making sure I had the RIGHT connector. had to put a very small screwdriver in the clip and PULL after a few times it just popped right apart.
Other than that its straightforward using a sensor socket which u can borrow from any AZ and some other parts stores. I bought the same kit on Amazon for $25 since I had 2 others go on other cars. Biggest problem was the heat from the CAT. You should also spray it down before hand PBlaster but mine came right out without.

Hopefully someone with a 2002 will chime in. There are plenty of threads on the O2s but the search doesn't work as well as it should.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

I have a 2002, and while I haven't tried this myself yet, I was also going to suggest taking a look at it from underneath to see how big of a deal it is. I know that the lower O2 sensor is easily visible and accessible (mostly) from underneath, and the upper one shouldn't be more than a foot or so higher up. Lots of people have trouble with the connector, though - some to the point of just cutting the wires and splicing them back together later. And depending on whether or not you can buy an exact OEM-match sensor (connector and all) or a more generic one (usually less expensive), this may be the route you end up going anyway. Apparently purchasing an exact match can be a bit tricky, too.

I need to do some fiddling with our MPV this weekend anyway. If I get a chance I will check out that sensor and maybe come back with some recommendations about how to attack it. One of the things I've thought about in the past is jacking the engine up a bit in order to lift it and maybe tilt it to make access to various sensors easier.
deepsea365

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

Thanks for the input so far!

Just FYI, I've tried getting to the sensor from underneath and I can barely get my hand up to the sensor, much less try to get a wrench in the confined space to try and loosen the sensor. Maybe my arm is too big or something but it was really tight up in there.

From the top of the engine, I can't seen anything due to the position of the manifold, nor could I get a good feel for the connector for the sensor.

I'd be highly interested to see how anyone get's to it without removing the manifold - that would save me a lot of time & some money!

Standing by for any further input!
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

BTW, what makes you suspect a problem with that sensor? Do you have a CEL code or something? For the record, I'm at 128,000 miles and still have all of my original sensors, but I use a quality fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank on a regular basis, which I suspect helps keep the sensors and the cats clean, too.
deepsea365

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

scross wrote:
BTW, what makes you suspect a problem with that sensor? Do you have a CEL code or something? For the record, I'm at 128,000 miles and still have all of my original sensors, but I use a quality fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank on a regular basis, which I suspect helps keep the sensors and the cats clean, too.

I ran a diagnostic with an OBD based off of the CEL and came up with (P0031, P0037 and P0304). Just this past week the car began with rough idling, and is sluggish & jerky while driving. Because I'm military overseas, I don't have a Mazda dealership to go to nor do I have a knowledgeable enough mechanic with these vehicles. The fuel in my location is also NOT the best quality, and fuel additives will be a part of my routine from now on. So, in the meantime, I need to fix this particular issue so my vehicle will last the remainder of my tour.
crystalion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

The P0031 if I remember is for the O2. Sensors are made to eventually die --but using some Seafoam or Techron 3-4X a year should extend their life along with quality fuel.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

P0031 (B1S1 heater problem) & P0037 (B1S2 heater problem) both refer to problems on bank 2; P0304 (misfire on cylinder #4) refers to a problem on bank 1, so it is unlikely that the O2 sensor issues and the misfire issue are related. The two sensors are related, of course (bank 1), and seem to be sharing a common problem (heater circuit low), so it is logical to look first at things they may have in common, such as wiring, connectors, fuses, etc.

Cylinder #4, given its location at the far end of the fuel rail, is apparently a common place for fuel injector issues to show up. If it is an injector issue, then a good, quality fuel injector cleaner, thrown in the gas tank and given some time to work (you might have to do this a couple of times) may still salvage that injector, but don't be too surprised if it needs to be replaced. Of course, this could also turn out to be a problem with the spark plug or coil (COP) on that cylinder, too.
deepsea365

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

Thanks for the input folks, but still haven't heard the best way to get to B1S1. If anyone has any recommendations/pics/instructions on how to go about this, it would be greatly appreciated!
AmblerMan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

I don't know if you're still looking for advice on this but I just did this on my 2003.

I did have to take off the intake manifold.
Follow this for great instructions for removing the intake: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17565

Once you get the intake off, this job is pretty easy. The intake is 95% of the job.

Once off, you can reach over and behind the rear valve cover and feel the O2 sensor. If you follow the wire up to the connector, you'll find the connector is actually visible on top of the engine and easy to access.

I too found it impossible to get to the O2 sensor from under the car. I did the job from the top. What worked for me is getting an offset O2 sensor wrench. Like this one: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200396102_200396102

I got mine at a local auto parts store and it should be easy to find.
Before trying to remove the O2 sensor, I put on liquid wrench on it.

The offset O2 wrench is pretty easy to put on by feel. And once on, it seems to sit there pretty well while you put your socket extension onto the O2 wrench.

Mine (with 120K on it) came loose pretty easily.

Andy
brages

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

I did this last week (Bank 1 Sensor 1) without removing the intake manifold.

I used this wrench: http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-Oxygen-Sensor-Wrench/dp/B002GQAYVQ

It works really well; the handle can fit down along the cat and gives a good range of motion. You can borrow this tool for free at Autozone.

One poster (http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=6424&start=30) said that you could remove the electrical connector from off the engine by sliding it towards the passenger side of the car. I didn't do this; I jammed a tiny screwdriver in the top of the connector and was able to undo the connector relatively easily.

On the plus side, your experience removing the intake manifold will come in handy when (not if Sad ) the rear coil packs fail...
anhyeube143

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

Hey guys, finally finished the upstream O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 ( rear of engine). I yesterday got a code P0031 for some reason pending then this morning I OBD checked it and had the CEL on because of the P0431 code and now P0031 code. I only had the 2002 MPV for 2 months and all these codes had shown up P0303, P0420, P0431, P0171, P0031 now what is next?Huh??? Scross has helped me so much , can't say enough t=for BUbba too for his walk through. I had to remove the intake mani to get to the sensor, it was so tight. I even used the tool above ^. I got it for $27 now I am going to return it. I used a socket instead. The O2 sensor had some kind of white dry thingy like lime? I am not sure but then I checked the heater wire and had open line? I just replaced it for $65 at autozone. I still have the nagging P0431 code CEL on? Any advice?Huh?? Thanks guys
anhyeube143

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

Hey guys, finally finished the upstream O2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1 ( rear of engine). I yesterday got a code P0031 for some reason pending then this morning I OBD checked it and had the CEL on because of the P0431 code and now P0031 code. I only had the 2002 MPV for 2 months and all these codes had shown up P0303, P0420, P0431, P0171, P0031 now what is next?Huh??? Scross has helped me so much , can't say enough t=for BUbba too for his walk through. I had to remove the intake mani to get to the sensor, it was so tight. I even used the tool above ^. I got it for $27 now I am going to return it. I used a socket instead. The O2 sensor had some kind of white dry thingy like lime? I am not sure but then I checked the heater wire and had open line? I just replaced it for $65 at autozone. I still have the nagging P0431 code CEL on? Any advice?Huh?? Thanks guys
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

There are many posts on how to "cure" P0421 and P0431 CEL codes. I suggest starting with these links:

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=25811
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=25840
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=22162

and subsequently searching for all of the following terms

P0421 antifouler

I have seen many reports on different forums indicating that this procedure works.
kuro0430

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Mazda MPV Bank 1 Sensor 1 Reply with quote

Since no one had a good pic of the challenge facing the P0031 error code for the bank 1 sensor 1 O2 sensor replacement, I've posted some in this thread.

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=27784

I've decided to defer this task to a licensed mechanic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: