MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446 Reply with quote

Here's another thing to check:
Quote:
Recently I got CEL codes:
P0461 Fuel level sensor out of range
P0174 System too lean (bank #2)
P0446 Evap vent solenoid problem

My mechanic pulled the codes for me and told me that it might be the oxygen sensor which have not been changed on my vehicle. I decided to look through this forum and found this instruction about cleaning the MAF and IAC. Upon dismantling both, they appeared very carbon coated. The IAC was so carbon coated that the valve was not moving properly and probably remaining partially open. I had no way of purchasing QD electronic cleaner since the only place they sell this in Toronto is NAPA and there is no store in my area. However, I recently remembered retrieving a 1 gallon can of electronic cleaner from my local toxic substances dump. I retrieved it, bought a small spray bottle at the dollar store and filled it with the electronic cleaner. The directions on the electronic cleaner indicate electric motors, electrical switches and other electrical mechanical devices.

I followed the instruction here to clean out both items and especially took care to decarbonize the IAC. As soon as I started the van after disconnecting the battery, I realized it had worked and that the CEL was turned off! Relief!

The reward came when I took my van for a spin. It had always had sluggish acceleration at low revs, from idle to 2500. Amazingly enough, the cleaning I had done had liberated the acceleration! The low revs were now zippy and it was apparent! I had also noticed in the past that the van was very uneconomical with gas. Idling would use up almost as much fuel as driving on the highway! Although I have not had enough time to verify if the consumption is improved, I am quite certain that the uncleaned MAF and IAC from the time the van was first purchased have really impacted it's performance and economy. I had no idea that this is something that needed to be cleaned periodically. I also have the K & N filter in the van, so I will take the advice of someone else on here to clean both items at every oil change (once a year).

Whoever found out about the necessary cleaning of these two devices, thanks so much! I saved myself a possible unneccessary replacement of an oxygen sensor and a hefty $300+ bill.

Total cost of the operation= $30 mechanic to read codes + $2 for a spray bottle... WooHoo... Thanks MPV forum!!!

Last edited by subearu on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
dupsmpv

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446 Reply with quote

HI Subearu
Do you have any pics? That will help me identify were i need to do cleaning.
Thank you
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446 Reply with quote

No, I just was providing info from someone else that they PM'd me with, so I placed it in a thread here so it could benefit others.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
wareaglewon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446 Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with the Moisture problen on my 2002 MPV van. I want to use High Temp Silicon on the springs, will this work? I am tired of the Moisture problem. Thanks for any reply!
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446 Reply with quote

I use dielectric grease (an insulator) on the springs inside the plug connectors (which I have replaced). This regimen works reasonably well, but I recently had to replace one OE coil (on cylinder number 5) at the 123K mark because it misfired in heavy rain. All of my other coils are OE.
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: one solution for P0461, P0174, P0446 Reply with quote

For some reason, Ford vehicles have had a history of MAF sensor problems caused by contamination. In some cases, dirt gets past a leaky air filter and fouls the sensor wire. In other cases, carbon varnish builds up on the sensor from fuel vapors backing up through the intake manifold. Either way, contamination makes the MAF sensor sluggish, and often sets a P0171 or P0174 lean code.

The fix is to clean the sensor element with aerosol electronics cleaner (CRC makes a good product for this). The MAF sensor is located inside the air filter housing on some applications (Windstar, for example) or between the air filter and throttle body. Spray the sensor element with electronics cleaner, let it soak for about 10 minutes, then repeat. DO NOT use any other type of cleaner as this may damage the sensor. Also, DO NOT touch, scrub or attempt to physically clean the sensor element as this too can ruin the sensor.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/maf_sensors.htm

HOW TRUE!

I replaced my MAF Sensor and P0171/P0174 that i thought came from opening the intake manifold has gone and my LTFT is now very close to zero, which has not happened in a long while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: