MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Minivans now cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

With the shrinking market, I figured there isn't much to compare out there but its good to know that the market's getting "hot" again.

Full Article - Minivans now cool?

NY Times on Jan 3, 2011 wrote:

Mocked as Uncool, the Minivan Rises Again
Published: January 3, 2011

DETROIT — Could driving a minivan, the ultimate embodiment of the suburban family vehicle, ever be considered cool?

The automakers are trying mightily to persuade us.

In marketing campaigns featuring heavy-metal theme songs, rapping parents, secret agents in cat masks, pyrotechnics and even Godzilla, minivan makers are trying to recast the much-ridiculed mom-mobile as something that parents can be proud — or at least unashamed — of driving.

Toyota led the effort early last spring with a campaign for its Sienna model that features a self-indulgent couple rapping about rolling through the cul-de-sacs with their posse of kids in their “Swagger Wagon.”

“The stories we heard were, ‘I just don’t want to be seen in a minivan. I don’t like being the soccer-mom joke or feeling like I’ve given up all trace of my identity to be a parent,’ ” said Richard Bame, Toyota’s national marketing manager for trucks and minivans.

Other automakers have jumped on the theme, too. For example, in a series of ads that began this fall, Honda claims its 2011 Odyssey “beckons like no van before.” One spot deploys a song by the metal rockers Judas Priest to awe a grocery-toting father with the van’s capabilities. In another, a couple seeking a romantic night out finds an Odyssey with rose petals spilling out of the sliding doors, chocolate-covered strawberries in a cooler compartment and a fire crackling on the rear-seat video screen.

Chrysler, which invented minivans in 1983, plans to offer a high-powered version of its 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan, aimed at fathers, which it has nicknamed the “man van.”

And Ford Motor, which stopped making minivans in 2006, is jumping back into the game with the diminutive C-Max. The seven-passenger vehicle is about two feet shorter than the Odyssey and Sienna and offers high-tech features like sensors that allow drivers to open the rear liftgate simply by waving a leg under the bumper.

Ford calls the C-Max a compact “people mover” and hopes its European design will make the vehicle practical for families without the unflattering “minivan” label. “Many are hard pressed to notice it has sliding doors. That wasn’t by accident,” said a Ford spokesman, Said Deep.

Having spent recent years making minivans more child-friendly through amenities like dual-screen entertainment systems and reconfigurable seating, the automakers are now focused on making them more appealing to adults, especially men, who have shied away from the vehicles and their connotations. Nearly every minivan sold in the United States has been redesigned in 2010 to offer flashier looks, more advanced technology and a sportier ride.

Making a minivan seem hip might be a stretch, but the new marketing efforts seem to be paying dividends, although the vehicles remain a small niche of the auto market.

The Toyota Sienna spots have become a Web sensation. The original ad drew more than 7.8 million views on YouTube, and the term “swagger wagon” — coined by the actor playing the father, Brian Huskey — has been adopted by some parents as a generic term for minivans.

Analysts credit the Toyota campaign with helping to increase sales of the Sienna by 18.5 percent through November — double the industry average for minivans and a rare bright spot for Toyota, whose overall sales have been flat since bad publicity over product recalls.

Sales of the Honda Odyssey are up 42 percent since October, when the 2011 model and new ad campaigns were introduced.

Colin McGraw, who has three young daughters and is expecting a fourth child in March, bought a 2011 Odyssey after discovering that most crossovers, which provide the capacity of a sport utility vehicle or minivan but are generally smaller and have four hinged doors, offered less cargo space and lower fuel economy.

“Minivans just make more sense for families,” said Mr. McGraw, a software consultant in Castle Rock, Colo. “They’re easier to get kids in and out of.”

At the Weymouth Honda dealership near Boston, the general manager, Jason Tobias, said the new Odyssey, with a bold new exterior that has been described as ugly in some reviews, has been gaining fans rapidly. Each one arrives on the lot already sold, and there is a waiting list for the top-end Touring Elite trim level, which sells for more than $40,000.

“With the new design, I think that it’s changed a lot of people’s opinions,” Mr. Tobias said. “So many people used to say, ‘I’ll never drive a minivan,’ and then, guess what? It’s called children.”

Chrysler just started shipping the updated versions of the Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan to dealers last month, but their sales rose even before that as Chrysler ramped up its advertising. One of the seemingly nonsensical — and certainly nontraditional — commercials showed suit-clad adults donning cat and mouse masks to prepare for a gang-style fight.

Minivans have a long way to go before coming even close to regaining the popularity they enjoyed a decade ago. They account for just 4 percent of all new-vehicle sales in the United States, compared with 20 percent for crossovers, according to Autodata, which tracks industry sales.

Automakers were on pace to sell about 450,000 minivans last year, a 9.3 percent increase from 2009 but far below the peak of 1.37 million in 2000. And the growth in minivan sales trails the overall domestic auto industry, which grew 11.1 percent through November.

Jack Nerad, editorial director at the Kelley Blue Book, which provides information about vehicles to consumers, said he thought the minivan segment was no longer shrinking. But whether it can grow again depends on how much the automakers can shed the stigma of vans.

“I don’t think anybody can dispute the functionality of a minivan for a family,” he said. “They’re not going to blow you away the way a coupe would, but in terms of what they do, they’re pretty amazing.”

But Chris Cedergren, a partner with Iceology, an automotive marketing consultancy in Los Angeles, said the vehicle would remain a tough sell to shoppers, no matter how well it might suit their needs, because of the image problem.

“Minivans quickly became appliances, and no one wants a white washing machine or a white refrigerator,” he said. “They want something they feel proud of driving, and they don’t want to be embarrassed.”

That’s why Kristen Howerton, a marriage and family therapist in Costa Mesa, Calif., never wanted to own a minivan. She disliked them so much that she titled her popular parenting blog “Rage Against the Minivan.”

“It’s just a symbol of women becoming the invisible, exchangeable mom — the soccer mom — where we all look the same and no longer have a sense of what’s cool,” Mrs. Howerton said.

But last year, she and her husband found that going anywhere with four young children had become impossible. Many of her readers suggested the unthinkable.

After searching desperately for an alternative, Mrs. Howerton gave in and bought a Toyota Sienna. “As much as I was opposed to it initially, it really has made life easier,” she said. “Mobility is more important than any standards I’m trying to uphold in my mind.”

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

We just went through the same process of looking at crossovers and SUVs, but came to the same conclusion: only a minivan will meet our needs. We are in the process of selling our much loved MPV and have already bought a (gasp!) Town and Country. (That will be a separate thread).

They really make the minivans for families. The storage capacity of the T&C is amazing along with a respectable towing capacity.

When people kid me about driving a minivan I tell them that I don't need a vehicle to improve my self-image; I feel absolutely no less "manly" by driving a minivan. Maybe it's the opposite: those men driving a minivan are so manly they don't need an SUV, crossover, sports coupe, to improve their image! Wink

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

There really isn't anything that can match the utility of a minivan. Congrats on the new ride, Gebco!
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
PhilGood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

Patiently waiting for the Ford C-Max Grand...

03 Silver Mazda MPV ES/GFX
10 White Volvo XC60
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

I always thought Ford was going to bring the S-Max out first since it is a bigger vehicle. But the C-Max is very nice. I drove a diesel version of the previous gen and it was a very comfortable vehicle. That one had rear swing doors though. And unlike the Mazda5, I don't think it had 3 rows unless they made some modifications with the new version.

EDIT: So it looks like the new one has 3 rows .... Car and Driver C-Max review

Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

Test drove a Mazda5 last week (had a test drive giftcard offer from Mazda) - it was fine - but too small at this time. I think we'd have the same issue with the C-Max.

Still want a Mazda 8.

With 9 years on our MPV I suspect that we'll be getting a replacement van in the next year.

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

$25-30K for the C-Max Shocked

but 230+hp from the 1.6 liter ecoboost engine, sweet.

Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

Seems Ford is bringing us the passenger version of the updated Transitconnect.

Minivans are now cool? I thought they always were:

I hyperlinked like a boss so let me know if they don't work.
I have a 3rd gen Plymouth and I did put in the drilled pedals like that too!

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
sentravq

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

Mini vans rock, but i would love a station wagon, particularly an Audi RS4 avant!
Pele

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

Only certain minivans are cool.

I personally refer to the MPV as a Mazda6 Wagon with 3rd row seating.

The engine is identical to the Mazda6. The transmission is geared slightly differently... But other than that, mechanically they're almost the same.

Besides, look at the history of the Ford Duratec V6 engine that's in the MPV... Sourced from Cosworth, Ford's European race engineering partner, design input from Porsche...

Some suspension and exhaust work will only increase the fun, but stock it feels MUCH better than any other minivan or even sedan offerings from other makes.

Besides, how many other makers put their minivans out on a track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dhfeSHsNGU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMc32KVsltU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERpsgECPjoU

2003 ES - Coastal Blue Metallic - Side Airbags - Power Sliding Doors - Leather - Rear A/C (Original Options)

Self installed rear heat; heated mirrors, fog lights, large wiper bottle, Heavy duty wiper motor. Working on the whole 4-Seasons Package; Just need a transmission cooler.
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTEy3sVqhw

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-craziest-minivan-ive-ever-seen-977274333?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans now cool. Reply with quote

not the crazy
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: