MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Oil pan leak repair $2500??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsMJM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

Hi, I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I post in the wrong area..

I took my 2000 MPV in for a quote this morning to have an oil leak repaired. It's leaking onto the exhaust and is very smelly.

The mechanic said it the sump and timing cover and hubby also mentioned something about the front crank seal. I was quoted $2500 as they would have to pull the motor out. Does this sound correct?

I think we will give it a go on the weekend ourselves if this is a correct quote.
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

Is this a dealer, or a local mechanic. You took it in for a oil leak and you got 3 problems all of the sudden. At least get a second opinion. But dont tell the other mechanic want you already know
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
brages

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

I'm not sure the motor has to be removed, but the timing cover is a likely source and is a real hassle. The crank seal is on the timing cover, so it's just part of the job. And the oil pan (aka sump) is probably leaking, too. Oil pan is a bit of an annoyance, but not a horrible job. Timing cover is a toughie -- looks like it at least, I haven't tried mine yet.
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

The 2000 had a bad design that was prone to leaking from the oil pan gasket, and was re-designed later with an integrated seal.

I had the same problem (as well as many others here) of oil leaking all over the exhaust pipe and burning. Because the oil pan is right on top of the exhaust pipe. I changed the oil pan gasket with the Fel-Pro aftermarket "Improved Design" gasket from Rockauto.dot.com for $19.55.

I would suspect that the majority of your oil leak and smoking oily exhaust pipe can be fixed by simply replacing the oil pan gasket.

If you want to go all out and get the new style oil pan with integrated gasket, that would have to come from the Dealer and the price would be north of $200. Or, you could get the Fel-Pro gasket only and reuse your existing pan for $20 and that works great also.

I would suggested just replacing the gasket. The only reason to replace the entire oil pan would be if you stripped the threads where the oil drain plug goes from over tightening.

The job can be done in an afternoon. It is fairly straight forward, the only thing a bit of a chore is removing the portion of the exhaust pipe to gain access to oil pan removal.

I'd try this first. It will either completely fix your problem, or significantly reduce your problem to the point where it is not worth doing the rest of the things you posted.

See this post for instructions. -->> http://mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=114
MrsMJM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

Thank you for your responses Smile

It was a local mechanic that I went to. I was given two oil leak sites when I went to the mechanic and my hubby said crank seal. I, not being totally mechanically minded didn't realise that the crank seal was a part of the timing cover .. Or part of the job.

I think I will just replace the gasket. Would the oil burning on the exhaust be a fire risk? I've been told not to drive the car (there is a fair bit sitting on there). Hubby said it won't catch on fire and mechanics said it probably would.

Thanks for the advice. It really has helped!
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

It "probably" won't catch fire.

But in the mean time, until you get the chance to change the oil pan gasket. You can just get under there with a rag and wipe down all the oil. Another good way to clean it is get a can of brake cleaner, put a big piece of cardboard under the van, and spray all the oil down. It will all disintegrate and fall off. When using brake cleaner, just try and be careful to only spray the metal parts (exhaust pipe, oil pan, engine block, etc). Try to avoid anything rubber or plastic, because the brake cleaner is hard on non-metal parts.

What is leaking is the oil pan gasket, I am almost certain of that. If you look at step #7 in the instructions in that link I referenced, you can even see a small oil leak around the crank seal, and that person didn't fix that either. But don't worry about that. So what if it leaks one or two drops per week. Not worth fixing that. You'll probably stop 80 to 90 percent of the oil by just changing the oil pan gasket. Then clean everything up with rags and brake cleaner, and you won't see another drop of oil for another couple years, no worries.

Last edited by mazda-fla on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

So let me get this straight.

* Mechanic says $2,500 to replace multiple oils seals, when probably 90% of the oil is coming from the one cheap and easy gasket to replace.

* Need to pull the engine.

* "Hurry up, act fast, and pay me to do it! Your car will catch fire!"

How much you want to bet the mechanic changes the 20 dollar oil pan gasket, cleans the engine with engine cleaner, charges you $2,500, and calls it a day.

My advice is to find another mechanic.
et16

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

I agree with mazda-fla. Do the pan gasket. Shop around for prices. Try a high-mileage oil like Maxlife or Lubro-Moly Motor Oil Saver to swell the other gaskets and seals. They might not need to be replaced.
brages

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

mazda-fla wrote:
So let me get this straight.

* Mechanic says $2,500 to replace multiple oils seals, when probably 90% of the oil is coming from the one cheap and easy gasket to replace.

Timing cover leaks are pretty common on these vans and they can leak quite a bit. 90% is optimistic; I replaced my pan gasket and it didn't help much because the timing cover is the problem.
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

When I rebuilt our overheated 2000 long ago, I believe I remember installing the short-block (block, pistons and crank) to the transmission ... and then installing the rest of the engine components in-place. Followed by the manifolds, etc. This approach kept the weights manageable. 100k+ miles later, the engine still runs well with no leaks. Of course, during the repair, the "book" was followed to the letter ... all torqueing with wrench, etc.

My point is, it is a bit of work to replace the front cover gasket ... but it is "do-able", and there is sufficient wrench room in the engine bay.
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

My money is still on the oil pan gasket. Cheap and easy to change.

Since these vans are getting up there in age, I am at the point of doing the easy and cheap things first, then taking a pause for a few weeks, then reassessing the situation to see if further, more complicated, steps are needed.

Change the oil pan gasket, spray everything down with brake cleaner, and call it an afternoon.

Then drive around for two weeks, jack up the van, and take a peak to see what the next step would be.
MrsMJM

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

Mazda-Fla yep! That's basically it.. along with " I knew this is not what you wanted to hear"

I will order a gasket today and see how we go changing it on the weekend. I think we will stick to just changing the oil pan and see how it goes.

I use the car for my business (Family Day Care) so it's important that the car is safe. When he said it will most likely catch on fire, I decided that I would not risk driving it when most of the time I have 5 kids in harnessed car seats.

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I will show my Hubby the link and will let you know how much damage he's caused over the weekend Wink
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pan leak repair $2500?? Reply with quote

In reference to the timing chain cover, see this thread and the thread(s) it links to: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=27786

I will be the first to tell you to try a good oil seal leak product first, though. On our MPV, this completely fixed the leak in the front seal, and slowed (but did not completely fix) leaks in the oil pan gasket and timing chain cover and/or valve cover gaskets. I ended up replacing the oil pan gasket, and at some point I will need to address what might (or might not) be the timing chain cover leak. I say "might not be" because the last time I took a good look at it, I pretty much convinced myself that this was instead a leak coming from the rear valve cover, which is something that I probably won't address until the next time I have to remove the air intake for some reason (rear plugs, coils, or whatever).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: