MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Automatic Jatco JA5A-EL same as in the Mazda 6?
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Jatco JA5A-EL same as in the Mazda 6? Reply with quote

Have you been doing any type of transmission fluid maintenance? If not then it may be time to start.
crystalion

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Jatco JA5A-EL same as in the Mazda 6? Reply with quote

OK this is a back in the day tranny story.

the clutch drums are basically steels and frictions. the heavier-sturdier trannys would have 5-6 frictions and steels. Such as the GM Turbo 400 and the old Ford C-6.

Many times heavy cars were made with an insufficient amount of clutches in the drums. The Ford C-4 which was not a bad tranny but when put into a 4000lb car or Van they would and could be easily destroyed .

The drums have a hard plastic lip sealed piston which when fluid from behind/underneath is pressured the steels and frictions lock up and you get a new gear.

The problem begins with having to few plates in the druns--2 frictions and steels is not alot to pull a minivan !!!!

The way around or performance ways is they would use a lower/shorter piston which would allow for more plates to be put into the drum.

I seriously give you kudos for getting into your tranny the way you did. Not many people understand how they work -less take it apart -find the problem and order new parts !!!!!
cbeatti2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Jatco JA5A-EL same as in the Mazda 6? Reply with quote

@scross

I was at ~130k (KM) (so 80k miles) when it first flared up so I quickly upgraded to Dexron VI (Flushed as per Bubba's tutorial). Old fluid was oxidized of course but didn't seem burnt, nor is the transmission slipping. I haven't tried any additives as I doubt they can do any better than Dexron VI.
leaf

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Jatco JA5A-EL same as in the Mazda 6? Reply with quote

The hard to shift to gear 3 problem came with ''hard braking'', was this common to you as well?
Will it be sorted out once the tranny is repaired?
Pele

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Jatco JA5A-EL same as in the Mazda 6? Reply with quote

If anyone else is searching for this problem, I just got my Automatic Transmission Service Group (ATSG) books for the JF506E (JA5A-EL) in the mail.

It appears that there are many electrical connectors that are different between the two transmissions.

The Range switch on the Mazda 6 shows P-R-N-D-M.
The Range switch on the Mazda MPV shows P-R-N-D-3-2.

The final drive ratio is different. 3.23:1 on the Mazda6; 3.04:1 on the MPV.

It appears that you'd need to fabricate a wiring harness adapter to get the transmission to work properly and you'd lose a bit of fuel economy (but pick up a bit of torque) with a transmission swap.

2003 ES - Coastal Blue Metallic - Side Airbags - Power Sliding Doors - Leather - Rear A/C (Original Options)

Self installed rear heat; heated mirrors, fog lights, large wiper bottle, Heavy duty wiper motor. Working on the whole 4-Seasons Package; Just need a transmission cooler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: