MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

VTCS Solenoid, where is it?!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgw_300e
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: VTCS Solenoid, where is it?!? Reply with quote

So, I'm getting the VTCS solenoid CEL, but where the heck is the damn thing?!? The only images I could find after hours of searching the interwebs are images of the Mazda3 engine. Apparently VTCS delete is a common upgrade for our hatchback homiez.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to this: one of these is the VTCS and the other is the VICS (I hope), but which is which? Or am I just completely lost?

Here's a close-up of the one towards the back of the intake manifold, towards the firewall:

And here's a really close-up that shows the vac lines that come off of it. The one on the bottom of the pic runs across the manifold to a port right downstream from the TB.

The weird thing is the cap. there's no vacuum when you take the cap off with the engine idling AND it has a Mitsibishi logo on it.

Here's a close-up of the other item in question:

It has an electrical connector and a thick cable that runs underneath the intake manifold. Here's a really close-up. The arrow indicates where the cable is. It's big, like a throttle cable:

Anyone know what the heck these are? Anyone know what a VTCS solenoid costs?

2001 VW Jetta GLS
2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 (Sold)
1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee (Killed in Action)
2001 Mazda MPV
1993 Mercedes W124 E Class (Sold Sad )

Last edited by mgw_300e on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: "VTCS Solenoid stuck Reply with quote

Hello,

Your subject line is too long prohibiting replies.

It's actually the VICS (Variable Induction Control Solenoid) which is part of the IMRC, the aluminum box mounted to the front of the engine. It's not the small plastic valve at the rear adjacent to the EGR and IAC. The IMRC is an electronic, motor-driven cable device that opens the six throttle butterflies on the intake runner at 3300 RPM and higher. Unfortunately, the only test that AllData shows requires a NGS tester to simulate operation.

I've never had a problem with mine so really can't comment on repair. However, was the IMRC box removed recently (like to change spark plugs or plug wires?). If so, the box may have been twisted or not put back in the same orientation so the cable that runs from it to the area beneath the intake manifold may be kinked or twisted, keeping it from operating. Try revving the engine to a steady 3300 RPM or above - if it dies or seems to run out of gas, the throttle butterflies aren't opening indicating a problem with the box. The IMRC box has an electronic circuit within it but I don't think is repairable or adjustable - only replaceable. Also, check any wiring harnesses attached to it.

Also see this old Club thread http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=14920

Good luck,

Steve
mgw_300e
Knucklehead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: VTCS Solenoid, where is it?!? Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I think I may have goofed it up during a recent plug change. I'm going to check the routing tonight.

So, what's the other thing in the photo?

2001 VW Jetta GLS
2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4x4 (Sold)
1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee (Killed in Action)
2001 Mazda MPV
1993 Mercedes W124 E Class (Sold Sad )
Jetcraft77

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: VTCS Solenoid, where is it?!? Reply with quote

mgw_300e,
Would you know what vacuum hose connects to the right side (looking from front of van) that is closest to the cap in your second picture? I disconnected these when I replaced my manifold gasket but, I am pretty sure that 1 was missing as since I bought the van. I have been getting a P0171 code for a while which is most likely because of this vacuum leak.

VACUUM CONNECTIONS.jpg

VACUUM CONNECTIONS.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1973 time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: