MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

HELP fix a fallen MPV! Northern VA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foolish
Man of Many Mazdas!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: HELP fix a fallen MPV! Northern VA Reply with quote

Hey folks, I need some help with my MPV.

It's been sitting for over a year, has a few problems, and I need to finally dig in, diagnose this beast, and figure out if it's worth saving or just time to donate it away.

Shooting for next weekend, October 9-10. I have a couple of people lined up to help, but would love the chance to meet some MPVClub folks and could certainly use more help.

Goals are to:

Roll the beast into the driveway from the street.
Install a starter. Hope that allows the next step.
Get it to run.
Find the coolant leak.
Change oil, check old oil for coolant. - STOP HERE if I find it -> Strip stereo equipment, donate vehicle!
Otherwise:
Fix coolant leak.
Drain/fill coolant system.
Change out o2 sensor.

Anyone want to help? Please?

-Eric
'03.5 Protege5 - Tokico Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, AWR 21mm rear sway, AWR adjustable endlinks, B&M SS, Injen CAI, Wagner Shorty Header
2010 Mazda5, 5-Speed Manual
'00 MPV LX - 3" CAI, P5 Wheels, MSP sub/amp setup in custom box, Tow hitch, 110,000+ miles, SOLD!!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP fix a fallen MPV! Northern VA Reply with quote

could be a problem getting it started if you had gas in the system for a year. seafoam could be your friend here.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Foolish
Man of Many Mazdas!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP fix a fallen MPV! Northern VA Reply with quote

The MPV is ALIVE!! After FINALLY tracking down a starter at a junkyard, and sending my wonderful friend Fadi to get it, it turned out the starting problem stemmed from a nearly rusted away negative battery cable end!

The overheating problem and coolant leak were from a dying water pump. We replaced that, changed the oil and coolant, now it just needs an o2 sensor, which I picked up tonight. Safety and emissions inspections will follow, then registration, tags, and I'll have a functional van!

Huge thanks to Fadi, Katie and Shawn!

-Eric
'03.5 Protege5 - Tokico Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, AWR 21mm rear sway, AWR adjustable endlinks, B&M SS, Injen CAI, Wagner Shorty Header
2010 Mazda5, 5-Speed Manual
'00 MPV LX - 3" CAI, P5 Wheels, MSP sub/amp setup in custom box, Tow hitch, 110,000+ miles, SOLD!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> MPV Club Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: