MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Problems with gear selector indicator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

Hi! I have a 2000 mpv that when I put the gear shift to "D" it also highlights a box around "N" and "2" also. Van seems to run fine other then this problem that just came up. Could it possibly be a faulty transaxle range switch. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Smile
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

pipedoctor wrote:
Could it possibly be a faulty transaxle range switch.

Very possible... do you also have the cel on?

2010 Toyota RAV4
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

No check engine lights, no indicator lights of any kind. Transmission does what it's suppose to do in all positions but highlights "N", "D", and "2" while in drive. If I drop to "N" , "R", or "P" those are highlighted properly, and also when I go past "N", "D", and "2" to the "1" position everything is o.k. , it's just in that middle area. Does that signal not come from that transaxle range switch located below the battery area?

Thanks Smile
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

Yes it does come from the transaxle range switch. Maybe you should just drop by your dealer and have them look at it I don't know
2010 Toyota RAV4
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

I contacted Mazda for this switch. It is P/N FB02-21-444A and they want $263.00(cdn) for it. I then had this number cross referenced at a Ford dealer and it crossed over to a P/N SW-5166 at a cost of $155.00(cdn). I oredered the Ford part and am going to attempt install this weekend. I will post as to how I make out and if this actually fixes the problem. shuffle

Wish me luck!
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

pipedoctor wrote:
I contacted Mazda for this switch. It is P/N FB02-21-444A and they want $263.00(cdn) for it. I then had this number cross referenced at a Ford dealer and it crossed over to a P/N SW-5166 at a cost of $155.00(cdn).

I apologize for my naïveté, but how do you cross reference? I'm curious to find out if other parts are cheaper when purchased for a domestic ford (everything from IAC valve to cabin air filters, etc)

Thanks (and good luck!),

Dave

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

I second Dave's question! I'd love to know if savings can be had on common parts!

Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

Picked up the part tonight and had a couple of spare hours, so I got ambious and installed the switch. The part I used was a Ford part Sw-5166 and stamped right on that part was also the actual Mazda number FB02-21-444A. I believe the Ford part will also fit into a Contour, thus the cross reference, as these vehicles obviously share common parts. For anyone who is experiencing the problem I described, I have now installed the part and everything is again o.k. The Ford part also saved me nearly $110.00(cdn). Mazda should be embarassed for selling the same part at such an elevated price. Embarassed

Thanks for all your help guys, and this is a great forum!!
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

I guess I should be a liitle more clear on how I cross referenced. I got the part number for the part I needed from a Mazda dealer. Knowing that the Ford Contour shares similar parts, I then phoned a helpful Ford dealer, and gave him the Mazda part number. He entered that number into his system and it crossed over to Ford part number and also at a greatly reduced price. Will all common parts be cheaper? One will have to check on a part by part basis to see if there are cost savings across the board. But then again, it's just a matter of a phone call. Very Happy

Hope that helps!
TeamEskimo
MPVClub Preacher
Yer walkin' the plank!
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Pipedoc!

You know, you would think one of us would have thought of doing that a while ago... Embarassed Fresh blood and fresh ideas for the Club!

Brent

2002 Sunlight Silver LX - 63,000 miles - 4 Seasons, Luxury, Security Packages, Rear Air, Cassette, Roof Rack, Step Plate and Cargo Net
'03 Dodge Neon SXT - 84,000 miles
'98 Chevy Suburban Diesel 4x4 - 158,000 miles, 6300 lbs, 23 mpg - Big rig!
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

pipedoctor

Congrats and glad to see your new switch did fix the issue. How hard was it to replace?

Also many thanks for the crossreference suggestion about parts...

2010 Toyota RAV4
pipedoctor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

I consider myself mechanically inclined, but on a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being hardest, I'd have to rate it at about 6, mostly because of where it's located. I had to remove the battery and battery tray, as well as the metal bracket below the battery tray in order to get enough room to maneuver my wrenches. There are also some hoses in this area that make it a little difficult, but if a person is careful I don't think you'd have any problem. Basically 2 wrench sizes, 10mm and 13/16 (worked for me on the nut off the top of the transaxle stem). Two hours later, and that's mostly because I'm careful, everything is back to normal. I hope that helps people. I find that reading the various posts,especially when there is a common problem, along with all the TSB's and recall information, most helpful. I have visited various other forums and clubs and find the mpvclub to be top notch. Keep up the good work! Cool
rcroadtrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

a couple of years later....(2011, Australia)
my 2001 2.5 just came back from the mechanics, it needed one of those selector switches....

but.. they're getting scarce....

and expensive!!! $500au!!!!!

thanks for that ford part #, I'll try to find one of those... here the Ford models were called 'Telstar' (rebadged mazda 626) and 'Probe' (rebadged MX-6).

what killed mine? COOLANT!!!! there's a leak just above the switch....
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with gear selector indicator Reply with quote

Amazon sells a Motorcraft SW5166 Neutral Safety Switch for $59. The Amazon "Make sure it fits" applet claims it does not fit a 2000-2001 Mazda MPV, but I doubt the applet knows about cross referencing Motorcraft and Mazda part numbers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: