MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emhiser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

Mine is cracked. Anyone know where those could be had online? I can't seem to find any. Has anyone used generic ones successfully? Suggestions?
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

If you can't find one I suppose if I was going to put anything generic in the car it would be this. There isn't much they do. You could get one from your dealer, though.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

Depending on where the crack is and how bad it is, you can probably make temporary repairs using something like JB Weld or similar - maybe something made especially for plastics. I've made a few "impossible" repairs with this stuff over the years, but it doesn't always hold up.
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

Hello,

I wouldn't bother trying to repair the tank. I've tried all type of epoxies made for plastics and even had it plastic-welded but the leak persisted. It's a frequent replacement item per my Mazda parts guy. A new unit from Mazda is about $70 and comes with a pressure cap.

Good luck,

Steve
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

I've temporarily repaired plastic components before (a lawn mower gas tank, coolant overflow jug, even a partially-plastic radiator), but they all eventually started leaking again. Ironically, the radiator repair held up the longest, but that was epoxy plus fiberglass cloth for extra strength. I agree that the best option here is just to replace the tank, but sometimes it's kind of hard to justify spending $70 or so (I've paid $50 before - twice - for a Toyota version) for what should probably be only a $10 or maybe $20 component.

If the leak is where you can reach it from the inside somehow (maybe with a dowel or paint stir stick or something), then I would probably try JB Waterweld or Marineweld on it first - on both the inside and outside. Depending on the plastic this stuff may not want to stick, though, so you might have to go with something specially made for plastics. You might also consider using a layer of silicone sealant first, before putting on anything else.
PeteT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

I just picked up a replacement from a junk yard. Got it out of a 2001 MPV with 59k miles before it was wrecked..

Cost: $20 + $15 shipping for the bottle and radiator cap. No other autoparts places had a clue where to get one!

After loosing several gallons of antifreeze over 3 weeks - fixing this was a huge weight off my shoulders!
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

OK, great, but be aware that both of the Toyota bottles that I replaced were after relatively minor wrecks (fender benders) - not immediately (or else insurance would have take care of it), but at least several months later. I can only assume that the wrecks caused the mounting brackets (which were molded into the tanks) to weaken and ultimately fail at a later time; these may also have eventually failed on the own, anyway, without the wrecks. This type of failure must have been a fairly common problem because the new tanks had much more heavily reinforced brackets. If I were you I would carefully inspect the replacement tank before I installed it, just in case.
PeteT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

scross wrote:
OK, great, but be aware that both of the Toyota bottles that I replaced were after relatively minor wrecks (fender benders) - not immediately (or else insurance would have take care of it), but at least several months later. I can only assume that the wrecks caused the mounting brackets (which were molded into the tanks) to weaken and ultimately fail at a later time; these may also have eventually failed on the own, anyway, without the wrecks. This type of failure must have been a fairly common problem because the new tanks had much more heavily reinforced brackets. If I were you I would carefully inspect the replacement tank before I installed it, just in case.

Absolutly! Had the thing holding water for 2 days before getting the guts to install it! This was my 1st attempt at fixing anything other than a flat tire - so confidence wasn't high at all. Its been about a month in the van now and I'm still checking the antifreeze level every few days - but it's stayed put...

But I do have to thank the people on this site for bringing it to my attention that this can happen. It was wierd - only leaked when the van was cooling down after getting to my destination. never seemed to loose significant amounts while driving - but stop, shutdown and leave it for 2 hours - loose 3/4s the bottle.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

What you describe is exactly what is supposed to happen, as far as I know, at least to a certain degree. The coolant bottle is supposed to take on excess (expanded) coolant from the radiator when it is hot, then the radiator is supposed to suck this back in as it cools down. So the level in the coolant bottle will change up and down during the course of the day. If this change was excessive, or if you actually saw a crack/leak, then that's a different story though.
PeteT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

scross wrote:
What you describe is exactly what is supposed to happen, as far as I know, at least to a certain degree. The coolant bottle is supposed to take on excess (expanded) coolant from the radiator when it is hot, then the radiator is supposed to suck this back in as it cools down. So the level in the coolant bottle will change up and down during the course of the day. If this change was excessive, or if you actually saw a crack/leak, then that's a different story though.

Nope this was a massive leak... I'd have 2/3rd of the bottle empty and a puddle under the van and around the motor mount... just strange that it didn't happen under pressure - only when it was cooling down after the engine was off
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

Speaking of the radiator coolant bottle reservoir, I had a coolant change at the dealership the other day. The reservoir is way overfilled past the full mark, when cold. It's probably just a couple inches from the top cap. Is this a problem?
2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

Probably not, as you'll notice that there is a small overflow hose attached at the neck under the cap, and that's there to allow excess coolant to trickle out if it gets hot and too full and fills up all the space in the bottle. It also allows air back in when things cool down and the radiator sucks coolant back in from the bottle. So don't be surprised if one day soon you see a coolant drip from under there at that hose. No biggie, as it is doing what it's supposed to do, and it should quickly resolve itself.

The downside here is (a) that drip can be messy (in a garage, for example), (b) antifreeze is quite dangerous for dogs, cats, and other critters that might find it tasty, and (c) this doesn't apply so much to this particular bottle (given it's size and shape), but generally the more full a bottle the heavier it is and the more stress is placed on its mounting brackets, especially if you are bouncing down a rough road or something. I've seen situations where a bottle (usually the window washer bottle, as these can be quite large) was so full and so heavy that it actually caused its mounting brackets to start cracking.
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Mazda MPV Radiator Coolant Bottle Reservoir Reply with quote

Thanks. Maybe I'll syphon some coolant out.
2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: