MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

HELP! Hood Latch Stuck
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmedic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Well I did it now. Finished foglight installation on my 03 ES only to find that somehow I caught the hood safety latch under the nose plastic. Someone please look at your hood latch and see if there's anyway to push the safety off with a long screw driver and open the hood, or am I screwed again!
Located in Blue Grass state; home of beautiful horses, fast women, and bourbon whiskey

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Good one bro. That is why they say put back together in reverse order. Well I'm so sorry. Can you pop the hood up at least from the cabin? Or it stays shut stack? If you can pop it up a bit, you can try force it up all the way lifting the nose plastic cover as the whole thing is one piece. If that doesn't seems to work perhaps only option would be to unscrew the front screw attaching the lever to the safety hook. See the picture circled. You should be able to inser screwdriver with the propper key attached to it, oh btw it is size 10MM and it doesn't go smooth on it, you need to push down a bit to squeeze the plastic cover, you might to have even more effort with it as your lever is perhaps lifting the plastic cover.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oldmedic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Ok Papa, I can see the bolt you pictured and with enough extensions might even be able to get to it or the two latch mechanism bolts on either side. Are there only two bolts on the mechanism itsself? And will the latch assembly come free with those two bolts? But why can't I deflect the safety catch with a screwdriver? oldmedic
Located in Blue Grass state; home of beautiful horses, fast women, and bourbon whiskey

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Well the safety is hard screwed together with the lever by that one screw circled. You can not move it as the lever under the plastic cover keeps it from moving (that what's your case I suppose). If you unscrew that circled screw, there is still a bit of an indent to have traction of the lever on the safety hook, so you will have to poke it with something, after you remove the srew and free up the safety hook from the lever you might be able to move it with some stick and lift the hood. It will require a bit of strenght, as the safety hook is mounted with spring which returns it in the locked position.

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oldmedic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

One more nagging question, will removing the two bolts holding the whole mechanism allow me to open the hood or are there more unseen bolts holding everything? The reason I ask is I can easily get to these: the safety hook bolt is harder to get to. oldmedic

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

OK, here is the scoop.

Those two bolts are holding the in cabin release mechanism only. The safety hook is attached on L shaped thing comming out of the frame and removing those two bolts will do nothing for you.

Only option for you is to remove that one I circled.

Sorry.

Man, how could you cram that lever under the plastic, it seems to me sticking top wards quite a bit, it had to give some resistance, didn't it?

oldmedic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Not a bit. Everything went together smooth as silk till I dropped the hood down. It made a strange klink and I tried to reopen the hood. When I couldn't feel the safety release lever it hit me what I had done. Man I wanted to find the Jack Daniels and get wasted. The fog lights were a Christmas present for my DW. "oldmud"

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Well... went in thegarage to try a fewthings but to no avail. Sad I agree with Lazyfox, the only way so far would be to remove the bolt he mentionned. Sorry...

But man, I still cannot figure out how you could slide this one under the plastic trim tought... Question

2010 Toyota RAV4
oldmedic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Just talent I guess cause I ain't Irish. oldmedic

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Let me see if I'm reading it right: is the hood just latched but you can't get to the lever by the latch to open the hood? So, you maybe have a 1/2" to work with as the hood is open a bit?

Maybe try something like a T square or something rigid with an angle on it to insert and pull back on the release while you 'gently' lift the hood to allow room for the plastic to give a bit. I don't know

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
Let me see if I'm reading it right: is the hood just latched but you can't get to the lever by the latch to open the hood? So, you maybe have a 1/2" to work with as the hood is open a bit?

Maybe try something like a T square or something rigid with an angle on it to insert and pull back on the release while you 'gently' lift the hood to allow room for the plastic to give a bit. I don't know

-Brian

The plastic will not give most likely, I tried that with my fingers while the hood was open and it required enormous force. It would be possible me thinks, but at cost of ripping some of those plastic fasteners or whatewer holds it in the place and also to get leverage you would mess up the front grille and perhaps the mask and a bit of paint or cchrome on edges there.

The best bet and most gentle aproach would be if he can unscrew that one bolt.

papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Well at least he succeeded with the foglights. Hope you get the hood opened without any more problems.

I hate when you try to fix something and break something else in the process...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
oldmedic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll let you know how it works out. You really know who your friends are when something like this happens. I've tried pulling off the latch on my two Chevys and its a chinch but the MPV latch won't budge a cm with the release handle captured. The only latch pictures on the internet I could find were of Gen 1 with the cabin release and safety latch combined and held with two very accessable bolts. But Gen 2 changed that. oldmedic

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Dear OldMedic, LF has a good photo of that single 10mm bolt. If you can get the extentions to remove that bolt, that should release the L shaped safety lever. After it the hood opens, I'll join you for that glass of Jack Daniels straight up. Good luck, Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
oldmedic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP! Hood Latch Stuck Reply with quote

Eureka! Solution found and problem resolved. I looped some "weed eater" line around the release hook, had my daughter lift the hood while I heaved on the line, and open she went. The long extension for my ratchet sure helped after the hood was up to remove bolt on the release arm so I didn't have to remove the front end to release it. No sooner was the hood open than a guy from the National Motor Club came by offering membership which included free locksmith services. Poor timing on his part. Thanks for all the help on this one guys. Our town just voted in "liquor by the drink" so the JD is on me if any of you ever make it to Northeast Tennessee. I still need to align my fog lights, but that can wait. My DW says they sure look sexy. Hey I might get lucky tonight! Older and Wiser oldmedic.

2003 Costal Blue ES
2002 Malibu LS
2005 Scion Tc
2000 Cavalier LS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: