MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

10 year old airbags
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mazdaBJ

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

Dear MPV owners - I am about to purchase a year 2000 MPV 2.5 V6. A 10 year old car but with only 85,000Km on the clock (I'm writing from Malaysia, hence the Km).

As a proud owner of a Mazda BJ (Protege in the US or 323 where I'm from), I know if the car has been taken car of, a Mazda could last almost a lifetime. Mine has been trouble-free since I bought it in 2003.

Back to the 2000 MPV - as a 10 year old car, I am not too sure of the airbags. Being 10 years old, how will I know if it will ever deploy in an accident that warrants deployment ? Any tips or insights would be very welcome.

mazdaBJ
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

Hi there and welcome to MPVClub. You should have airbags checked by professionals (for instance, your dealership) when they are 10years old. Your car actually conducts a self-diagnostic of the airbag systems everytime you start the vehicle, and if it detects a problem, your "AIRBAG" light will begin blinking. However, if it were me, I'd have the system checked, just for peace of mind. I recently had my 2000 Volvo V70R's airbags checked at the local dealership, and they gave them a clean bill of health. They charged me 2hrs of labor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mazdaBJ

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

Thanks for this. Seeing that you're quite a senior member of the forum and have probably owned an MPV for a long time, would you have any tips on what parts/components to look out for in a 10 year old MPV 2.5 V6 in terms of wear and tear and costly replacements ?

The Mazda MPV is relatively rare in this part of the world and there aren't many reliable local sources of knowledge on this. Thanks.

mazdaBJ
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to visually inspect the air bag system yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

Java, I think he was more asking about typical problems in general, and not air bag specific problems in his second post.

By the time a car is ten years old, you are probably better off having the individual car examined to look for problems with THAT vehicle, than trying to guess what may go wrong based on the history of other vehicles. That said, any car at ten years of age is going to have "issues" even if you can or can't predict them, so you will need to be prepared to deal with them. I know that is sort of a "non-answer" answer, but I think that is the better way to approach it.

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

Sorry you're right Dan.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

I think the sensor will tell you that there is a problem. My 13 year old VeeDub was periodically blinking the airbag light 6 months before the end of its faithful service. A knowledgable mechanic should be able to check the sensors - this is not a diy. Also be prepared if they say they need replacing. An airbag is not cheap.

As for what to look for in a 10 year old MPV, if you can find a reputable mechanic for either Mazda or Ford products, have them check the van out. We have an '03 3.0L since new and its been pretty dependable for the last 100K miles. The dealer has touched it for the last 90K miles - independent mechanic.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

No inspection can reveal if there's some reason it won't deploy, other than some electrical issue that the internal check that occurs at every start will find and alert you to. The accellerometer(s), wiring, controller, etc are all either tested at every start, or constantly monitored, or can be checked by a qualified technician, but the explosive is the real wild card.
It's a question I never thought of. Does the explosive become ineffective with age? That's about the only aspect of an airbag I can think of that this could happen to. It isn't a cartridge holding pressure so gradual loss of pressure through leaking is not an issue. The fabric is shielded from sunlight so I don't expect it to degrade within, say, 25 years. You should ask the manufacturers of the airbags what their shelf life is. My guess is they should be good for a very long time, or else they would (I would think) tell us in the owner's manual to replace them every X years, like a timing belt. It's kind of like a one time heat detector in a fire alarm system. The only way to test it is to use it, but then after that it's no good.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
kenoshabrew

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: 10 year old airbags Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
Hi there and welcome to MPVClub. You should have airbags checked by professionals (for instance, your dealership) when they are 10years old. Your car actually conducts a self-diagnostic of the airbag systems everytime you start the vehicle, and if it detects a problem, your "AIRBAG" light will begin blinking. However, if it were me, I'd have the system checked, just for peace of mind. I recently had my 2000 Volvo V70R's airbags checked at the local dealership, and they gave them a clean bill of health. They charged me 2hrs of labor.

Volvo's have a 10 year timer on their airbags that will make the light come on to FORCE an inspection after 10 years from date of manufactur. Even if there is nothing wrong with the system at all the light will come on in your V70 as it did in my S70 after ten years. A word of caution though; even if there is nothing wrong with the airbags as long as that SRS warning light is on the airbags WILL NOT FUNCTION AT ALL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: