MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jyoun3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

Hi all,

I know questions like this have been asked before, but mainly in regard to 2002-2006 MPVs. I'm confused as to exactly what to check and in which order.

I have a 2001 MPV with a 2.5l V6. It idles and revs perfectly in Park and Neutral, but will miss badly under load from about 1500 to 3500 RPM. Under hard acceleration, at RPMs above 3500, it seems to accelerate fine.
I replaced the Air Intake Manifold gasket as suggested by one of the TSBs, but the problem still exists. The dealer replaced the MAF sensor recently so I doubt that is the problem.

Any idea where I should start next on the trouble shooting list? When I had the Air Intake Manifold off, I noticed a LOT of carbon buildup and have since run a bottle of injector cleaner through the gas.

Help!
Joshua
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

Cleaning the carbon off the intake while you have it off is the best. Another possible source of a miss under load would be spark plugs / wires / coilpack.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
unclesam09

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I had (what seems) to be a similar situation on my '04 MPV last year...and I tried a variety of things too....

It took 6 months for it to get bad enough for my CEL to turn on (so I could read the codes)...ended up being my #5 "coil"

I had the #5 replaced and all 6 Spark plugs (for about 600.00) OUCH!

Steps I wish I had taken....

>Wish I had bought a tool...There is a "tool" about 75.00 that you can use to check out the coils while they are on the car (I will try and find you a website)...I found it through a mechanic in Houston, TX.

>Wish > I would have bought all 6 coils myself (then used this site) to change myself....I would have changed All Coils and Plugs, Plug Wires, PCV valve and hose at one time....

My money is on a bad "coil"....

Best of Luck...I know it's a pain driving it when the MPV acts this way...Terrible design by Mazda / Ford.
jyoun3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

unclesam09 wrote:
I had (what seems) to be a similar situation on my '04 MPV last year...and I tried a variety of things too....

It took 6 months for it to get bad enough for my CEL to turn on (so I could read the codes)...ended up being my #5 "coil"

I had the #5 replaced and all 6 Spark plugs (for about 600.00) OUCH!

Steps I wish I had taken....

>Wish I had bought a tool...There is a "tool" about 75.00 that you can use to check out the coils while they are on the car (I will try and find you a website)...I found it through a mechanic in Houston, TX.

>Wish > I would have bought all 6 coils myself (then used this site) to change myself....I would have changed All Coils and Plugs, Plug Wires, PCV valve and hose at one time....

My money is on a bad "coil"....

Best of Luck...I know it's a pain driving it when the MPV acts this way...Terrible design by Mazda / Ford.

Interesting. Luckily, the 2001 MPV has all the coils in a single coil "pack" instead of individually per cylinder. The whole pack runs about $50 - $80 bucks depending on if you get a brand name or not. So it might just be worth buying a new one, installing it myself, and seeing how it goes.

What do you think?

j
unclesam09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I didn't realize they had different coil configurations? - I don't know if it would be your coil pack causing this issue?

Check out YouTube...about testing the coil, I found some great videos showing how to test it using your Ohm meter....Found the videos after I bought the "coil" pack for my Subaru (now I have 2 good coil packs)!

On my Subaru (completely different vehicles)...I changed coil pack, plugs and plug wires, fuel filter, MAF and cleaned the throttle body...still had intermittent issues.....finally replaced my Crank Sensor all is right with the world now.

Fyi...The guy in Houston's name is: Scotty Kilmer (google him) he has a web site and a youtube site....You can also send him an email (and he DOES respond) quickly.

Good luck.

Ken
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

We have a 2000. It also has the single ignition pack that contains the three coils ... fired double-ended. The odometer is somewhere around 250k miles. The coil pack is still original.

The only poor running issue we've ever had (other than no coolant leading to blown head gaskets) was started by poor/no attention given to air filter. This led to excess oil being sucked out of crankcase ... causing heavy carbon build-up in intake manifold arteries. Very poor performance once this happened.

After removing/cleaning intake manifold, installing new filter ... took this opportunity to replace plugs and spark cables ... all ran well!
jyoun3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

12Ounce wrote:
We have a 2000. It also has the single ignition pack that contains the three coils ... fired double-ended. The odometer is somewhere around 250k miles. The coil pack is still original.

The only poor running issue we've ever had (other than no coolant leading to blown head gaskets) was started by poor/no attention given to air filter. This led to excess oil being sucked out of crankcase ... causing heavy carbon build-up in intake manifold arteries. Very poor performance once this happened.

After removing/cleaning intake manifold, installing new filter ... took this opportunity to replace plugs and spark cables ... all ran well!

I'm trying to remove the intake manifold today. I'm mostly there, but I can't figure out how to disconnect the throttle cable. Also, I assume that I have to remove the sensor that has a hose running from the exhaust since I can't see any way of detaching that hose. Is that correct?

Has anyone posted instructions for removing a 2001 MPV intake manifold?

Thanks!

j
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I think I did not remove the cables .... just unbolted throttle body and laid aside. Not sure about your other question.
jyoun3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I got it all apart. Changed plugs and wires. I'm in the process of cleaning the intake manifold; it's heavily caked with carbon. What a drag. We'll see how it runs, if it runs, tomorrow.

j
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I expect a marked improvement. Did you replace the air intake filter?
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

Hello,

While you have it apart also check the air intake tube - the rubber accordian-like hose that runs between the air filter box and throttle body. After years and countless heat-cool cycles this hose can harden and split along the folds and cause intake leaks. It's about $30 from the dealer.

Good luck,

Steve
jyoun3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I have it all back together but it's still missing under load. It idles fine, but the more load I put on the engine, the more it misses.

I'm going to replace the coil next, unless anyone has other ideas. :/

j
jyoun3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

I replaced the coil pack and that fixed it. No more missing and it runs super smooth. I now have a VERY clean engine with new spark plugs and wires. Wink

Odd, but the CEL just came on after about a half hour of driving. I'm going to pull the codes, but I can't imagine that it's anything serious. Is this is common symptom after a major tune up?

j
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

Wow! ... and congratulations. I would have never expected the coil to be the problem without CEL's! AND NOw the CEL shows up .... ??.

Perhaps loose hoses or other leaks??
jyoun3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 MPV missing / stumbling under load Reply with quote

Isn't that crazy? It was missing and sputtering like mad with no CEL. I finally get it running butter smooth and the CEL pops on. Annoying as heck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: