MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Spare Tire Removal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penet05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

I recently bought a used 2000 MPV. I don't have the user manual. Before taking a road trip, I wanted to lower the spare and put some air in it. However, I couldn't find a place to lower the spare. I checked the floor behind front passenger seat (on floor in front of 2nd row, passenger side) for a small flap of rug, but there is none. Can anyone help me to pinpoint the area to remove the spare? Thanks.
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

You are in the right area ... RH side of car, just forward of second row of seats. Try looking underneath.
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

Oh it's there alright. Slide the front seat all the way forward and the 2nd row seat all the way back, and sideways to the middle, to allow lots of elbow room while cranking. Remove any floor mats. Search more thoroughly for the carpet flap. It should be somewhere in front of the 2nd row seat.
The crank tool goes in the cranky white piece and as you crank, a couple of metal doors close over the pins on the tool so you can't remove the crank tool until the device is cranked all the way up again.
Having said all that, it is not likely to work anyway, unless the last owner recently replaced the winch assembly like I did. The cable will just bunch up in its reel. It's already tangled and misshapen, rusty etc, and the rest of the linkages are siezed with rust and will not operate. The plastic parts in the reel housing that guide the cable are broken. Even if the cable lowers, the wheel won't, because the catch that holds it up won't release. The assembly falls under the category of unnecessarily convoluted. Every one made will fail.
What you need more than a spare tire on a road trip is an AAA membership or the like. Let them handle it. It's too dangerous to change a spare on a highway. Or if you get a slow leak from a nail, you can pull out the nail, plug it with a tire plug kit and and fill it with air with a 12V compressor without even removing the wheel from the van.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 98 Grand Voyager LE
penet05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

Thank you for detailed answer. Well, I checked once again. Even I checked every inch of the carpet in that area but there is no sign of carpet flap. This leads me to think, maybe the previous owner changed the carpet completely? Also, I have found a plastic part under the 2nd row passenger seat? Is this spare tire carrier socket cap?

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1946 time(s)

Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

I don't know what that is. Probably not from the MPV.

If you look under the van, you may or may not be able to see the winch assembly. Most of it will be obscured by the wheel itself. One end is at the centre of the wheel and the other end is the cranking end. The crank is directly above that. That end, I'm gambling, should be protruding from the spare tire so you can see it.

Maybe the perfs for the flap in the rug have never been torn. That would make finding them difficult.

MPV gone Sad
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

If I still had my MPV I could give you measurements to locate it. Maybe someone else can do that.

MPV gone Sad
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/Wingmansd/2000%20Mazda%20MPV%20Fuel%20System%20Pictures/Fuel%20Pump%20Procedure%20Removal-Installation/1Rearseatbolts.jpg is a photo from another post, you can see the carpet cutout faintly at the very bottom center of the photo.
2000 MPV LX - 173,000 miles
1998 Accord EX - 120,000 miles
2011 Hyundai Sonata - 39,000 miles
1995 Saturn SW1 - Donated at 197,500 miles
2007 Hyundai Sonata - 77,000 miles
HarleyJohn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

On a side note, especially if the tire has never been lowered before, if the cable is rusty, it may not undwind as you crank the lowering winch (this happened to me). After you've cranked for a bit, if the tire hasn't started to lower, kick it a few times to dislodge the spare. Then, once lowered, grease the cable (and every other moving part) well prior to raising the spare.
darom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

On my 2002 lowering the spare wasn't that much of a problem, raising it even lubed up, took me a lot of time and cussing. I started like the OP, "just wanted to put some air into it".

Next time I am going to lower this spare-tire-from-hell, I'll attach one of these gizmos to it:
http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=Z327-CHECK-A-SPARE

Meanwhile, I am staying away from it Smile

2002 Mazda MPV LX
1967 Camaro RS
1994 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
If I still had my MPV I could give you measurements to locate it. Maybe someone else can do that.

I'll do that tonight. You could also feel around the carpet on floor of the car behind the passenger seat for the indentation in the floor.

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

I'm callin' you out Dave! Laughing

MPV gone Sad
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare Tire Removal Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
I'm callin' you out Dave! Laughing

Gaaaaa! The day got away from me and now I'm in Baltimore for two nights - guitly as charged!

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: