MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannysentme

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Hello All,

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their valuable insight. Bubba - you inspired me to do my own work, and believe it or not...it was a success!

I studied the content on here concerning 2004 MPV rough idle, rough acceleration because those were my MPV symptoms to a T! I even changed out the IAC and that did nothing. After months of this, the van finally started throwing CEL codes P0300, only to turn out as Random Misfire. Finally, it narrowed it down to P0303. I ordered three coils from www.rockauto.com STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS UF406 (which I was referred to from this forum) and found that their parts were very competitive and shipped in a timely manor. I also ordered 6 new plugs - MOTORCRAFT SP433 Platinum Plugs. I called and confirmed with the Mazda Dealer to confirm.

As recommended by another post, I too left the throttle body hanging after removing the four bolts and simply moved the manifold off to the side, never disconnecting or draining the coolant lines. I took some pics so that you can see what a 2004 looks like, hopefully they'll attach.

As coil 3 is in the back driver side, I replaced it with a new one. Then I threw the old coil 3 in coil 6, just to see if the problem and CEL follows the coil.

After doing so, miraculously, the van runs like the day we bought it! I've driven it up to Salt Lake City and back since the job was completed last Saturday and no codes, no rough idle in forward or reverse, and no rough acceleration! Yes!!! I now have my sanity back along with a little peace of mind and a sense of accomplishment. I'm no mechanic, so overall, it took me about 3-4 hours. If I did it again, I know I could do it in half the time.

Thanks again! My hope is that it will stay well. I'll re-post if it doesn't work out.

Danny

2004 MPV LX Thule Roof Racks to add a little more sporty look. 10.2" all-in-one DVD for the kids.

MPV2.JPG

MPV2.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 4160 time(s)

MPV3.JPG

MPV3.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 4140 time(s)

MPV4.JPG

MPV4.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 4129 time(s)

MPV5.JPG

MPV5.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 4085 time(s)

MPV6.JPG

MPV6.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 4038 time(s)

12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

In an earlier posting, I think you mentioned the camshaft position sensor. Was that changed also?
dannysentme

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

I inquired at Checker O'Riley about the Camshaft Position Sensor and it was a $21 part. In telling the clerk about my plans to replace the coils and plugs, he said to not purchase the sensor, for now, and see what happens after I replaced the coils and plugs. So at this point (fingers crossed) the van is running great. I am anticipating coil 6 (old coil from #3) to throw a code, but it hasn't yet. It really makes me wonder if by chance all the coils were good, and that perhaps I had some bad plugs all along?
2004 MPV LX Thule Roof Racks to add a little more sporty look. 10.2" all-in-one DVD for the kids.
keoni50

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

I was asking a question in a topic above if it's possible to remove the Intake manifold without removing the clip on the PCV. I had a hard time trying last time and had a Stealer replace the hose. What do you think??
Thanks
darom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

If you are asking about back side PCV hose clamp on the intake, I used this tool after multiple cuts to my hands:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947390000P

The $40 paid back since the removal takes now about 15 seconds.

Regards!

2002 Mazda MPV LX
1967 Camaro RS
1994 Dodge 2500 5.9L Cummins
keoni50

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

Nope that's not what I asking. I already have the tool but during the last time I could not get the clamp off. My question is and pertains to the coil packs: Can I remove the intake manifold without removing the PCV hose and just set aside the manifold so I can get at the bad coil pack on the #1 Cylinder? Or once the manifold is unbolted then I will be able to take the clamp off?? I had a such luck using the tool!

Thanks

Keoni
benjimpv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

dannysentme wrote:
I inquired at Checker O'Riley about the Camshaft Position Sensor and it was a $21 part. In telling the clerk about my plans to replace the coils and plugs, he said to not purchase the sensor, for now, and see what happens after I replaced the coils and plugs. So at this point (fingers crossed) the van is running great. I am anticipating coil 6 (old coil from #3) to throw a code, but it hasn't yet. It really makes me wonder if by chance all the coils were good, and that perhaps I had some bad plugs all along?

I would say to expect that #6 coil to s the bed on you. After changing plugs, I didn't throw a code for months, and then one day...poof, there it is again. Luckily, mine was the number 6 so I didn't have to take the manifold off again...

unfortunately now, its doing the same thing, just not throwing a code now!!

2004 MPV all stock
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

keoni50 wrote:
Nope that's not what I asking. I already have the tool but during the last time I could not get the clamp off. My question is and pertains to the coil packs: Can I remove the intake manifold without removing the PCV hose and just set aside the manifold so I can get at the bad coil pack on the #1 Cylinder? Or once the manifold is unbolted then I will be able to take the clamp off?? I had a such luck using the tool!

Thanks

Keoni

No, you probably won't have to remove the PCV hose in order to get to the rear coils. What I usually do is remove the minimum necessary bolts, hoses, and connectors so that I can lift and rotate (counter-clockwise) the manifold out of the way just enough to get to the rear coils. As I recall, the only hose that I really have to disconnect is the big accordian hose that comes from the air filter housing.

If you do decide to remove the PCV hose then it's much easier to do this after you've done the above. If the clamp still gives you trouble then you can always just disconnect the PCV hose at the mid-point join (if you have the longer, two-part hose) or just pull it directly off of the PCV valve.
sky2lvy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: 2004 MPV Coil & Plug Replacement Reply with quote

In addition, we need to ensure that from the point of view of the spectators can be very exciting to watch the whole battle, while ensuring that the narrator can be simple and intuitive understanding of the situation, these more effectively communicated to the audience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: