MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
betacrash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago by brother in law was working on our car and changed out all of my hoses, installed a water pump, and changed my spark plug wires. After that for some reason the little little LCD square that shows which gear is selected was also showing a square around the gears that are to the right and left of it. He said that he didnt remember doing anything that would affect this. Well, our drivability wasnt impacted so we just kept driving.

So yesterday my wife called me saying that the car would not get out of park and that it was totally stuck. I have had this issue before but I just tapped on the brakes and jiggled and it changed. But this time it just would not budge.

We pressed on the manual override button on the steering column so we could drive it but now we have to do this everytime and the car sounds like it isnt getting past 3rd gear. Also the gear selection square is totally gone. I have checked the infamous CIGAR fuse and it did not appear to have any issues. And my cigarette lighter still works fine.

PLEASE!!! I beg you, give me some sort of clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

Hello,

I don't know if the hard shifting from Park and missing shift indicator LED's are related. See the recall notice below from AllData regarding the hard to shift out of Park repair. I also have a 2000 but haven't experienced it. It sounds like you need to be very careful in retorquing the Allen screw they mention so you may want to have a dealer repair it if it's what's wrong.

Regarding the 3rd as top gear issue, try the O/D button in the off position to see if there's any change. Also, your MPV has a transmission temperature sensor which inhibits shifting into high gear when the car is cold. To test it, you have to remove the sensor from inside the transmission and heat it in ATF fluid and measure terminal resistance. But, it is possible that when the hoses and water pump were replaced that the wiring to it was disturbed. Check around the top of the transmission to see if any wires were disconnected. You have to remove the battery and tray to see it.

BULLETIN 05-001/02

2000 - 2001 MPVs - AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE - HARD TO SHIFT OUT OF PARK POSITION

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINs
All 2000 AND 2001 MPVs with Automatic Transaxle and VINs lower than JM3 LW28** 10198855.

DESCRIPTION

Some vehicles may experience a shift lever that is difficult to move from park into other positions. This condition may be caused when the spring force of the detent spring inside the automatic transaxle is too strong.

Production assembly procedures have changed to prevent this concern.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Verify customer concern.

2. Remove battery and tray.

3. Remove the following three parts to ensure enough work space.

^ Heater hose band

^ Wire harness clip

^ Wire harness band

4. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the head of the bolt with a hexagonal hole.

5. Loosen the bolt 90 degrees, then tighten it to the specified torque.

Tightening Torque: 15 - 22 Nm (1.5 - 2.2 kgf.m, 11 - 16 ft-lbf)

CAUTION :^ Do NOT turn the bolt more than 360 degrees. Otherwise, some internal linkage may fall into the automatic transaxle and require overhauling the automatic transaxle.

^ Do NOT overtighten the bolt. Otherwise, the bolt may break and fall into the automatic transaxle and require overhauling the automatic transaxle.

6. Verify repair.

Good luck,

Steve

Transmission spring detent.gif

Transmission spring detent.gif - File downloaded or viewed 2712 time(s)

betacrash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

I called the mazda dealer and spoke with a service person, he said that he thought it was probably a brake switch. Does that even make sense? If so, where it is? He said that it would be $250 to replace. I looked at autozone and saw a couple of different results, i couldnt tell what I was looking at but nothing was over $20. Again, any more guidance would be greatly appreciated.
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

Hello,

He sees a lot of these issues so I'd be inclined to trust his judgment. My daughter's Saab did this when the fuse to the brake lights blew for some reason. Replacing the fuse solved it. I don't know if the MPV is wired in a similar fashion but turn on the ignition and see if your brake lights work. Check the following fuses in the driver's footwell: #10 (10A), #11 (10A), #17 (10A) and #19 (15A). In the engine compartment, check #2 (40A)(second one from the top along the left side of the fuse box).

The brake interlock is wired through a solenoid (inside the steering column housing) and a relay but AllData doesn't show where the relay is located. Maybe someone else knows and can post. Diagnosing it doesn't look too difficult so I can't say if $250 is reasonable. You could call another dealer.

I was leaning towards the shifter spring recall since your car is a 2000 and recalls are issued when there is a significant liklihood of occurrence, so this must have happened quite a bit.

Good luck,

Steve
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

Hello,

Just checked my wife's MPV. With the ignition in the ON position, when you step on the brake you should easily hear a click inside the steering column (and the brake lights come on) - that's the interlock solenoid working. If you don't hear it, the problem is in that circuit.

Good luck,

Steve
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

Also of note: there is a bypass for the shift/brake interlock on the top of the steering column under a flap. You open the flap and can depress a button to force the interlock open to shift out of park. That will get you on your way until you can get it repaired.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
betacrash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

I went out and pressed on the brake and did not get any sound whatsoever so I guess that is the problem. Does anyone have a picture of what it is supposed to look like? It is located under the battery correct? Thanks -shawn
steve12955
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, that sounds like the issue. The interlock solenoid (the switch that's supposed to click) is located inside the plastic steering column housing on top of the column. It's what you've been pressing to release the shifter.

However, I don't know the part number and if it's available separately. Maybe someone else can post here.

Good luck,

Steve
jodie.phillips

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

hello, i am having the same exact problem with my mazda! I need help with it but the only difference is when i finally get it into park the car is struggling sooo bad to drive. Now that i have been driving it manually i have noticed that its getting really hard on the driving at its jolting alot. Plus whenever i accelerate it makes a very loud clicking noise. Please help if you can, i am hoping its something i can fix on my own because i am verrry short on money at the time. I had spoke with someone and they said maybe a vacuum leak or possibly the converter, does that sound right?
betacrash

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

i guess i will reply with my fix to help someone in the future.

my problem was due to a bad water pump fix that happened weeks before the shifting problem. the guy that replaced the water pump forgot to put the hose clamps back on causing coolant to drip down onto the shifting sensor.
crystalion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem with my 2000 ES. It stays jammed in park. Happened maybe 4-5 times in the last 2 years. Usually what I do or did was keep repressing the brake and basically jiggling and forcing down the shift lever.

After a few times it usually works--I'm not recommending this but I will add the retorquing of that 6mm bolt to my spring MPV cleanup. If that doen't work. Well ...

This was my dads car and he passed so its mine and I been working on so many things over the last 2 years. Its a wonder Mazda kept this thing on the road. Still I do like it and I don't know why maybe thats why I'm married ??
crystalion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 MPV Stuck in park. had to do Manual override Reply with quote

OK my MPV has done this about 9X out of 10 in the last 2 days.

Has ANYONE resolved this with either the bolt tension adjustment or changing out the column switch.

Its just so friggin annoying. I had basically stomped on the brake pedal and it released so I could put it in drive. Once in a while FINE but these last 2 days ARRRRRGGGGGHHHH.
I have never heard a click of the switch since I have owned the vehicle but had the problem on and off.

It would be nice to hear from someone who has actually addressed and fixed said problem..

I really like my MPV but all the bugs this thing has is rediculous. Now I know why they didn't make one in 99'. Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: