MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjack560

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

The more I read the more i am confused. I have a 2002 3.0 showing O2 sensor needs to be replaced. Location bank 1 sensor 1. I need specifics on ordering from auto zone as to which one and the specific location on car. When I pull up the picture on their site it seems to show a different location than what is mentioned on these boards. I just dont want to wast time replacing the wrong sensor to the wrong place.
Thanks for the help.

autozone diag.
1.image.jpg

1.image.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 27079 time(s)

owr084

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

That picture you posted is definitely wrong. There are FOUR ports on each manifold meaning it's for a V-8!

Here's the diagram from alldata (the link is below my sig block)

The problem is with the labeling. The diagram uses "Front" to mean before the Cat converters and "Rear" to mean after the CAT. To distinguish which side of the engine, they use "LH" (lefthand) to mean the front and "RH" to mean the back.

But, in the alldata parts list, they use this:

Front Upper AJ51188619U
Front Lower AJ5218861A9U
Rear Upper AJ55188619U
Rear Lower AJ5318861A9U

Very confusing...

After further research, Bank 1 is the side cylinder one is on. Sensor 1 refers to pre-cat and 2 to the post cat. That would make it the rear, top sensor.

Now, it is all coming back to me. I replaced that one a couple of years ago. It is doable, with the loaner tools you can get from Autozone. I was surprised that mine came out quite easily.

RBB
2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Diesel
2002 Mazda MPV ES

Mazda O2 Sensors 1.gif - 109.41 KB
File downloaded or viewed 4918 time(s)

Last edited by owr084 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 5 times in total
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

owr084 wrote:
...That picture you posted is definitely wrong. ...

Ditto. There was a very confused illustrator that labeled components on this diagram. On a front wheel drive ... (usually) "bank 1" is rearward, and "bank 2" is frontward, close to the radiator.
kjack560

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

Ok. So the bank 1 sensor 1 is the one close to fire wal pre cat. Do we know which o2 sensor to order from autozone? I want one with correct plug I do not want to gets universal one. Part#? I don't want to get the wrong one from autzone and with their picture being wrong I don't want to take the chance and ask the parts guy. Thanks.
owr084

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

Well, the part #s I listed are those from Mazda. Why not just call your local Mazda dealer and ask how much the part number is?

Or, you could just remove the O2 sensor and read the part # off of it. Then you could cross reference against other sources.

Bosch http://www.boschautoparts.com/VehiclePartFinder/Pages/VehiclePartFinderResults.aspx?MAKE=MAZDA&MODEL=MPV_&YEAR=2002&CAT=OxygenSensors says it is a 15708

oxygensensors.com http://oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1431476 has some listed.

The problem as you are aware is how to cross reference all the terms.

RBB
2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Diesel
2002 Mazda MPV ES
kjack560

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

The reason I ask for part # is because I like to have the part before I begin the work, that way I know the job can be completed in same day. Mazda dealer not open on Sunday which is the day I will be doing job. Yes I know the issue is interpreting the difference in terms. That's why I posted and included the diagram provided by auto zone that has now be confirmed to be in error. Thanks. Still looking to confirm part number. I believe it is bosch 15708. Thanks
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

Bank 1 Sensor 1 is Bosch 15708; it is the pre-cat sensor on the cylinder bank under the cowl (which is Bank 1). I looked up the part number at Rock Auto and in the thread http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=22990, which agree. The AllData illustration is correct--even if their"front RH" terminology for the Bank 1 pre-cat is confusing. In their lingo, "front" and "rear" apparently mean "pre-cat" and "post-cat" and "LH" and "RH" mean 'Bank 2" and "Bank 1". From the rear of the engine, Bank 2 is on the left-hand side and Bank 1 is on the right-hand side. Of course, in an MPV the rear of the engine is on the driver's side, putting Bank 1 under the cowl.

About 18 months ago, I replaced my Bank 2 Sensor 1 with Bosch 15314 without incident. (Don't use any silicone based lubricant, e.g. WD-40 anywhere near the sensor.)

Amazon sells Bosch 15708 for 53.65 plus shipping ($0 if you are an Amazon Prime subscriber).
kjack560

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: O2 sensor location. bank 1 sensor 1 Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys!!!! Changed out o2 sensor last night. Two tips for the 2002 removal. From underneath it is easiest to remove and replace sensor with a long open sided wrench. Trying to get a ratchet in there is near impossible. From up top to disconnect plug I could only get one hand back there. After much aggravation I tied a wire leash around the sensor reached back with my left hand and pushed down on back of connector while pulling on leash with right hand and out came the connector!! Hope this helps others in the future. Now I'm on to trying to find a vacuum leak. PVC hose already replaced. Any other Ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: