MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Home Saftey
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Very Scary! My son is at the age where he likes to stick things into cracks and crevices. We have one of those plug-in room deoderizors that uses the oil plugged into the kitchen island. Well, he just found a penny and tried to stick it between the device and the plug and almost got fried!

We were just watching some tv and saw smoke and sparks and heard him start crying and are so thankful that he wasn't shocked or burnt. The penny made contact with the exposed plugs and shorted. He was only very startled and luckily has good reflexes!

We've made our home as safe as possible by using safety latches for drawers and cover all plugs not being used. We never thought he would stick a penny behind a plugin.

I hope the scare keeps him from being curious about the wall outlets in the future. I have taken all the plug-ins out and covered every plug within his reach. We're all glad he just got scared only and no harm done. Just look at these pics...

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid

burnt.jpg

burnt.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 742 time(s)

burnt2.jpg

burnt2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 722 time(s)

Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Glad to hear your son is OK. We have young ones as well and have also done as much childproofing as possible. Unfortunately, parents cannot keep their eyes on the little ones every single second, and can't foresee absolutely every danger.
Hopefully your little guy has acquired some caution along with his curiosity. blush

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Holy Cow, Rog!!! I'm greatful that he's okay, though. How old his he... three by chance? You can safeguard your home only so much, and pray that nothing bad happens.

That plug is toasted! Wow.

I could tell you some tales about our three year-old daughter... she's a good case for not having 'another one' Wink

Again, glad he's okay. Now, how are YOUR nerves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Well, glad to hear he is OK and thanks for sharing, it's always good to know the danger. I have installed safety outlets all over my house also, I use those self closing ones in places where we need to use outlets from time to time. It's not till when you have your own kids when you start to worry I guess. I'm thinking now how my parents could handle all that. I'm sort of paranoid about our two sons (the electric plugs, playing on the street where are cars, ...), but I'm finally getting eased up a bit as the life goes by. The thing is that you can safety your house pretty well, but what about when you go visit someone or baby sitters house? So I pretty much scared the crap out of our firstborn, when he was showing interest in the plugs. I told him not to touch it, it's ouch and that it would burn his hand off. The same I did in regard to the fireplace and stove. Well it seems to work, when he sees fire he says to me ouch ouch and he is being careful about it. Maybe not the proper thing to do, but it works. I remember interview way back with one of the Formula 1 pilots, they asked him if he is afraid, he said to the reporter: "Of course I'm afraid, if you not afraid you are a dead man".
2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Oh man, that is scary. I'm glad he's ok. So far our almost 2 y.o. daughter hasn't put coins into the plugs, but she has unplugged a lamp once. It's amazing the curiosity a young mind has. We'll be keeping a closer eye on her when her brother arrives in about a month.

I think when I was little I did something like your son. The outlet didn't get charred. There was no 'plug-ins' then either. I think I just stuck a fork in the outlet. It popped out as soon as it was inserted and scared me more than anything. oops

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

That's a scary one for sure. Glad the worst that happened was a ruined outlet.

We put covers on the outlets before our soon started to crawl. One of the first things he did once he gained mobility was crawl over to the wall and take the cover off. Rolling Eyes At that point, we figured the potential choking hazard of having a cover in his mouth was greater than the "sticking something in the outlet" hazard, so we removed all the covers. Fortunately, he never expressed any interest in sticking things in the outlets.

Glad your son is OK. Just reading your story made my adrenaline start to flow. Whew!

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
DRHP

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Wow, that looks pretty bad. My 2 y/o like's to pull the cover's off as well. I caught her the other day trying to stick a key in there (did I mention she like's to grab the keys off of the table?) I saw her in the corner of my eye and yelled NO! across the room that just about scared her 2 feet off the ground. I explained to her that not to stick anything in there or she would get a bad "boo boo". I hope it works...

With everyone being so child safety conscious it makes me wonder how I survived my childhood. We had a VW van growing up and I remember just walking around inside while my dad drove. He used to let me sit on his lap and steer. Only when we got to our street...but still! Helmets while riding a bike?? Unheard of. Let's not even talk about those metal swing sets in the backyard. That's just a few examples. I'm sure you guys could think of a bunch.

-Ed

'06 Mazda 5 Carbon Gray Touring, AT, NAV, Leather.
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Man, that's a little un-nerving. We, too, have done everything that we know how to "kid proof" the house. However, we do have a couple of night lights plugged in the hall in case one of the kids gets up in the middle of the night. It looks like I will be replacing those soon with the ones that actually screw into the socket.

After reading that, it's off to Baby's R Us tonight. Thanks for the "heads up".

rowdy1
'02 Mazda MPV ES (Silver)
*loaded w/ Rosen Clearview DVD System
'99 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD (Burgundy)
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

The guy's only 22 mos. He likes keys too (it took a while before we got him to stop turning the alarm on!)

We thought he might of gotten shocked, but when we were able to get him to laugh and play with us, we realized he was more scared by the sparks/smoke than anything else.

We use the plug covers that even I have a hard time to extract from the outlet. It's actually a hassle when I need to plug in some things. I'm interested in those self-sealing outlet covers so if Lazy Fox could share where and which brand he uses, I'd like to replace some of mine with those.

He's good about sticking things into the outlets. It's just with the plug-in there I guess he thought sticking a penny down it wouldn't be any different that sticking the penny into his piggy bank.

He doesn't even mess with the handful of nightlights we have around the house, but this incident is making me think twice about that as well. May need to look for those screw-ins as well.

Concerning safety when we were kids... I agree. I got shocked more than once when I was a kid by playing with forks and other utensils. My mom was alone with five kids for years while dad went to work. No safety in the house at all. I even fell out of our two story home when I was six and fell on pile of yard clippings (fortunately for me!). So now, I'm always torn between very safe and remembering that me and my siblings made it without all the safety gadgets. But last night, scared everyone back to being 110%safe. Needless to say, additional precautions are forthcoming at our house!

Just wanted to share to keep everyone with toddlers around to not take anything for granted. Them kids is sneaky spy

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Quote:
I even fell out of our two story home when I was six and fell on pile of yard clippings

So that is what's wrong with you!!??!?? looney

(Did I just say that out loud? Sorry ) I don't know

Wink

rowdy1
'02 Mazda MPV ES (Silver)
*loaded w/ Rosen Clearview DVD System
'99 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD (Burgundy)
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

It's the longest running joke my brothers and sister have on me... Rolling Eyes

You've got some ironing to do, get back to the loft!

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
FlaMom

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Wow...so glad he is ok, those pictures look terrible!! Our daughter got zapped last xmas fiddling with the xmas tree lights...scared the daylights out of all of us. I can tell you she goes nowhere NEAR outlets anymore, so maybe these little mishaps are beneficial sometimes?!!

-Becky

2003 MPV ES-Coastal Blue Metallic
papabear
MPVClub Posting Maniac
born again runner
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Becky,

We're hoping he got the message too. He was really scared by it, but you never know with the kids.

Rogelio (ro-hel'-lyo)
07 Ody EX-L w/navi&dvd
The other cars...

08 Nissan Altima Hybrid
lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Ok here are few pics, read the descriptions for the attachment. You can get this perhaps in your local hardware store, I go to Home Depot, it's in the keys and lock section, they have few panels with child safety gadgets.

When you put those swivel covers on, you might tighten the outlet in the frame to set it deeper in the wall, to make enough of a gap to not to squish the swivel mechanism of the cover. You will figure that out Wink .

As for sticking coins or knifes behind plugged nightlights or power cords, maybe applying insulation from cable or piece of duck tape on the metal rods of the plug in the area exposed out of the outlet would provide sufficient insulation to protect shortening if child stick some conductive material between.

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]

Ok, here are the covers I use. They are the swivel type. I find then to be harder to open by finger, you really have to have something like screwdriver to twist it.
swivel cover.jpg

swivel cover.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 637 time(s)

I think that these slide covers are somewhat easier for kids to open by using a finger, so I didn't buy those.
slide cover.jpg

slide cover.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 611 time(s)

I use only one at home as they are sort of pain to put on, but this is the way to protect child to unplug power cords. To note I do not use the displayed kind, I use the one you screw on, this one looks like a snap on.
outlet-cover-box.jpg

outlet-cover-box.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 791 time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Home Saftey Reply with quote

Wow, that's very scary indeed. Will have to re-think about using nightlights around the house. We have been training/discouraging our kid to stay away from nightlights, & generally he is pretty good when we're around, but you'd never know once your back is turned ...
Jae
02 Silver MPV LX + rear a/c + bumper step plate + convex mirror + Yak rack + bug deflector + rustproofing + 15 hp decals!
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
95 Red Integra LS 5MT ... SOLD! ... but not forgotten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: