MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

smaller vs bigger wheels in snow
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnsmpv

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

hi all! just new here and wanted to ask a question regarding wheel sizes. im came from the philippines and moved here in toronto got a used '01 mpv. after seeing all the nice pics in the gallery made me want to buy a bigger wheel. i currently have 15's and wanted to buy 18's or 19's and my question is, are bigger wheels safe to drive in the winter? or is it just the same as smaller ones?
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

In winter, you want to put on winter tires, no matter what size your wheels are. But, in my opinion, it is better to have smaller wheels and a bigger side wall for thoses days where you don't see the curb because of the snow....don't ask how I know...

Anyway, you'll want 4 seasons tires for spring, summer and fall and a set of dedicated winter tires, preferably mounted on a steel rims for winter season.

my 0.02$

2010 Toyota RAV4
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

smaller rims and bigger sidewalls also because of the potholes that usually pop up during the colder months. if you need to drive in a lot of unplowed snow, skinnier tires won't hurt, either. if you're going with dedicated snow tires, you may be able to get away with "performance" tires which usually work better when its not cold or snow/ice.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

barnsmpv...pare kumusta na welcome to the club theres alot of kababayans here in the club lalo na dito sa toronto...

well for winters i use my stock rims mounted on dedicated snow tires (michelin x-ice)..advise for winter.... smaller rims plus skinner tires so you can slice through snow and ice like a pair of skies or skates

if you want to have bigger rims.....have a dedicated summer tire/wheel for summer and have a dedicated winter tires/wheel as well

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
barnsmpv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

thank you very much for the info guys!

arjoshua, where did you buy your rims? do you know any shops that sells rims within toronto or the gta?
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

barnsmpv wrote:
thank you very much for the info guys!

arjoshua, where did you buy your rims? do you know any shops that sells rims within toronto or the gta?

i bought my rims from a friend of mine who owns a shop so pretty much i got a good deal of him plus the money i got when i sold my 18" rims,,

speaking of my 18" rims i actually bought it when i went back home, and it did fit on the balikbayan boxes..$800 cad converted for size 18" no tires though murang mura Laughing

i know a couple of rim shop in and around GTA...when are you planning to get one??

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
barnsmpv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

i wanted to buy sooner... could you hook me up w/ them or just give me the name of the place or number?

pls and thanks!

inggit ako sa van mo pre... hehehe
mpvcrazy
My MPV drives me CRAZY!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

Very Happy Hey pare' check out this site, some new, some used and all in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) www.kijiji.ca and click onto "parts and accessories". Pls let me know if you didn't find anything cuz I have more connections but they are here in Mississauga. Good luck ingat pare' Cool
1998 Mazda MPV ES AWD

MEAN GREEN LOWERED 4x4
ONE RARE HUGE SUNROOF
Tan Leather
L Lumar Window Tint
Custom Sun Roof Deflector
6000k HID with High Beams
Nokya Yellow H3 Fog Light Bulbs
All LED Interior and Rear Plate Lights
K&N Fliter
Front KYB Struts with Mazdaspeeed Eibach Springs
Rear Rancho Shocks with Non ALL Springs Vibrant Black Chrome Muffler
Chrome Bull Bar with Skid Plate
16" Black Ford Mesh Rims 225/60/16 Firestone Firehawks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
barnsmpv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

mpvcrazy, thanks for the link... been looking at it for a few days now and haven't seen anything that I like...

thanks again!
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

so barns what type or look of rims you getting by the way? just PM when you want to go and maybe we can hook up with mpvcrazy Wink

barnsmpv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

hi arjoshua,

i saw one set that i liked at wheelmax, it's a 6 spoke rim w/ a carbon finish and chrome lips... but i'm having second thought about this because i don't know if it's a good one... here's the pic of the rim maybe you could advise me on this... i don't really know anything about cars, wheels, accessories etc, except to drive... hehehe

this rims name is NEX-O GS-5 costing about $200 US each + shipping... (gonna need lots of OT to pay up for this one)...

gs5cf.jpg

gs5cf.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1617 time(s)

mpvcrazy
My MPV drives me CRAZY!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

Very Happy Motegi also makes a knock off of that wheel that comes in gloss back or a gun metal grey, I've seen it going for $150 16"-$180 17"CAD at some of the wheel shops at Pacific Mall, Kennedy and Steeles Scarborough.
Auto Sports accessories & performance, Pacific Mall, Steven Wong (905) 948-9556. Idea

1998 Mazda MPV ES AWD

MEAN GREEN LOWERED 4x4
ONE RARE HUGE SUNROOF
Tan Leather
L Lumar Window Tint
K&N Fliter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
barnsmpv

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

mpvcrazy, i'll check it out this weekend.

thanks for your help.
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

hmmmmm... do you guys want to hook up this weekend pref. saturday around noonish??
we'll head to pacific mall ??

mpvcrazy
My MPV drives me CRAZY!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: smaller vs bigger wheels in snow Reply with quote

Very Happy ok sounds good cuz I'll be in Scarborough anyway for that day
1998 Mazda MPV ES AWD

MEAN GREEN LOWERED 4x4
ONE RARE HUGE SUNROOF
Tan Leather
L Lumar Window Tint
K&N Fliter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: