MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

3 child seats installed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowdy1
MPVClub Preacher
Can I get a "Zoom-Zoom"
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

I recently purchased two different retro Latch kits for two different car seats. They were pretty much the same thing. It looks to me like you could use either ones on either seat with no problem.
rowdy1
'02 Mazda MPV ES (Silver)
*loaded w/ Rosen Clearview DVD System
'99 Chevy Tahoe LT 4WD (Burgundy)
jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

Quote:
We'll probably pick up a EvenFlo one since our rear-facing infant carrier with base thing is an On My Way II.

Brian,

We have an Evenflo Travel System (V?) stroller with an infant carrier. I think it was an OnMyWay carrier with base (purchased ~ Sep 01). The base we had is not compatible with the LATCH retrofit kit - stated right on the seat base. To use the latch belt, we had to secure the carrier without the base. In fact, if we wanted to use that carrier in the MPV, we had to use the latch belt since the seatbelt latch rides too high to secure the infant seat. You may want to hold off on the purchase if you are uncomfortable with securing the seat without the base. We used the latch belt w/o the base for a month before the baby outgrew the carrier, & didn't encounter any problems.

Jae
02 Silver MPV LX + rear a/c + bumper step plate + convex mirror + Yak rack + bug deflector + rustproofing + 15 hp decals!
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
95 Red Integra LS 5MT ... SOLD! ... but not forgotten
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

I think that's what we have (travel system V), not sure where I was when I thought it was an On My Way II. I know it's an On My Way at least.

I'm pretty proficient now at securing our Safe Embrace II in either vehicle (not the MPV yet since we don't pick it up 'till tomorrow). Brooke outgrew the Evenflow at about 7 months (became too long for it). It sure was convenient to just snap in the seat to the base and go. If I have to secure it with the seat belt, so be it. I'm still thinking about getting the EvenFlo LATCH belt anyway, could technically use it on the Safe Embrace, if not the EvenFlo (sans base).

Now, what's this about a mat to place under the seat to protect the real seats in the vehicle? I never heard of that, but would be very interested seeing as our MPV has leather.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Stargazer
I'm a dad. I'm not dead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

What I did to protect the leather seats was buy those cheap imitation-sheepskin seat cushions to put under the car seats. It's those ones that fold in half and just cover seat bottom and seat back.

I'm not worried about catching spills, and it's thick enough that I think it will prevent really deep indents in the leather.

Road Tripalooza '07 ~ The 7-52 Daily STI
2002 MPV ES/GFX Black Mica - build date 12/01 - SOLD
1999 VW Passat "Dixie" - SOLD
2003 Toyota Sequoia - SOLD
2006 Subaru WRX STI
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm just looking to protect the seats from the child seat itself, not necessarily from spills, etc.

Guess I'll head out to one of the local auto parts stores and see what they have.

-Brian

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

subearu wrote:

Yeah, I'm just looking to protect the seats from the child seat itself, not necessarily from spills, etc.

Guess I'll head out to one of the local auto parts stores and see what they have.

-Brian

Brian--If you have any old towels around, they might work just fine and save a few bucks not having to purchase seat covers. Dan

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

That's what we planned on doing tonight when we pick up our ES. Just wasn't sure how it would look as a permanent solution. If it works and looks ok, then we'll just keep the towels in place.

-Brian

jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

I believe my wife bought one of those protector mats from Babies'R'Us; not too sure what she paid for it though. The concern she had with using a towel was whether it would be prone to sliding, & she felt safer going with a product designed specifically to solve this problem.
Jae
02 Silver MPV LX + rear a/c + bumper step plate + convex mirror + Yak rack + bug deflector + rustproofing + 15 hp decals!
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

I also purchased one of those seat protector mats. I can't remember who made it but its just a thick piece of rubber. It works great but it could have been a bit bigger. Picked it up at toys r us, as we have no babies r us in the state (but thats another topic Rolling Eyes )

As far as the Latch tethers go. I looked around and feel the Cosco one is the best. I say that because the "buckle" operates via a button not the old style seatbelt setup. I have found it the easiest to adjust, just push the button and pull. Unfortunatly the local toys r us only has in one of the latch kits at a time. I don't know why. One month they had the graco, the next month they had the evenflo....etc.... I guess if I need another I have to be luckly or order it on line.

2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
Rogman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

Just checked with Mazda Canada re: a third seat tether anchor, and the tech there says there is indeed one on the floor, under the carpet in the center. He said the carpet has a slit/hole for it already...you just have to thread it up to the hole.

I can't verify this, since I haven't picked up my vehicle yet.

Anyone...

Rogman

2002 Midnight Blue LX w Tow
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

This is true for the U.S. ones - our '02 ES does have that slit (with tether anchor) in rear carpet. It's positioned on the driver side of the vehicle, maybe 6 inches off center.
jintegra
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

rogda wrote:

Just checked with Mazda Canada re: a third seat tether anchor, and the tech there says there is indeed one on the floor, under the carpet in the center. He said the carpet has a slit/hole for it already...you just have to thread it up to the hole.

IIRC, I think that is correct, although I haven't checked under the hole. However, the anchor is only meant for a carseat installed in the middle seat, which means only 1 child seat can be installed with the tether in the last row.

Jae
04 Green Accord EX-L 5MT
Ned Rothstein
DEMON of the forums

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

Stargazer-

Is your van an 01 or an 02? I have an 01, and there are no lower anchors for the LATCH belt to attach to. I would dearly love to use this, since it would allow me to slide the seat into the center of the 2nd row when I need to carry more people, and more easily remove and reinstall the seat when I need to carry "stuff" instead of the kid.

NED ROTHSTEIN
2001 LX Emerald Mica
2005 Cannondale R900
Stargazer
I'm a dad. I'm not dead.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

I have an '02.

As for the 3rd row anchor, it's located more on the rear hatch door sill. I wish they could have mounted on the bench, like they mounted the second row anchors on the chairs.

With the third row anchor installed, the tether interferes with any kind of load you want to put in the back (especially strollers, etc.). Also, since it's off-center, it pulls the child seat to the side as well. I tested moving the child seat to the side positions, and the tether just didn't hold the seat well--so, it's true: it's designed only for the middle position Sad .

I have the kids arranged in another configuration now, though, and I find it quite convienent:

1 child seat in the third row center with tether anchor.
1 infant seat in the third row driver's side (rear-facing, no tether required.)
1 child seat in the 2nd row passenger side.

The 2nd row driver's side seat is removed and in the basement to provide more space and easy access to the third row. The remaining 2nd row seat and be slid back and forth to provide access to the 3rd row. One adult can sit in the 3rd row with easy access to rear a/c controls. If an additional adult needs a ride, the extra seat can be put back.

Road Tripalooza '07 ~ The 7-52 Daily STI
2002 MPV ES/GFX Black Mica - build date 12/01 - SOLD
1999 VW Passat "Dixie" - SOLD
2003 Toyota Sequoia - SOLD
2006 Subaru WRX STI
zflea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re:3 child seats installed Reply with quote

Stargazer,
Did you buy a retrofit latch system for your britax roundabout? I have 2 and can't find latch belts. I wonder if I can use Century latch on Britax seat?
Zflea Huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: