MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Master electrician. We like to make jokes about getting our masters.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
Master electrician. We like to make jokes about getting our masters.

Whoa! Congrats!

pray

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Well today I wrote, and I feel I must've got at least 75% as a conservative guess, so you must all call me master now!
So I guess I could go get a contractor's licence and get a business loan and lease that TransitConnect, or maybe an HHR panel.

MPV gone Sad
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

From what I saw at the autoshow, the TransitConnect would probably make a more spacious workvan when compared to the HHR. Or probably better yet is to get a full-sized panel van. Little vkc got a kick out of the GM version at the show which was outfitted with shelves and a door partitioning the cargo area from the cab.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Blueprint
MPVClub Addict
Still MPVClubbin'
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
Well today I wrote, and I feel I must've got at least 75% as a conservative guess, so you must all call me master now!
So I guess I could go get a contractor's licence and get a business loan and lease that TransitConnect, or maybe an HHR panel.

...HHR SS panel just got cancelled by GM...might be deals around ! Sounds like the right one for "emergency calls" Twisted Evil

TransitConnect might prove to be a winnah for urban contractors.

2012 Honda Odyssey EX, Crystal Black Pearl, Truffle interior, oem acc: mudflaps, side mouldings, cargo net, cargo tray, steel wheels+tpms+LX covers for snow duty with Blizzaks WS70

2017 Audi A3 Sportback e-tron, black on black

Dearly departed : 2015 VW Golf TDI, 2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 S, 2003 Odyssey EX, 2004 Mazda MPV GS+GFX, 1999 CR-V, 2001.5 Passat, 1995 Civic, 1994 Tercel, 1986 Celica, 1986 Alliance, 1982 GLC, 1978 LeSabre, 1980 Corolla SR-5.
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Only a couple of days ago they said they were cancelling the SS model on the HHR panel which led me to believe the panel was still available.

MPV gone Sad
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
Only a couple of days ago they said they were cancelling the SS model on the HHR panel which led me to believe the panel was still available.

The regular panel is still available, but if you would like an SS Panel, gotta get that this year. Gone for 2010........

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

OK now that I read his post the way he meant it...

MPV gone Sad
fiat128

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

I'd expect the larger minivans will go away due to the bad mileage (my MPV qualified for "cash for clunkers").

I expect alot of smaller "tall wagon" ones will appear. They pretty much are here already with the Nissan Cube, Scion Xb, etc.

They bring the Multipla here, I'll be there to buy one!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Version 1.0 of the Multipla was 3 across seating - 2 rows. Interesting way to seat 6 folks but it worked. I think if the powers-that-are have the gumption to drop a diesel and manual transmission in a minivan, they *may* have a chance. And you'd be surprised the mileage you can get with this configuration. I beat the crap out of drove a rental Opel Zafira with a 4 cylinder tdi and manual and got 40mpg.
twoLaneBlacktop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

I got to see one of the new Ford Transits at a local Ford Dealer, pulled the MPV up next to it. A sales lady saw me and came and asked if I was a contractor (I think I was wearing Carharts at the time), but I said no I just have several kids. She responded by saying that it wasn't for passengers, utility only and I said that it seemed like it could be a pretty neat multi-passenger vehicle if they'd just bring that configuration to NA already. Although, I understood it to have a 2.5L mill (or was it a 2.0L actually?), which seems like it would be a little weak for an MPV type vehicle. Still, why is this only available as cargo van? Maybe a multi-passenger version would give the Flex a run for its money?
twoLaneBlacktop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Oh and plus, I think it only comes in Automatic transmission? C'mon, if anything it should only be available with a 5 speed.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Auto with a 4 banger hauling any load is going to be challenged. Acceleration has been noted as "casual" in the NA configuration.

I did see the Transit Connect at the '09 auto show in a few configurations - "active" which had passenger configuration but roof rack for canoe, bikes, etc; regular passenger config and commercial. One did drive by me on the road the other day - very tall and skinny. Very functional for European roads and would be good for city driving.

For what you get its fairly loaded - air con and a few goodies. Wonder if they offer a manual transmission if that'll cut the price down a little.

Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

It's just a way for Ford to try for a piece of a pie it lost when it killed the Freestar. Doing it this way costs them practically nothing.

MPV gone Sad
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

It`s been a while since I posted. Our 2002 MPV has 113000 kms and has the dreaded door rust. The front passenger door and the fender area in front of it have extensive surface rust, and the door has the rust in the creases. Usually when that happens, we go looking for another vehicle, so online I went to look at used vans with low kms.

Unless you want a Caravan, you are paying ridiculous amounts of $ for even a used van. My DW wants leather, psd and moonroof again. There is nothing under $25000 USED in a Sienna or Odyssey with reasonable km, and even the Kia-Hyundai twins are ridiculously priced.

So, it looks like we'll be looking for a used door with no rust and get the van repainted. Love the MPV, but I am disappointed in the early rust. Even our previous Caravan had no rust when we traded it in.

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: