MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

New Mazda models? No Ford control.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nexus7

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

The news today is that Ford has divested its controlling interest in Mazda. Despite the statements by the Ford CEO that the two companies are to continue their current strategic directions (whatever that is supposed to mean exactly), Mazda immediately changed its CEO and the people in charge of sales, design, etc.

I wonder if that means we in NA will get some of the fancy and funky models that Japan, Europe, and other markets get.

A diesel minivan would be great (well, a minivan at all would be great to begin with). Even with gas cheaper now, I think there is a bug in people's heads about fuel prices and commuting costs (if not about larger issues such as energy independence/efficiency, etc). A turbo RX-8 that will go up against Mustangs?

Less cheap-looking parts in vehicles (like the HVAC corporate Ford knobs in the MPV)?
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

If they do decouple, it should be interesting what it means for some of Ford's model lines. They do use Mazda's platforms and engines in a bunch of their vehicles globally.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
zeet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

I wonder if they have a no competition agreement. ie. Mazda CX-7 vs Ford Edge.

Maybe Mazda will start aggressively pushing the Mazda 5 or even bring over the Mazda 8 minivan. Twisted Evil

Current: Mazda MPV 04 ES, Titanium Grey

Toyota Camry 96, 174k Sold!
Buick Skylark 91, 156k R.I.P.
antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Don't mean to be a party pooper...but is the separation from Ford really a good thing for Mazda.
I'm assuming that Mazda was able to leverage some of Ford's resources as far as R&D goes. With the separation what does that mean for future Mazda products now that they don't have access to these resources?
Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure this separation is really a good thing for Mazda.

2006 Mazda5 GT (Touring) AT
Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Seems as though Ford's looking for partial divesture - not 100%. They'll still be around but they need the cash. If they do find a buyer of their portion, they most likely won't have full control of the company.

On another note, I read something today where Mazda's inventory is growing in NA .... now to up 100+ days where they typically hold 60+ days.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
zeet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

There was an article in the NY times about how unsold inventory is piling up with the economic down turn, but it's all the car manufacturers not just Mazda.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/business/economy/19ports.html?_r=1

The ports in Long Beach are filling up with imports and Toyota and Nissan are snaping up any available lot space to park their surplus.

Current: Mazda MPV 04 ES, Titanium Grey

Toyota Camry 96, 174k Sold!
Buick Skylark 91, 156k R.I.P.
Mikem
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Looking at market share over the last year, it is GM that has lost the most followed by Ford. Toyota has done well followed by Honda and Madza of the vehicles sold.
I believe GM will file for bankruptcy, then restructure to get the debt of the labor union pensions off their back. I think the bail out money will not be enough and would only stall GM from going under. If we are going to keep the jobs here, we can't afford the large pensions.

Mikem

95MPVsailor
Nexus7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

antlind wrote:
Don't mean to be a party pooper...but is the separation from Ford really a good thing for Mazda.
I'm assuming that Mazda was able to leverage some of Ford's resources as far as R&D goes.

I think the basis for this (oft-cited) R&D resource that Mazda gets from Ford, is the Duratec V6. However Mazda had a V6 in the RWD MPV, 626, and MX-6. I think a company that builds a sequential twin-turbo rotary is doing OK in R&D. In any event, a lot of the complex systems used these days, such as ignition, injection, ABS, etc. are made by specialized manufacturers such as Bosch (or licensed from them).

Now Mazda may have gotten a pricing break because of volume from Ford (and Volvo). I don't know how much that would be.

Last edited by Nexus7 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nexus7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Mikem wrote:
If we are going to keep the jobs here, we can't afford the large pensions.
Mikem

*shrug*

When GM signed those union contracts, they could've fully funded those pensions and health benefits, Sure, would've meant showing less profit those quarters. But the management that put off the day of reckoning has long since pocketed its bonuses and shuffled off.
Nexus7

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
I read something today where Mazda's inventory is growing in NA .... now to up 100+ days where they typically hold 60+ days.

Wonder what the make-up of that inventory is. Hard to believe that there would be many 3s in it. B2200 (or whatever they call it these days), I'd expect. Probably RX-8s.
mk23666

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Nexus7 wrote:
Mikem wrote:
If we are going to keep the jobs here, we can't afford the large pensions.
Mikem

*shrug*

When GM signed those union contracts, they could've fully funded those pensions and health benefits, Sure, would've meant showing less profit those quarters. But the management that put off the day of reckoning has long since pocketed its bonuses and shuffled off.

Bingo bango bongo!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

I tell ya one Mazda I'd like to see over here is the Mazda2 even though it'll probably compete with the Fiesta (which it shares the same platform Rolling Eyes )
James Linn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Its not a certainty that divesting their shares will mean a total cut off.

Take a look at the engine in the Dodge Calibre - the 2.4 L I4. Thats a "world engine" that is designed by a group including Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Chrysler. This years after Chrysler divested itself of Mitsubishi shares.

I think all automakers will be forced to examine all their relationships, strengthen the ones that make sense and money and cut the ones that don't. CAMI will still build the Equinox, even though GM sold its Suzuki shares for cash, and Suzuki killed the XL7 (built at the same plant).

James
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

James Linn wrote:
Its not a certainty that divesting their shares will mean a total cut off.
Good point. It then becomes a business/contractural agreement rather than "internal" component sharing.
James Linn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New Mazda models? No Ford control. Reply with quote

Another example is the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel - which came from Mercedes even after they sold their shares in Chrysler. It had probably been planned before the sale, but they didn't cancel even though it means they strengthen a competitor.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: