MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

4-CYL Sienna
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

I just read in the local newspaper (Calgary SUN) that Toyota will be offering a 4-cylinder Sienna in 2009. I searched for confirmation on the Internet but could not find anything to back this up. The engine will be rated at 184bhp. I'm not sure if this is for Canada only or all of NA. It would be interesting how this vehicle is received....hopefully it will encourage Mazda to bring the Mazda8 to our shores.
Anthony

2006 Mazda5 GT (Touring) AT
Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

The version of the Previa offered in NA did have the 4 banger and that was a regular size minivan (i.e. 3 rows, nice space, etc). And it continues to be offered in the rest of the world in that format. Actually very few minivans are offered with 6 cylinders and up outside of NA.

Just seems like we're falling in line.

re Mazda8 to our shores. Well now that folks are being a bit more smart in their vehicle selection maybe. The only thing that may hurt it is the possible recommendation for premium fuel. That being said, the twin-turbo Duratec 3.5 liter that Fords offering in 2010 is recommended to run on 87 octane.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

who wants a 92 toyota lucida turbo diesel, jdm importer/broker in burlinton canada is selling this van...its cheap on gas its a 4cyl..... Wink

http://milliontrading.ca/inventory2.html

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2179082

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers

large2b.jpg

large2b.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1071 time(s)

large2c.jpg

large2c.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1080 time(s)

James Linn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

If the steering wheel was on the left....

...it would probably be a better tow vehicle than the MPV, since typically diesels have lots of torque.

James
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

That's a fine looking car for a 1992 model. The mirror over the lift gate is interesting--I wonder if it was some kind of delivery vehicle? If that is the case all the more wonder that it looks like it is in such fine shape.
[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

The mirror on the back seems to be commonplace on JDM models. If you look back at some of the tricked out MPV's and such in the various threads here, you'll see several have that type of mirror as well.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

The mirror in the back is the old school form of the backup system - i.e. helps the driver see if there is anything below the beltline and in the back. Kinda the same reason that a lot of older cars had mirrors on the front fender and not by the side windows - to alleviate blind spots.

Back to the van itself, it is a fine looking specimen. And I'd envision you could probably get replacement parts via the NA Previa of that vintage. But iirc, the NA Previa was mid-engined and didn't have large grill intakes in the front. The grill on this particular vehicle looks like the intake is for engine cooling purposes - curious if the configuration is slightly different.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
James Linn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

I've wondered about those mirrors as well.

I've seen them on a few MPVs, as well as the odd CRV and other small SUVs.

I am sure I'd find it handy for backing up to my trailer to align the hitch.

James
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

It seems like nearly every minivan and SUV in Asia (at least Thailand and the Philippines) has one.
Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

vkc wrote:

Back to the van itself, it is a fine looking specimen. And I'd envision you could probably get replacement parts via the NA Previa of that vintage. But iirc, the NA Previa was mid-engined and didn't have large grill intakes in the front. The grill on this particular vehicle looks like the intake is for engine cooling purposes - curious if the configuration is slightly different.

the engine on this van is a turbo diesel..........its still for sale Very Happy

03' MPV ES: TEIN S-Tech, 19"x 8.5 + 45 Conceptone Visions ,Fuzions 245/35/19, H.I.D Projector retro-fit FX-R w/ clear lens mod,HKS air filter, Fujitsubo Wagolis muffler,Auto Exe grill,Mintblue rearspoiler,jdm widow visors,04' Tail lights,Gargage vary front lip, Jdm side mirror blinkers
S05LX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

Is this still available and could be shipped to the US? If yes how much?
ARJOSHUA
MPVClub Addict
left foot braker
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

You can contact the broker's website which I posted on the first post and also check your state law about driving a right hand vehicle here in ontario canada its legal to drive a right hand car but the insurance will be a killer

espacenewbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

The 2011 Sienna will be available in 4 cylinders guise. It will be due out at end of Jan 2011. A total redesign and has more features than the current 2nd gen Sienna.
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

OK, so I am going to kick the dust off of this 4.5 year old thread and bring it back to life. Hopefully, someone will read it.

Now that the 4 cyl. Sienna has been out for a while, has anyone owned or tested one enough to have an opinion on power, economy, maintenance, etc? I had great success with a 2009 6 cyl. and would entertain the 4 cyl. if it shows operating economy that makes up for the loss in power.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: 4-CYL Sienna Reply with quote

ctom3 wrote:
OK, so I am going to kick the dust off of this 4.5 year old thread and bring it back to life. Hopefully, someone will read it.

Now that the 4 cyl. Sienna has been out for a while, has anyone owned or tested one enough to have an opinion on power, economy, maintenance, etc? I had great success with a 2009 6 cyl. and would entertain the 4 cyl. if it shows operating economy that makes up for the loss in power.

The 4 banger Sienna went completely pass me. Didn't even realize it was on the market (no longer for NA apparently). But here is one review I dug up - looks like the author was driving a rental:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/04/review-toyota-sienna-le-2-7/

the article wrote:
Yes, it’s very slow, and yes, it’s very coarse, but I trust it more than I trust any Toyota V-6. If I had to drive a Sienna for the next decade and cover all the expenses myself, I might be tempted to choose the four.............here’s no possible reason to own a Sienna other than the explicit expectation of Land-Cruiser-in-Africa-style long-term durability, and the 2.7L would be an asset on that particular balance sheet.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: