MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Licence plate bulb replacement
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delladog

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

Hi, does anyone know how to change a licence plate bulb for a 2005 MPV sport?

Thanks, Ed
medrvmx5

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

Look at the clear plastic cover, there is an arrow on it. Push it that way. The clear plastic cover will break Rolling Eyes You will then need to go online to a Mazda parts place and order a new $35 piece.

My Miata has the same stupid design, so I have done it before.

Tony

2002 Blaze Yellow Mazda MX-5 FM2 Turbo
2007 Firemist Red Ford Escape Limited
2006 Strato Blue Mazda MPV
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=18024
http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=14791

Just a couple of existing threads that help show the issue with these clip/tab type light covers. If you're careful, you may not end up breaking the tab.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
DaddyinKC
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

Funny thing...after my long post my bulb is still working! Very Happy
2012 Nissan Quest LE
My car is a 2007 Lexus GS350
www.distinctportraits.com
www.facebook.com\distinctportraits
dbusguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

yup, my mechanic broke the tab on mine. He put a small dab of silicone to hold it into place.
gm3mtm

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

The removal is really easy. Note from the comments above that the fragile side of these light houses is the right side. The strong side is the left side..... this is the side that does NOT break. You don't want to pull down on the right side you want to pull down on the left side. Get an L shaped metal object and put it under the left side of the bulb cover unit after the unit is pushed to the right side. Pull down on the L shaped metal 'tool'. I used vice grips and two small L shaped hex wrenches. After removing the unit I beefed up the right side with some of that GOOP stuff and reinforced it with a piece of metal. Piece of cake. Don't buy into ... this will always break because it is just not true.... solve the puzzle. Namaste.
MPV OWNER of 3. GBM
Christopher15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

I tried doing it for myself today because I got tired of seeing the blue license plate lamps on my Pathfinder I decided to do a switch put the blue lamps on the MPV. Boy it was a pain to get that thing out, I was worried from everything you guys had said but I said let me give it a shot, I was fortunate to get out though with a pen cap, the one on the left side though was a pain to take out as compared with the right. The one on the right popped off quickly. When it was over I was relieved and wished Mazda just put screws instead like on my Pathfinder. If anyone is interested to see pics, i'll be more than happy to post them. Very Happy
gm3mtm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

Yes. Post the photos.
MPV OWNER of 3. GBM
Christopher15

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

Taken with a Panasonic DMC-TZ4 camera. Hopefully it gives a good idea of how it looks, I must say it looks nicer on the MPV than on the Pathfinder, probably because it's silver and my Pathfinder is black.
.baby_dubz.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

hey guys, thought i'd post in an existing thread than start a new one...

so like the OP, one of my license plate bulbs on my 2003 MPV are out and I was looking to replace it with some LEDS.

I was thinking about getting T13-x6 Wedge Base LED bulb

from http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

(it's about 80% of the way down the page). I'm guessing and the bulb is a 168 type wedge base bulb? The one I want is contains 6 LEDS. There are some that 4 LEDS, but I'm guessing the 6x is brighter so I want those. Is it just plug and play?
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

yes it is.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 98 Grand Voyager LE
.baby_dubz.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

so it doesn't matter if i get the 6 LED or the 4 LED one?
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

doesn't matter at all. There are about a trillion different LED 194/168 bulbs out there. Most but certainly not all are available on ebay. There are some good online stores that specialize in this too. By visiting these, you can learn about the various types of LEDs there are. Sure, 6 LEDs will be 50% brighter than 4 of the same type, but are they the same type? Are they regular looking LEDs? SMD LEDs are way brighter and more compact. I have 194s that each have 3 SMDs that give a very cool white, which means a little toward the blue. A regular LED in white may not be as blue. Even among the "regular" type, they come in different brightnesses, and sometimes, maybe most times, it's not apparent how bright, compared to incandescent 194s, they are. Generally they are not as bright, unless you spring for somehting that says superbright or something like that. Or SMDs. Also there is a Luxeon, which is extremely bright, but cost maybe $25 per bulb in a 3156/3157. not sure if it's available in 194/168. If you get regular LEDs, try to get as bright as you can because only the very brightest of the regular LEDs can match an incandescent bulb.

MPV gone Sad
.baby_dubz.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

wow thanks for all the info!

I was asking whehter the number of LEDs matter because I was worried abotu the diamater of the bulb and whether it would fit, but I'm guessing it's pretty obvious if it fits or not?
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence plate bulb replacement Reply with quote

I guess you can tell in the pic if it's not too wide to fit in the hole, but honestly I haven't seen a 194 LED that was too wide. They wouldn't make it that wide if they know it's a 194 they know what the hole is like. I haven't seen one barely wider than an incandescent. The hole for the socket is probably close to a half inch at the narrowest part.

MPV gone Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: