MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Newbie - TCM flashed - still shift shock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Newbie - TCM flashed - still shift shock Reply with quote

I've looked through these forums and mazdaforums and tried to gather as much info on this as possible.

The MPV is 2002 w/ 81K miles on it. It was experiencing the ubiquitous shift shock going from 2nd-3rd. I didn't see any indication under the hood that any recall/TSB was ever done related to the TCM, and my son (who works at the dealer but not as a tech) looked by VIN and didn't see anything in the dealer system that this van had ever had anything done to it so we thought that the TCM flash should remedy this problem.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked. After my son called and said the shifting is still a little harsh going into 3rd, I gave him the TSB # 0500104 and 0004180 and he's going to discuss this w/ the tech. They said the fluid level is good and it doesn't look discolored.

The van is driving great in all other gears. Any other ideas? She's only had the MPV for a month and loves the van, this is the only disappointment she's found.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie - TCM flashed - still shift shock Reply with quote

Change the tranny fluid (at least do a drain and fill) especially if you don't know the history of the van with the previous owner. You might also want to try reseting the computer to erase the tranny learned behavior.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
drm7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie - TCM flashed - still shift shock Reply with quote

I have had the shift shock for 84,000 miles. I also have a slight shift flare. The tech supposedly flashed the TCM around 20,000 miles. I never noticed any difference. I hope to get 150k+ out of her so hopefully no long term affects occur from this.

I do a full trans flush every 30k.

Good luck!

2003 Mazda MPV LX - sage green, 4 seasons pkg, rear step, rear a/c, side airbags, roof rack, fog lights, traction control
Ron L

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie - TCM flashed - still shift shock Reply with quote

I had a chance to talk to a tech at the dealer and he suggested resetting the computer and going through the re-learn phase before doing anything.

The fluid looked very clean and fresh. He said that some calibrations can be so delicate, even a change in fluid that changes viscosity, etc. can cause the van to require a reset. At least it won't cost me anything to do the reset.

If that doesn't work, we'll recheck fluid and go from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: