MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

2001 mpv sputtering
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdogness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

HI. I have a 2001 mpv. I love it. Until now. I have replaced my IMRC and my MAF sensor. There are no more trouble codes coming up. But here is my problem. When I sit at a light, it wants to stall. I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal to keep it from stalling. It is very sluggish when i try to go. It hesitates and even backfires a little. I have also fixed a vacuum leak that took away my P0300 code. The idle does fluctuate up and down. When I finally get going, it still seems like there is a miss somewhere. I did notice that my exhaust smells very rich. Does that rule out a fuel delivery problem or a clogged fuel filter?? I am at my wits end because I have already dropped a good chunk of change into this van. I really don't want to take it to the dealer because I don't want to get reamed by them. I did put new plugs into it also. I didn't use the high end plugs and I am wondering if they just aren't "hot" enough for my van. Should I run better plugs instead of Champions?? If anyone has any ideas, please shoot them my way. Thank you so very much in advance for any help I might get. Confused
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=18667
MartPcieV

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

Hi, I just signed up for the club and it appears that someone else who is fairly new to this forum is having the same issues with 2001 Mazda MPV.
Two months ago, I started experiencing the sputtering problems while accelerating and idling. With my limited car repair experience, I thought the transmission was giving up after having been serviced a few times this year already. The CEL never came up and I went back to a dealer for a checkup. They told me right off the bat, without any further troubleshooting, that the car needed a tune-up. They were asking $375 for the tune-up with no guarantee that it could fix the problem. I decided to pay their overpriced diagnosis fee of $120!!! and took it to my well-respected mechanic. I got the tune-up performed at 80,000 miles with original Mazda spark plugs and wires.
Two months after the tune-up was performed, which was about 10 days ago when it got really cold (I live in the Midwest) my car started having the same symptoms it had before: frequent sputtering, loss of power, hesitation, engine knocking and intense smell coming out of the exhaust. The CEL came on blinking. My mechanic plugged in the ODB2 device and it captured 5 different codes:
P1345
P0171
P0305
P1309
P1173
In short, these codes pertain to bad oxygen sensors, engine misfire and faulty MAF. There is probably more to it then I really think.
So, I call my extended warranty friendly advisor and was told that most of this stuff is covered, however, the dealership needs to agree with it. The drivablity got so bad that I had to tow my Mazda in to the dealership. As soon as the car got in, it would not start anymore and they could not reproduce the ODB codes. First thing they tell me, without any hesitation - 'your car needs a tune-up,' otherwise they won't touch it. I informed them that the tune-up was done two months ago and I don't need it anymore. The dealership questioned the worksmanship of my mechanic and insisted that they won't do any work on it unless I let them perform a tune-up. At that point, I just had it with them and told the customer advisor what I really thought about the entire situation and them trying to screw me without any remorse. So, after me blowing up, they decided to waive a diagnosis fee but insited on the darn tune-up.
I decided to call my mechanic and he faxed over a receipt from a Mazda dealership that he purchased proper and original parts for the tune-up. I ended up going back to the dealership to give them the actual receipt. After taking a look at the receipt, they must have change their minds because the service manager confirmed the validity of the parts and ordered to take a look at the vehicle without performing the tune-up. This is still pending and I will post another reply with any updates later on. Sorry for the long post but I had no other shorter way of describing my experience.
jimdogness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I am in the process right now of cleaning my intake manifold. What I did notice when I pulled it off was that the top side of the plenium gaskets were wet with gas. I am assuming that the intake was improperly torqued down. I am hoping that when I properly torque it down, it will solve my problem. Am I on the right track??
mazda-fla
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

It sounds like you have air leaks in the intake manifold, air is seeping in at the mating surface. I had exactly that same thing happen to a 2000 MPV and a 1999 Mazda Millenia.

Make sure the intake manifold is torqued down correctly. There is probably also a torque sequence you have to follow. If you follow the sequence and the torque specs, that problem should go away.

If air is seeping in, then the van should buck during hard accelaration. Try this: Be at a dead stop, then floor it, and bring it up to 60 mph under hard accelaration. If it doesn't buck (it accelarates fine) then you probably have a different problem. Probably related to a vacuum leak. If it starts bucking like crazy, then that would indicate air seeping in at the intake manifold mating surfaces. Also, there are some rare reports that the 2000-2001 MPV's have cracked intake manifolds, that would also cause similar symptoms.
jimdogness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

Thank you so very much. It bucks like crazy when I try to accelerate. I just put the manifold back on. I do have the sequence and the right torque. I am hoping for the best. Now I just need a darn torque wrench!! Thank you again for all of your help.
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

jimdogness wrote:
Thank you so very much. It bucks like crazy when I try to accelerate. I just put the manifold back on. I do have the sequence and the right torque. I am hoping for the best. Now I just need a darn torque wrench!! Thank you again for all of your help.

?? so what is the code now?? I assume you are saying that there is still a problem.

I would check for air leaks, spray some carb cleaner around the intake you wil notice a change in revs...

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

Jimdogness,
... you are on the right track. I know so because you're hunting a torque wrench. And you cleaned the intake manifold.

I finally have a 1/4" beam torque wrench. Took me a while to find one. The range is 0-10Nm ... just right for these small bolts.
bubba
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

Did you replace those intake jimdogness or just reusing the old ones. Not very expensive either using OE or Felpro. Odd that gas would be on the top side of the plenum or surge tank gaskets as the injector are down below them. Hope it work out for you.

Those code number do not all just point to oxygen sensors, missing and MAF MartPcieV. 1173 does kind of but not necessarily. Code definitions below.

P0171.... RH bank fuel trim system too lean....PCM monitors short term fuel trim (SHRTFT) and long term fuel trim (LONGFT) values when the monitoring conditions are met or run the DRIVE MODE 1. If fuel trim exceeds preprogrammed criteria, PCM determines that the fuel system is too lean.

P0305....Cylinder 5 missfire.....PCM monitors crankshaft position sensor input signal interval time. PCM calculates the change of the interval time for each cylinder. If the change of interval time exceeds the preprogrammed criteria, PCM detects a misfire in the corresponding cylinder.

P1173.....Heater oxygen sensor front LH not inversion.....PCM monitors input voltage from front HO2S when the following monitoring conditions are met. If input voltage from sensor remains below or above 0.45 V for 43.2 seconds, PCM determines that there is no HO2S (Front, LH) inversion.
With engine speed over 1500rpm and coolant temperature above 158'F

P1309.......PCM IC for misfire detection.....When IC which is detecting misfire sends an extraordinary signal to PCM, the PCM determine that IC has malfunction.

P1345.....Camshaft position (CMP) sensor circuit malfunction.......PCM monitors input voltage from CMP sensor while MAF is above 2.43 g/sec. If PCM does not receive input voltage from CMP sensor while PCM receives input signal from CKP sensor, PCM determines that CMP circuit has malfunction.

Think would start by carefully checking the cam sensor, connections, and air gap and then consider looking into a vacuum or other type of air leak myself.
A faulty or erratic cam signal could be setting all of these codes as well as the symptoms you are describing.
12Ounce
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

The cam sensor is a good candidate. I noticed when doing recent engine rebuild that the cam sensor on our 2000 had indications of being overheated ... even had cracks on the sensor body. Didn't have a replacement so it's still at work. Now that you've reminded me, I'll get a replacement on hand.

But what's this about "air-gap"?
jimdogness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

There are no more codes coming up. I am still hunting the torque wrench. A.Z. said they will let me rent one. Thanks again to everyone who replied and gave me such great advice. Very Happy
jimdogness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

The gaskets look fantastic so I let them be. There were no cracks or anything. I wanted to replace them, but I have already gone broke replacing my MAF and my IMRC. Those were the only codes. Now the codes are gone. I just need to torque the bolts!!
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

12Ounce wrote:
Jimdogness,
... you are on the right track. I know so because you're hunting a torque wrench. And you cleaned the intake manifold.

I finally have a 1/4" beam torque wrench. Took me a while to find one. The range is 0-10Nm ... just right for these small bolts.

I am glad you understood the post 12Ounce...I am afraid it just confused me a little....

So it sounds like he is on the right track then, and just needs to torque down the bolts correctly.

I know that it is not an easy intake to get positioned right to, so hope all is good there.

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

jimdogness wrote:
The gaskets look fantastic so I let them be. There were no cracks or anything. I wanted to replace them, but I have already gone broke replacing my MAF and my IMRC. Those were the only codes. Now the codes are gone. I just need to torque the bolts!!

So did your MAF and IMRC need replacing??

jimdogness

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2001 mpv sputtering Reply with quote

I have one more thing....can I convert inch pounds into foot pounds?? Confused Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: