MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Gm prevents theft by onstar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> New Auto Technologies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
au-dy-z
Matsuda- zoom zoom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

hmm, some crzy tech i woul really like. basically, when your car is stolen and call onstar and report that your car is missing, they will track your car and contact the police about the stolen car.

onstar makes the car slow down by disabling the gas switch in which makes then stop.

pretty cool

supposely they did this because of hot pursuit and how they can killppl and that they hav millions in one year.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2007/10/onstar-adds-the.html

^
^
マツダ ご
ma-tsu-da go
that means MAZDA FIVE in japanese.

i took japanese this summer, so fun, cant wait till next summer when i have
zamboni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

Hate to sound rude- but OnStars been around for several years now- and they pretty much stole the idea for this from Lo-Jakk, which I believe was the first satellite tracking system about 20 years ago. OnStar can completely cut the engine off after the police have been notified of its location- which I have been a part of firsthand having worked for a rental car agency in which we had several cars stolen equipped with OnStar.
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

zamboni wrote:
Hate to sound rude- but OnStars been around for several years now- and they pretty much stole the idea for this from Lo-Jakk, which I believe was the first satellite tracking system about 20 years ago. OnStar can completely cut the engine off after the police have been notified of its location- which I have been a part of firsthand having worked for a rental car agency in which we had several cars stolen equipped with OnStar.

Shocked

I am guessing they do not have that here in Australia, havent seen anything about being able to stop drivers so easily as switching off their motor...

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
au-dy-z
Matsuda- zoom zoom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

wow, i totally forgot about lo jack. but lo jack can only track teh car, you still get the hot pursuit. onstar is making it to prevent hot pursuits too cuz of the death of innocent civilians in the city and also due to not having much hot pursuit, the car can be returned in good condition whether if it was in a hot pursuit, its all damaged.

when my mercedes ml320 was stolen, it was returned all damaged. the side, the mirror, the chrome wheels. tho it was a happy thought, we lost 6 grand due to damage when we traded in the car for the mz5.

technically onstar isnt really stealing the idea of tracking the car. i think of it as car company taking the idea and making it better.

^
^
マツダ ご
ma-tsu-da go
that means MAZDA FIVE in japanese.

i took japanese this summer, so fun, cant wait till next summer when i have
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

OnStar does a whole lot more that Lo Jac ever though of. Laughing

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

2003MPV-LX wrote:
OnStar does a whole lot more that Lo Jac ever though of. Laughing

Yeah - and Tiger Woods and Jeff Gordon use their's all the time Twisted Evil

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gm prevents theft by onstar Reply with quote

I remember some car jacking solution that let the perp drive away in the interest of the victim's safety, the victim at some point hit a button, then the next time the vehicle stops the engine shuts down. I don't remember if the button was in the car or on a remote in the vicim's pocket or purse, and I don't think it involved any tracking.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> New Auto Technologies All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: