MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Seems as though this pops up periodically but with the auto industry in a bit of a pickle (as is everything else), looks like automakers are putting lines out to pasture without thinking twice:

* Nissan Quest - to be killed
* Chrysler minivan - global rollout put on hold. still hanging on on NA but barely.
* GM - long gone
* Ford - long gone in NA
* Mazda - MIA in NA

Seems as though the only ones that are doing anything are Toyota and Honda - lets see how long these guys hold out.

Also I think Fiat's got a minivan so there may be hope if they partner up with Chrylser.....

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

You forgot to include the Korean's (i.e., Hyundai and Kia) who are both still playing in the NA minivan space with the Kia Sedona and it's Hyundai twin.
2006 Mazda5 GT (Touring) AT
Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Mazda technically has the Mazda5 as a multiple people mover, but alas it technically is not a minivan.

Crossovers are the rage, have said it before...

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

antlind wrote:
You forgot to include the Korean's (i.e., Hyundai and Kia) who are both still playing in the NA minivan space with the Kia Sedona and it's Hyundai twin.
Hyundai and Kia seem to be the only manufacturer in positive growth territory.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
Mazda technically has the Mazda5 as a multiple people mover, but alas it technically is not a minivan.

Crossovers are the rage, have said it before...

-Brian
Folks keep referring to it as a minivan but its not. Interestingly, there is a class of vehicles in Europe and I think the rest of the world called MPV (not the Mazda minivan) which the Mz5 belongs to. They're basically tall wagons with 2 to 3 rows. Not quite the ground clearance of a Crossover or SUV.
kwong

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Don't forget the VW branded Dodge minivan...
More and more buyers believe that CUV/SUV is the future, and the minivans will go out the way like the stationwagons.
novalight
Administrator
A-spec Touring Edition
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

but aren't stationwagons back? i.e. dodge magnum and ford freestyle?
2004 A-spec Touring Edition (look it up)
instagram: Tangofury
Added Suspension: Carbing Tower Bar, TEIN Stechs, Airlift Airbags, Energy Suspension Bushings
Added Exhaust: Cherry BOMB Glasspack, 22" X 3" TIP
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Wagons are always cool, it's just that people are in denial too often about that fact. Wink

I like to argue with ppl who love their SUVs that they're just driving lifted wagons. Heck, a minivan is a wagon too if you want to pick nits... four-doors and a hatchback.

Cross-overs are the wagon 'flavor of the week' right now, because high fuel prices last year scared people... and the economy scares people currently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

novalight wrote:
but aren't stationwagons back? i.e. dodge magnum and ford freestyle?

Magnum was cancelled and the Freestyle/Taurus-X was replaced by the Flex. (I saw that at the car show last week and it was a very nice vehichle - actually the Ford Lincoln lineup had several impressive new models. But I digress.

The tall wagons that are everywhere in Asia have been rumored in NA for a while but seem more likely now after last year's gas price spike. Mazda was definitely on the cutting edge bringing it here before the others, and with some of the options on the current MY (HIDs, leather, nav) it is really a nice vehichle.

Gotta agree with Java that wagons are cooler than is acknowledged. CUVs are just big wagons - look at that new Toyota - it's a Camry wagon on big wheels.

The VW/Audi wagons are quite nice, and the Legacy wagon / Outback has always been a workhorse.

I also don't know how people get the rear doors open on these things in parking lots. CX-9 rear doors are HUUUGE. Shocked

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
....... look at that new Toyota - it's a Camry wagon on big wheels.
hmmmm....a Toyota Magnum perhaps? I was looking at the profile of one and was curious how they were going to classify this. Maybe "wagons" will make a comeback.
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
Dave wrote:
hmmmm....a Toyota Magnum perhaps? I was looking at the profile of one and was curious how they were going to classify this. Maybe "wagons" will make a comeback.

The lady on the giant lazy susan wth the car at the show said it was classified by Toyota as a CUV, but then again this woman didn't know what a hitch receiver was when someone who was looking at the sticker asked her. She did know how much it could tow (3,500#?).

The Venza on display was on 20" wheels - can you imagine what new tires are going to cost on that?

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo! - SOLD 04/2016
'13 BMW 328i
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
vkc wrote:
Dave wrote:

The lady on the giant lazy susan wth the car at the show said it was classified by Toyota as a CUV, but then again this woman didn't know what a hitch receiver was when someone who was looking at the sticker asked her. She did know how much it could tow (3,500#?).

The Venza on display was on 20" wheels - can you imagine what new tires are going to cost on that?

Well not as much as you think... $600-700 a set, unless they're going with run-flats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
Dave wrote:

They call of them "crossovers".

I guess I'm still out of touch.... I have a minivan (MPV) and a wagon (HHR), even though they call it a CUV.... Rolling Eyes It's a wagon for pete's sake..... Laughing

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

2003MPV-LX wrote:
......a wagon (HHR), even though they call it a CUV.... Rolling Eyes It's a wagon for pete's sake..... Laughing
This is when you know the marketing types have taken liberties with the auto industry. btw, the HHR SS looks *very* interesting.
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Minivans going the way of the Dodo bird? Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
2003MPV-LX wrote:
......a wagon (HHR), even though they call it a CUV.... Rolling Eyes It's a wagon for pete's sake..... Laughing
This is when you know the marketing types have taken liberties with the auto industry. btw, the HHR SS looks *very* interesting.

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Domestic car company, dude!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: