MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Just got my new 2008 MPV!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ms. mdx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Recently transferred to Tokyo for a few years. Looked at several different vehicles and decided on the 2008 MPV. I received it yesterday and was able to drive it on the highway today. The ride was quiet and it felt very stable. Nothing like new car smell Very Happy

For the past month I had a Honda stream as a loaner and the MPV seems huge compared to that! I had driven an Acura MDX for the past 4 years and the MPV is about the same size ... but the roads in Tokyo are much smaller!!

I got the 2.3 Turbo AWD in the dark red color. Got pretty much all of the options except the rear DVD - not much use since it only plays Japanese format. Hard to translate all the stuff since it was all in Japanese. We used a card broker to purchase and although he was very good it isn't the same as being able to read all the literature and manuals. The car speaks to me and I have no clue what it is saying Rolling Eyes .

The front, side and rear view cameras are pretty neat, although I had to get the Japanese Navigation to get the camera. Got the basic sound system. Did not get the laser/adaptive cruise control ... don't get to do much cruising in Tokyo traffic! I like to personalize my cars so I had them add the front, side and rear spoilers of the "Urban Gran turismo" package. Also added a 100 v outlet and iPod outlet.

The Navi package seems to have lots of good features such as voice recognition, but I can't read all the menus/options. I'll have to check with the broker if I can program some of my phone/bluetooth commands in English. Of course he is going to have to walk me through all the steps ... very frustrating.

I will take some photos tomorrow Smile
Gebco
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!

There are many members here who are lamenting the fact that we do not get the new MPV here. We will have to live vicariously through your posts and experiences!

Post those pics soon!

15 Town and Country
08 Town and Country Limited 180 000 km - Sold
02 MPV ES Midnight Blue 125 000 km - Sold
05 Kia Amanti - aka Old Man Car 68 000 km
96 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed Dark Green 105000 km - Sold

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Bob and Doug McKenzie
initial_d2k
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

omggg... finally a 08 MPV 2.3T in the club =D
sweet stuffs =D

*OT* when i was readin a car tunin mag from HK, they showed a brembo brake for MPV and CX-7 .. i was all happy, but 30 sec later, i figured it's for the new MPV.. =)

anywya ... very happy to hear all the car buying in japan =D
tell us later how the 2.3T feels!!
picture is a must Cool

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2418929/
'03 MPV LX
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

ahh....congrats. The new MDX in the States, btw, is smaller than the one you owned.

Does this mean that we should have a Gen 3 forum? I'd really like to hear your impression on the vehicle and your experience driving in Japan. As Gebco eluded, you kinda have the weight of all us poor slobs who can't get the Mz8 riding on your shoulders.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Envy indeed. Welcome and congrats! Mazda has embraced the "consumer wants crossovers" here in N.A. and Canada, making the Mazda8 (or JDM MPV) non-existent here. Their stance is that the CX-9 is the replacement/equivalent, but many members here would disagree. Fortunately we have the Mazda5 to choose from as well.

Yes, pics of that sweet red color would be nice. super agree

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Sad envy....sadness these are all words that have been expressed. So we share in the joy of your new purchase. Would be good to hear some detailed impressions of the vehicle etc.

Welcome to the club

ms. MDX Very Happy

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

CONGRATULATIONS on your latest purchase of the 2008 MPV. Too bad they are not being imported in NA by MAZDA. They really look nice for 2008. MAZDA made a big mistake by pulling out of the minivan market. Good luck with your new ride, Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
ms. mdx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Thanks! I have done quite a bit of driving this past week and got to drive the car on the highway too. I got up to 120km (75mph) a few times, but the speed limits here are very low and my husband kept telling me I was going to receive a ticket in the mail Rolling Eyes .

It is hard to review the car because so many other factors are happening at the same time ... left hand drive, small roads, language issues. Overall the car is very quiet, the turbo provides decent acceleration, the ride is comfortable, steering feels just right - not too soft or hard. Getting used to the keyless ignition ... kind of silly in a way because you still have to get the fob out to lock/unlock the car. I really like the back up camera and front and side mounted cameras. All the cameras show the trajectory of the car and a red "stop" line. Basic sound system is pretty good.

Front seats are ok. I'm on the small side so the side supports don't actually touch my sides. Adjustments are manual, but plenty of range to get a good driving position. There is a little too much arc to the seats and the headrest is a little too far back, but not uncomfortable (the only car I've owned with near prefect seats and headrests was a 540 BMW in the early '90s).

Very impressed with the headlights and foglight. Foglights are great for the narrow city streets and tight turn. That's all I can think of right now. Haven't forgotten about the photos .. just have to remember to do it.
tommygunzit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

where's the pics?
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I would say in the city, parking is so important, so that camera system must be great. Any chance you can get a photo of it in operation. These are not really very common here in Australia yet. We seem to be a good 10 years behind in most technology. Although safety wise we are pretty current.

Looking forward to the photos, but don't stress, life can get rather busy before Christmas here....so must be the same over there...

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

I hate you.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
I hate you.

.....overseas vehicle envy is a common thing in Australia....I can see you are just not used to it in NA..... Wink

ms. mdx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

Quote:
I hate you

Wow! Tough crowd Surprised

Ok, I'm taking back my complaint about the keyless ignition. I was walking up to the car, removing the credit card sized fob from my purse, opening the car and putting it back in my purse ... didn't make sense. Today I noticed that on both front door handles there is a small black rubber button ... had not noticed it before. No need to open up the purse or remove the fob from your pocket. As long as you are next to the car you can lock/unlock with the rubber buttons. Really have to try to get a Hong Kong (english) manual.
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

ms. mdx wrote:
Quote:
I hate you

Ok, I'm taking back my complaint about the keyless ignition. I was walking up to the car, removing the credit card sized fob from my purse, opening the car and putting it back in my purse ... didn't make sense. Today I noticed that on both front door handles there is a small black rubber button ... had not noticed it before. No need to open up the purse or remove the fob from your pocket. As long as you are next to the car you can lock/unlock with the rubber buttons. Really have to try to get a Hong Kong (english) manual.

Yep, that english manual will be priceless... Wink

vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Just got my new 2008 MPV!! Reply with quote

ms. mdx wrote:
Quote:
I hate you

The pics thing is like taking a bone away from a dog. Ever tried that?

ms.mdx wrote:
Really have to try to get a Hong Kong (english) manual.
Hopefully all the features offered in HK are available in Japan. Japanese manufacturers are notorious for making certain things JDM specific.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: