MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

OK, So I go to a number of electronics stores, automotive stores and nothing like QD contact cleaner on the shelves, just a bevy of other products.

So I thought I would contact CRC in Australia to see if they sold the product, seems not, however they have suggested to me that a product called

CRC CO CONTACT CLEANER

is a similar product. Reading through the technical sheet is certainly sounds good, the only point of concern is that it is not good for certain plastics (which I am sure the ones in automotive applications should be fine) such as Acrylic, ABS and Polycarbonate.

The product consists of ISOHEXANES, and that is about it.

If someone (BMW) could confirm that this seems like the right product that would be really helpful, have wanted to do this for a while.

Thanks in advance.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package

co contact cleaner (aerosol).pdf - 135.83 KB
File downloaded or viewed 368 time(s)

TechData2015, 6.pdf - 32.01 KB
File downloaded or viewed 183 time(s)

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

What about this stuff, do yall have this- use zip code 78154
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CRC&MfrPartNumber=05110&CategoryCode=3225

If not then I would buy that stuff and try it on the outside part of the air box and see if it does something on the plastic. If not, then I think it should be fine.

-Clayton
Fav. Quote- When in doubt floor it!!! Smile

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
1997 Ford F-150 (211,856mi), Tan, LTX: 10W-30 PP
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
What about this stuff, do yall have this- use zip code 78154
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=CRC&MfrPartNumber=05110&CategoryCode=3225

If not then I would buy that stuff and try it on the outside part of the air box and see if it does something on the plastic. If not, then I think it should be fine.

Thanks for that, I will check to see if this MAF cleaner is over here at all, but if not will try on the airbox, and then give it a clean, finally.

BTW, if you have time would love to see some piccies of the renovations.

Did I tell you that I think the product on my driveway is available in NA, if you have ever done some spraying of heavier products with a spray gun I would think you would be able to use the product yourself if there was not anyone who was an applicator close by. Must find that link again, nope cannot find it I think I have already given you the link to CCS which is not so far from here.

Here it is anyway, maybe they know who has this stuff in NA.

http://www.concretecoloursystems.com.au/html/stylePaveSpecifications.html

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

I know, I am posting again....trying to get my post count up to 2500 Very Happy

anyway checked a couple of sites and found this one

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/ArchiveView.asp?ForumQID=38877&Page=%2FForum%2FDefault%2Easp%3Fs%3D0%26PN%3D1

that suggests the use of the product I mentioned so will try that this weekend I think, maybe finally will get that zoom zoom feeling back again.....not that the car is slow, just that you get used to it after a while....

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

ya I heard that contact cleaner and brake cleaner were the same but I never used brake cleaner and never will.
-Clayton

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
ya I heard that contact cleaner and brake cleaner were the same but I never used brake cleaner and never will.

Think it is sometimes better to stick to the purpose stated on the can, agree that I would not feel good about using another product.

Thought I would have a chance today to get this done, but due to a strange disappearing act my medication authorization slip for the chemist has gone missing, so I am just a little below normal today insane nut and probably will be until I get a new one from the doctor next week. So as my DW said, no driving for you at the moment.....so might leave important things like this until I am back to normal.....

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

So finally had a chance to clean the MAF on Saturday.

First impression is better and quicker throttle response. So definitely a worthwhile process.

Basically followed BMWlovers DIY,

http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=95

But decided I wanted to buy a set of security bits for my birthday (couple of months ago now, but close enough that I could justify it in my little mind...

so I actually took the MAF sensor out, only two screws keep it in place, disconnect the wiring and sprayed with my CRC CO CONTACT CLEANER.

Wonderfully easy and will hopefully help fuel consumption further.

Very Happy

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Good another thing for power on your PeeVee. lol
Since you have the K&N you should do this every oil change.

I will get the pic the house later. Srry for the wait it has been crazy here! Rolling Eyes

-Clayton

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
Good another thing for power on your PeeVee. lol
Since you have the K&N you should do this every oil change.

I will get the pic the house later. Srry for the wait it has been crazy here! Rolling Eyes

So why is it so busy??

Will do on every oil change, I certainly think some of that oil will get onto there and will need regular cleaning.

Look forward to those pictures...

BTW, I read somewhere about getting rid of the bottom half of the plastic part that protrudes into the airflow, wonder if it acts as a restriction, must drill some more holes and see... Very Happy

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

What bottom part? If you are talking about the MAF then its on your own risk.

It is so busy cause school is starting, we need to finish the landscaping, van needs a lot of work, kid is in marching band and has practice everyday(in the 100degree heat), and work.

-Clayton

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
What bottom part? If you are talking about the MAF then its on your own risk.

It is so busy cause school is starting, we need to finish the landscaping, van needs a lot of work, kid is in marching band and has practice everyday(in the 100degree heat), and work.

Wow lots on in your household...it does sound like the van needs a little tlc.

Hopefully things will settle a little once school gets back to routine...but practice everyday for marching band Shocked Shocked Shocked , that is a hard one to cope with, We are fortunate that the two older boys are interested in cricket and soccer which are both walking distance from our place Smile

Sounds like that MAF mod is a real no no.Surprised Might forget that one. Wink

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Ya I would not mess with the MAF. You are risking the van to run rich which we do not want.
-Clayton

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

BTW- I hydrolocked my b3000 today. lol Embarassed
We had a tropical depression come thou San Antonio so we had tons and tons of hard rain. I was with a friend doing some puddle shopping when I saw a little hill. So I sped up to 40mph and when down it. Speed limit is 30mph so I was not really speeding to bad. The puddles were small so we keep going.
About 1/3 of a mile down there was a drain with water rushing into it. We looked at eachother and I floored it. The rpms when up to 5000 (max to the limiter) and I hit the water. It was way deeper than I thought. I later measured 2 feet. I hit it at 45mph and then my truck started to shut down. The light dimmed and the rpms dropped to 1500 in less then a sec. It scared the crap out of me. I stopped after that and the truck would barely run. It idled really really rough. After about 5 mins of driving it cleared up. Its was very scary. I need to check the intake and clean my MAF and K&N and look at the oil. I hope I did not mess up anything. And needless to say I dont think I will be hitting anymore puddles anymore.

-Clayton

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
BTW- I hydrolocked my b3000 today. lol Embarassed
We had a tropical depression come thou San Antonio so we had tons and tons of hard rain. I was with a friend doing some puddle shopping when I saw a little hill. So I sped up to 40mph and when down it. Speed limit is 30mph so I was not really speeding to bad. The puddles were small so we keep going.
About 1/3 of a mile down there was a drain with water rushing into it. We looked at eachother and I floored it. The rpms when up to 5000 (max to the limiter) and I hit the water. It was way deeper than I thought. I later measured 2 feet. I hit it at 45mph and then my truck started to shut down. The light dimmed and the rpms dropped to 1500 in less then a sec. It scared the crap out of me. I stopped after that and the truck would barely run. It idled really really rough. After about 5 mins of driving it cleared up. Its was very scary. I need to check the intake and clean my MAF and K&N and look at the oil. I hope I did not mess up anything. And needless to say I dont think I will be hitting anymore puddles anymore.

ooo dear......mental note number 1....

no driving through big puddles really fast with a CAI....

I am sure it will be alright though, as long as it kept running it should be OK, run some fuel injector cleaner through and some seafoam and the b3000 will be a happy truck..... Very Happy

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help on QD contact cleaner for MAF cleaning Reply with quote

Well I bet driving really fast through big puddles would not cause it to suck water up. I think what it was is that I was flooring it through it and at high rpms the suction pulled water up. lol o well every thing is fine so I will be doing the things you said along with cleaning the MAF and K&N.
-Clayton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: