MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Automatic Transmission with Pictures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

All those pictures...that is worth a thousand words....

Seems like the outcome was good, did you replace that plastic baffle thing?? Is that what they call the filter, looks nothing like a filter. Shocked .

I noticed they had those over on rockauto at a pretty cheap price.

anyway just glad to see it all went well. definitely keep us updated.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
str8path

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

plastic baffle thing? I saw only on the filter (#16 photo) the rubber arouund the circle inlet and inside, you may notice a white or cream looking piece which is a filter like matter. Yes, I only got the parts from DIscount, did not have time to wait for mail but if I had the chance, I would have bought it online. The van was bleeding, so I had to go get it fixed as soon as I was able to.
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

str8path wrote:
plastic baffle thing? I saw only on the filter (#16 photo) the rubber arouund the circle inlet and inside, you may notice a white or cream looking piece which is a filter like matter. Yes, I only got the parts from DIscount, did not have time to wait for mail but if I had the chance, I would have bought it online. The van was bleeding, so I had to go get it fixed as soon as I was able to.

So this picture here shows the magnets??

I think I understand what you mean, sorry about that "plastic baffle" thing, it just looks plastic, I seen now it must be metal.

So did you replace this part??

....and where was it leaking???

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

The first pic is showing 2 little mags. The little metal on them is normal.
And the 2nd pic is the filter. Should be replaced every 30,000miles.

-Clayton
Fav. Quote- When in doubt floor it!!! Smile

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
1997 Ford F-150 (211,856mi), Tan, LTX: 10W-30 PP
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
The first pic is showing 2 little mags. The little metal on them is normal.
And the 2nd pic is the filter. Should be replaced every 30,000miles.

This is what I thought, so I only had a flush recently so don't need new fluid but would really like to change out the filter I think (do I clean those magnets??

So I would follow the same procedure as this?? and just fill up the transmission via the dipstick?

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

you can do the bolt if you want but I never have. I just drop the pan. Clean everything (pan, mags, new filter, and gasket area). Put the new filter on and put the pan back on and fill her back up via the dipstick.
-Clayton

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
you can do the bolt if you want but I never have. I just drop the pan. Clean everything (pan, mags, new filter, and gasket area). Put the new filter on and put the pan back on and fill her back up via the dipstick.

So this is a real newb question but how do you make sure the fluid goes where you want it to....

str8path

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

BM did what I did CPAP, I put the new filter that came with the kit. Also pay attention to the rubber washer that goes on the round inlet of the aluminum side of filter. According to the service person when I got an estimate, they were going to do a flush for 130 dollars but it does not involve changing the gasket and filter. Total for all was going to be 193 dollars. That is why I decided to do it myself. It only cost me 40 dollars and know if there is another leak, I can fix it myself. I did have to scrape the orage gasket that was on the pan with a plastic scraper like what is used for spackling dry wall, those were hard to get off. I also removed the magnets and clean them witha rag. They had dark stains on tehm from small metallic pieces jsut as you would see when a magnet falls inground or soil.

Str8path
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

str8path wrote:
BM did what I did CPAP, I put the new filter that came with the kit. Also pay attention to the rubber washer that goes on the round inlet of the aluminum side of filter. According to the service person when I got an estimate, they were going to do a flush for 130 dollars but it does not involve changing the gasket and filter. Total for all was going to be 193 dollars. That is why I decided to do it myself. It only cost me 40 dollars and know if there is another leak, I can fix it myself. I did have to scrape the orage gasket that was on the pan with a plastic scraper like what is used for spackling dry wall, those were hard to get off. I also removed the magnets and clean them witha rag. They had dark stains on tehm from small metallic pieces jsut as you would see when a magnet falls inground or soil.

Str8path

Thanks for that, I can see another DIY weekend coming up soon. Very Happy

str8path

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

I don't know, but maybe BM can answer that...BMW, what are your thoughts?
Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

Ya make sure you scrap off any old gasket cause that will cause leaks.
And ashley, the fluid will go in the pan when you pour it in the dipstick. You can see it in the first set of pics that is posted.
And the pan takes 3 1/2qts.
Good luck with it!!

-Clayton

Last edited by Bmwlover540i on Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
Ya make sure you scrap off any old gasket cause that will cause leaks.
And ashley, the fluid will go in the pan when you pour it in the dipstick. You can see it in the first set of pics that her posted.
And the pan takes 4 1/2qts.
Good luck with it!!

Thanks for that, but I was wondering how when you drop the pan, instead of the drain bolt, you make sure that the transmission fluid actually goes where you want it to go....ie. into the plastic container I have for draining fluids??

str8path

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

The funny thing about it, is after I removed all the screws that hold the pan, it was adhered to the body. I had a big pan that you can get from walmart. SO I tried prying it slowly with a screwdriver (I should have used a plastic spatula) The pan fell, spilling the ATF. I nearly jumped not to get wet buut I still did. Anyways, I think the very fsrt time your remove the factory seal, make sure you are carefel and if possible have one hand holding the pan. Very Happy
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

str8path wrote:
The funny thing about it, is after I removed all the screws that hold the pan, it was adhered to the body. I had a big pan that you can get from walmart. SO I tried prying it slowly with a screwdriver (I should have used a plastic spatula) The pan fell, spilling the ATF. I nearly jumped not to get wet buut I still did. Anyways, I think the very fsrt time your remove the factory seal, make sure you are carefel and if possible have one hand holding the pan. Very Happy

Shocked I think I might use that drain plug first.... Wink

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic Transmission with Pictures Reply with quote

Naaa dont worry about it ashley. You are thinking way to much into it.lol
Very Happy
Just take off one side set of bolts and the pan will tilt and pour some ATF into a oil pan. Then take the other bolts off and pour the rest of the ATF in the pan like you are pouring water from one kitchen bowl to another bowl. Its super super easy. And fun. You will be fine.
And the pan holds 4 1/2qts. I dont know how much you will get out of the drain bolt cause I have never done that.

-Clayton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: