MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002-
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samevo8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Thanks for your response! Any idea why the belts are moving so slowly?

scross wrote:
That strikes me as being awfully LOUD for an engine trying to start. It sounds like maybe you didn't close things up properly somewhere, so internal engine noise is leaking out. As far as the throttle cable, it won't move unless someone is actively moving the gas pedal, which shouldn't be necessary during a start anyway.
samevo8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

I'm wondering if something broke? I'm attaching a picture of a yellow tab that seems to be sticking out of a protrusion on the back of the intake manifold. I've superimposed Bubba's first picture from his walk through. I believe this is the "P/S hose from bracket". My picture (in the background) is a view from the front of the intake manifold while Bubba's picture is a view from the rear of the intake manifold.

As a reference, you can see the EGR valve towards the right of the picture.

samevo8 wrote:
Thanks for your response! Any idea why the belts are moving so slowly?

scross wrote:
That strikes me as being awfully LOUD for an engine trying to start. It sounds like maybe you didn't close things up properly somewhere, so internal engine noise is leaking out. As far as the throttle cable, it won't move unless someone is actively moving the gas pedal, which shouldn't be necessary during a start anyway.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

The belt speed doesn't strike me as odd because in a crank situation the engine RPM is low enough that nothing will be turning very fast anyway. So IMO the belt speed here is probably normal, but someone else might disagree.

If memory serves, the little broken bracket that you are referring to just holds a wire or maybe small hose in place. Not a big deal if it's broken, probably, but it would be a good idea to track that wire or hose down and re-secure it somehow, because you don't want that touching anything hot or rubbing up against anything if you can avoid it.

Along those lines (and speaking from experience), when you put the manifold back into place and start to bolt it down (there are six or maybe eight bolts down front, as I recall), if you aren't careful it's possible to pinch one of the wiring harnesses in place under right-front edge of the manifold, at or near the throttle body. This could potentially damage that harness, and it could also lead you to think that the manifold is sitting securely in position when it really isn't (there will be a small gap there). If that's your situation then that might explain both the loud noise and the no-start condition. BTW, there is a specific order (and a specific torque) that you need to follow when tightening the bolts here.
samevo8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll take a look at that. When I put the manifold back, I found that my PCV hose felt a bit too short so I lifted the manifold to do some adjustments on the PCV hose. When I tried to place the manifold back, I noticed that I was having more difficulty than the first attempt and that the front left bolt was having problems threading. It could very well be that there's a gap between the manifold and the engine block.

The front intake manifold gasket also had to be re-seated as it moved when I was trying to adjust the manifold the second time. I'll take the manifold off again (good time to check all my connections as well.)

scross wrote:
The belt speed doesn't strike me as odd because in a crank situation the engine RPM is low enough that nothing will be turning very fast anyway. So IMO the belt speed here is probably normal, but someone else might disagree.

If memory serves, the little broken bracket that you are referring to just holds a wire or maybe small hose in place. Not a big deal if it's broken, probably, but it would be a good idea to track that wire or hose down and re-secure it somehow, because you don't want that touching anything hot or rubbing up against anything if you can avoid it.

Along those lines (and speaking from experience), when you put the manifold back into place and start to bolt it down (there are six or maybe eight bolts down front, as I recall), if you aren't careful it's possible to pinch one of the wiring harnesses in place under right-front edge of the manifold, at or near the throttle body. This could potentially damage that harness, and it could also lead you to think that the manifold is sitting securely in position when it really isn't (there will be a small gap there). If that's your situation then that might explain both the loud noise and the no-start condition. BTW, there is a specific order (and a specific torque) that you need to follow when tightening the bolts here.
samevo8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Did some more work today but the MPV still doesn't start. Sad

Things I did:
1. Re-checked connections (hoses, and electrical.) Found that the smaller vacuum hose above the PCV hose was cracked at the join so I replaced the hose body (kept the two connector ends.)

2. Re-seated the intake manifold, checked tightness of the bolts.

3. Checked all the small-sized fuses in the cabin and in the engine bay.

4. Took out a spark plug, placed it into the spring, boot, injector coil and placed the tip of the spark plug (which was not wet so no flooding in the cylinder) close to intake manifold while I tried to start the car. No sparks produced.

5. Replaced the cam sensor and the crankshaft position sensor with ones (hoping to get a spark.) Tried starting the MPV, still no go. I haven't checked for spark yet (need another person to try to start the car while I observe the spark plug.)

I forgot to mention in a prior message that I did notice two electric plugs that were not plugged in. One of them I plugged into here (circled in red), which is close to the backside of the driver's side headlight:

http://postimg.org/image/k0j8bo8z1/

The other I couldn't find the other end to. However, this open-ended plug appears to be tied so perhaps it's not used for anything? It's on the left front of the engine bay, close to where you fill motor oil. I've circled the dangling plug in red:

http://postimg.org/image/6kw7m80h9/

Does anyone know what either of these plugs are for?
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

The first pic looks like a fan connector. The second I don't believe connects to anything, but I would have to lift the hood of our MPV to verify that.

How old is your battery? Weakening batteries on the MPV have been known to lead to a "cranks but won't start" condition. You might try jump-starting the vehicle.

Also, is your check engine light on? If you have an OBD-II reader, have you checked for existing or pending codes?
samevo8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply! I think the fan connector (the one that I plugged back in) wasn't connected even before my injector coil/spark plug replacement.

The battery is a year old and I think it's still good. I've tried jump starting twice by two different donor batteries and no good.

CEL isn't on and can't get a connection using my ECU scan tool at the ODB-II port.

Interestingly, I found this other post where someone changed their injector coil boots. While Oildripper could initially start his car (with CEL turning on,) eventually he had the same symptoms as my car had immediately. That is, no CEL, no ODB-II link, and no ignition (engine turns over, which may be the futile "cranking" that I'm experiencing.)

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=26626&highlight=ecu

Oildripper found that a 30A fuse had blown and replaced it. I'm trying to identify which fuse that is.

Also, in another post with similar symptom of no ECU connection, scootchu also swapped a 30A fuse (the "Eng Inj" fuse). Perhaps that's the same 30A fuse Oildripper replaced?

Eventually scootchu tried disconnecting then reconnecting his PCM and everything worked again apparently. I may try that. PCM is in the glove compartment, right?

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=26716&highlight=ecu

scross wrote:
The first pic looks like a fan connector. The second I don't believe connects to anything, but I would have to lift the hood of our MPV to verify that.

How old is your battery? Weakening batteries on the MPV have been known to lead to a "cranks but won't start" condition. You might try jump-starting the vehicle.

Also, is your check engine light on? If you have an OBD-II reader, have you checked for existing or pending codes?
[/url]
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

AFAIK, the ECU is located somewhere in that general area (behind the glovebox), but I don't know for sure. Before you go tearing into it, though, if you haven't already done so then you might try disconnecting the battery for ten minutes, then reconnecting. This should reset the ECU and all the other associated electronics.
samevo8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

UPDATE: I pulled out the 30A fuse in the fuse block located in the engine compartment ("ENI INJ"), or fuse "20" in the owner's manual. Saw that the fuse was shorted. Swapped in the 30A fuse from the rear heater (fuse "5" in the same fuse box, per the owner's manual.)

After the swap in, the car starts up Very Happy and the ECU can now be read via the ODB-II port. Very Happy

Hopefully there's no live short in the wiring that will cause the fuse to blow again!

Sam
js27614

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

all brand name coils has the same tower order ?
static kills ?
DoubleApex

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Can someone point me to Bubba's images? I don't see the actual photo documentation everyone is referring to.
NemesisEnforcer

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

What happen to the pics?Can anyone please upload them again.This was a huge help the first time I used this guide.Thank you!
Hokie-Dave

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

NemesisEnforcer wrote:
What happen to the pics?Can anyone please upload them again.This was a huge help the first time I used this guide.Thank you!

Here is what I was able to find via the "Way Back Machine"..

http://web.archive.org/web/20091202203526/http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17565
JoeyBoots78

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Great tutorial! Just wondering if anyone thinks I should buy the intake manifold gasket prior to replacing these spark plugs? I have an '03 MPV I purchased used with 162k miles on it, and from doing the 1st 3 plugs, it doesn't look like they were ever changed. Would it be wise to assume the gasket will need to be replaced as well, or do you think these hold up well?
Hokie-Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Chances are the intake gasket is just fine. But...... As soon as you take it off and don't have one, the parts store will be closed and your van will be down until the next day. Better safe than sorry. Mine came off fine and I would have reused it if I didn't have a replacement ready to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: