MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002-
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Skoorbmax wrote:
04 with 68k. At 40k I got a CEL, felt nothing--cylinder 3 misfire (advance auto parts read it). I ignored it. 1.5 years later (a few months ago) noticed it again. I had driven in heavy rain the night before. Since that time, the light will sometimes come on after rain (checked once more--cylinder 3, still), but otherwise it may go for a couple of months without anything. It generally will run a touch rough, but after several miles dries out and appears fine.

I will replace all plugs, but is there any chance this is PCV related, per above? Given that it's rain, I am guessing coils. I had not come upon this thread until tonight but had assumed it was a coil issue.

Main Q 1: I am going to use OEM plugs. Do I still need to gap them? I know that with my other car, a Maxima, the OEM plugs are pre-gapped to exact spec and so they are a drop-in replacement. ALso that car doesn't require damn removal of the intake manifold, I mean wth !! Shocked

Main Q 2: Should I go with OEM coils or order online? I'm in ho huge hurry to get this done, so I can wait.

EDIT: Oh look http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/mic0208.html $28/piece coils. Are these real? They are about half the price as coils everywhere else.

Link is not working for me but then the internet at work here is running a lil slower.

I went with OEM for plugs and coils (only bought one for cylinder 6) and bought them from Jason @ www.onlinemazdaparts.com Coil was $50.73 and plugs were $2.26ea. I have the part #'s at home and will post them up later for future reference.

And if you do order them from Jason online the sprak plug part # will default to a part # with a price of $4.06. Put a note in the comments section to have the price adjusted for the correct part # and Jason will bill you accordingly.

The plugs I bought were gapped and ready to go but I would double check them to make sure the gap didn't change from the boxes being handled/shipped etc.

2004 Titanium Grey Metallic ES
-Silverstar turn signals in front + chrome turn signals in back = no more egg yolk effect
-JDM (ebay) rain visors
-Blue Batmobile custom vinyl overlays
-215/65/16 Kumho KW22's on 16x7 MB Seven X wheels for winter use

Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

iggyES wrote:
Skoorbmax wrote:
04 with 68k. At 40k I got a CEL, felt nothing--cylinder 3 misfire (advance auto parts read it). I ignored it. 1.5 years later (a few months ago) noticed it again. I had driven in heavy rain the night before. Since that time, the light will sometimes come on after rain (checked once more--cylinder 3, still), but otherwise it may go for a couple of months without anything. It generally will run a touch rough, but after several miles dries out and appears fine.

I will replace all plugs, but is there any chance this is PCV related, per above? Given that it's rain, I am guessing coils. I had not come upon this thread until tonight but had assumed it was a coil issue.

Main Q 1: I am going to use OEM plugs. Do I still need to gap them? I know that with my other car, a Maxima, the OEM plugs are pre-gapped to exact spec and so they are a drop-in replacement. ALso that car doesn't require damn removal of the intake manifold, I mean wth !! Shocked

Main Q 2: Should I go with OEM coils or order online? I'm in ho huge hurry to get this done, so I can wait.

EDIT: Oh look http://www.onlinewholesaleparts.com/mic0208.html $28/piece coils. Are these real? They are about half the price as coils everywhere else.

Link is not working for me but then the internet at work here is running a lil slower.

I went with OEM for plugs and coils (only bought one for cylinder 6) and bought them from Jason @ www.onlinemazdaparts.com Coil was $50.73 and plugs were $2.26ea. I have the part #'s at home and will post them up later for future reference.

And if you do order them from Jason online the sprak plug part # will default to a part # with a price of $4.06. Put a note in the comments section to have the price adjusted for the correct part # and Jason will bill you accordingly.

The plugs I bought were gapped and ready to go but I would double check them to make sure the gap didn't change from the boxes being handled/shipped etc.
Great--that is crazy-cheap for OEM plugs. Please do let me know once you get those figures Smile
iggyES
MPV n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Here are those part #'s. Just remember to make a note in the comments section at www.onlinemazdaparts.com so Jason can invoice you properly.

OEM SPARK PLUGS - ZZC218110A
OEM COILS - AJ5118100A

2004 Titanium Grey Metallic ES
-Silverstar turn signals in front + chrome turn signals in back = no more egg yolk effect
-JDM (ebay) rain visors
-Blue Batmobile custom vinyl overlays
-215/65/16 Kumho KW22's on 16x7 MB Seven X wheels for winter use

Mikey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

I have an 03 'PV with 175,000 km and I did the six plugs myself following Bubba's lead. It took about 4 hours and 3 beers. I didn't do the coils as I didn't have any problems with them and the dealer wanted $150 each for them! I just used the Motorcraft (OEM) plugs ($5 each) and they came pre-gapped from the Mazda dealer. The van was running perfectly before and after the "operation". I only did it because of the amount of mileage on the plugs.
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Thanks, iggy for the part numbers.

Mikey, that's good to get 110k miles out of the plugs Smile
kdk786

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to check the resistance on the coils. I have a 2003 MPV and I checked the front 3 spark plugs and they look fine. I have access to the coils and I wanted to know how i can tell if one of them has gone bad? I have a meter and all 3 coils are showing 5 omhs. Am I doing something wrong? What is the correct resistance of omhs for 03 mpv? Hopefully it is one of the front coils so that I can fix it quickly, if not then i will have to go all out!

thanks for your help
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

kdk786 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to check the resistance on the coils. I have a 2003 MPV and I checked the front 3 spark plugs and they look fine. I have access to the coils and I wanted to know how i can tell if one of them has gone bad? I have a meter and all 3 coils are showing 5 omhs. Am I doing something wrong? What is the correct resistance of omhs for 03 mpv? Hopefully it is one of the front coils so that I can fix it quickly, if not then i will have to go all out!

thanks for your help
I recall something about this on my other car that went bad and I'm not sure you can reliably determine the functionality of these unless they are completely shot and you can prove it. What may show up as ok will not necessarily mean it's ok in regular operating conditions. That is from my recollection, though...
TonyJ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

kdk786 wrote:

thanks for your help

Basically what you you see as resistance is GOOD, low impedance, means good coil, since all a coil is, just a piece of wire (per say). But here is the tricky/ catch part. IF the suspect coil, reads fine NOW, but when it heats up, it's expands, which could cause a interruption/ breakage in the coil. Which will lower the voltage being induced (created) inside the coil. When that happens, there may not be enough voltage to "fire" that spark plug correctly, hence the term "mis-fire".
Now for when the engine mis-fires after a rain or wet conditions. You basically may have water/ condesation get in/ on the coils which will do the same thing as I stated above. But the reason it happen this time, is b/c of the worn insulation/ covering of the coil. Due to expansion/ contraction of the insulation
I hope I didn't throw you off too much. I tried to state all of this in laman terms. Cool

Tsunami Blue 2005 ES w/ moonroof, PSD, and 17's; DVD system; Sirius Sat radio
2007 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition!
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Got my plugs and coil from the mazdaparts.com link above. What's the proper gap on these plugs--also, I saw some grease on the coil at the end. I presume I don't need a $.99 packet of spark plug boot grease from autozone, but since I'm going to be replacing the other plugs, it can't hurt can it?
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Does anybody know what spacing I should have these plugs at?
kdk786

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Before I begin, let me tell you that on a scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is an expert, I would rate my self a 6 on fixing cars.

Major thanks to BUBBA's walk through on coil replacement and also TURPO's How to change spark plugs walk through ( http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=16263&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=coil+change )

I finally opened up everything to check the back coils and PVC Hose. I am happy to say that the problem with my van jumping around was cause by the PVC Hose. It was the newer one they had put in after the recall. But the 90 degree angle rubber had a hole in it after 2 years. I am in Toronto, Canada so the Mazda dealer here wanted $110 plus tax for the replacement PVC hose. There is no way I am paying that much for a plastic and rubber hose. I ran around town and I finally put togeter a replacement PVC hose (Pics to follow in my next post).

So I replaced the spark plugs with NKG platinum plugs, and I replaced the PVC hose with the one I made and put everything back. Turned the van on and it was working. Took it for a drive and came to a stop sign and no jumping. Drove it around stop and go and I am happy to say no more jumping around problem Smile Runs a lot better!

Many thanks to all of you. There is no way I could have ever have even started to fix the van if it wasn't for this forum and the great people that are in it!!!

Cheers!!!
kdk786

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

One thing for the experts: everytime I press on the accelerator to start driving or to increase my speed I am feeling vibrations in my pedal. Before the whole PVC hose fix I had zero vibrations at all. I am a bit worried that I put together something wrong and it could result in more problems in the long run??? Any one experience something similar or have any advice on what might be causing this problem and how to fix it Huh???
Dan9

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

02 MPV
Had the P0306 code and did the front coil #6, fixed fine. I have an appointment to get the PCV recall done; I am thinking I'll do the 3 rear coils myself as the spark plugs are due. If(I guess they ARE) the rears are still good, well, I'll have some spares lying around Wink

An idea: for the later-model ones with coolant lines to the TB, how about using a small barb hose connector and carefully routing the 2 hoses together while doing the job. to save on a complete coolant drain and fill?

thanks this forum has some good info. As I figure out more on the van - only had it for a couple months - I hope to contribute more/

regards

D

2002 MPV LX 186k KMs all DIY all day long
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Woot, just replaced 6 plugs and #3 coil. I didn't bother replacing 1 and 2, hopefully that won't come back to bite me.

Entire job on a 2004 took me four hours. I didn't run into any particular problems, but these things take a while first shot. I'm sure I could do it in two next time, maybe less.

Per the fourth or so post on page 3 I did not remove the lower PCV hose. I also did not touch my coolant system at all or detach those connections to the bottom of the throttle body (TB). I was able to move the manifold out of the way enough to get to the coils.

Write up with pics was superb, thanks!

The job is not particularly difficult but it is a PITA, especially with the quick approach I used, because with the manifold not fully out of the way I did scrape up my forearms a lot Smile
mwtx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Walkthru on coil replacement for 2002- Reply with quote

Ok, here's my thoughts......just did a plug/coil replacement (all of them) on my 2004:

Bubba's writeup is great. No big surprises, but it does take time to get everything off.

Issues/notes from my work:

1) EGR was on TIGHT. Had to use some PB Blaster to get the bolts out. I had to use a 12mm wrench, versus a socket. I reinstalled it with a little anti-seize on the bolts.

2) Instead of removing the coolant hoses on the throttle body, I just unbolted the throttle body from the manifold. If I did this again, I'd make sure to have a new throttle body gasket, as the existing one got a little torn, but it still seals ok.

3) Buy a PCV hose. I wish I had in advance. All dealers were closed at the time of my repair, so I couldn't run out and get one. My existing PCV hose is still intact, but showing signs of cracking/collapsing. However, now that I know how it's routed, I can easily pull it off with the manifold on. Bubba shows a set of long nose Vise grips to remove the big clamp....that works great (I have that exact same set of Vise grips). You can leave the Vise grips clamped on the whole time.....just release when you reattach the PCV hose.

4) Be careful with the coil connectors!!! The back 3 are subjected to more heat and don't appear to take it too well. One of my 3 connectors broke a retaining tab when I reattached it to the new coil. I didn't force it or anything......the plastic was just dried out from the heat. I had to put a dab of high heat silicone on one edge of the connector, just to make sure it stays put on the coil. Ford/Mazda should have used better plastic on the connector.

Mike

Mike
Her's: '04 LX+ (sold, but not forgotten!). '04 Ford Thunderbird
Mine: '98 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, '08 Toyota Supercharged Trail Team FJ Cruiser
Kids: 08 Ford Focus, 99 Mercury Cougar, 98 Toyota Corolla
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next  
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: