MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Airbag
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ralphlawrence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Airbag Reply with quote

Does any one have any info on mazda's airbag deployment criteria? My wife got into an accident. She was rear ended so hard that she hit 3 cars in front of her and the air bag did not deploy. She was coming to a stop when this kid hit her as I said from behind at at 45 mph. Thanks.

back.jpg

back.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 919 time(s)

front.jpg

front.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 903 time(s)

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag Reply with quote

Ouch and sorry about your MPV.

Being that it was mainly a rear-end crash, no car would fire the air bags in a rear-end collision.

I think the combination of the car stopped and brake on would essentially tell the air bags there is no need to deploy either. They probably rely on the wheels moving somewhat and probably over 5 or 10 mph before allowing them to go. Since the MPV was stopped, the wheels probably skidded rather than rolled since the brakes were on.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag Reply with quote

Hope your dw and whoever else was in the van is ok. Looks like the 3rd row held up well.

Depends where the front end point of impact was aswell. It looks pretty destroyed so I think it would gone off. Few years back when dw's Golf hit a deer the impact point was above the bumper line but due to the weight of the deer it actually pushed the bumper down then broke/shattered it. Looking at it afterwards the front end looked bad but the bags didn't deploy.

Did you ask the insurance person if they have any background on what they think happened with the airbags?

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
ralphlawrence

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag Reply with quote

Yeah I asked and they said they didnt have any airbag experts. Its funny becasue it seems as if they have a lot of "ideal situations" before they bags will deploy. Thanks for your responses.
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Airbag Reply with quote

The airbag module contains an accellerometer. I don't know where it is on the MPV but it is under the front passenger seat on my Lumina. It deploys in a certin threshold of rate of deceleration. That threshhold is under the discretion of the manufacturer, although there are certain government requirements. Bear in mind that the better the front crush zone does its job, the less decelration Gs the airbag module(and the occupants) will see.
When the MPV hit the car in front, I'm sure it wasn't going fast enough to trigger the module. Airbags are for higher speed crashes. Airbags hurt you when they break your thumbs and nose, so they are undesireable in low speed crashes, where they can do you more harm than good, and where their use doesn't add very much protection to the other countermeasures in use, namely seatbelts, and the reduced possibility of injury in a low speed crash anyway.
In a high speed crash, you don't mind getting abrasion burns, broken thumbs noses and wrists, because it saved you from a broken neck or caved in skull or something severe like that.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
carrenhisner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Airbag Reply with quote

I just got hooked subwoofers in my car and had to remove the battery and wiring for my car and now I get a message that says SRS Airbag Service Emergency the boys told me that c That was because they had disconnected the battery and should disappear if I drive about 30 miles, I rode over 100 and is still there and the Volvo dealer wants 110.00 to fix the light. Is there any other way possible to get this view clear, since light is what it means if I am in an accident, the airbags will not deploy?
Gifts
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Safety Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: