MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

TSB- Engine Misfire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katrider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

we have a 2000 that is showing most of these symptoms, except at the moment it is not showing a CEL.

I have poured gallons of fuel injector cleaner down it's throat, and can say it has actually helped, but not cured, the problem. I have also cleaned the MAF a few months back with no joy, but since I have a large can of MAF sensor cleaner, I'll do it again.

The coil pack on my engine is a single unit and is relatively cheap, so I think the coil pack, plug wires, distributor cap and spark plugs are all going to get replaced first. At 108.000 miles...'why not?'

Then if that doesn't cure the curse, the fuel injectors are next!!

Listen...I've been working on my own cars since i was a teen ager with a cigarette pack rolled up in my tee shirt sleeve. Over the years (decades?) as cars got more complicated and computer bound, I started letting the local wrench do the hard stuff. But I priced out having the fuel pump replaced in this MPV, going to a reputable local non-dealer, and they quoted me $560 to do the job. Shocked

There's no telling what they would want for trouble shooting and fixing this problem. So I'm back to wrenching on my cars again, and I want to say that this forum and the information shared here is the only thing that is keeping me off of mass transit.

Thanks.
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I know you've already tried plenty of fuel injector cleaner, but don't forget stupid, simple stuff like moisture in the fuel tank, either. Maybe a $2 bottle of some dry-gas product might help here.

BTW, over the years I've had several misfire issues, usually related to either a dirty/defective coil or a vacuum leak; only once (so far) has it actually been traced back down to a fuel injector problem. BUT (and this is a bit weird, but maybe understandable given the sophistication of modern engine technology - and it has also been quite maddening) at various times I've had a misfire and been able to temporarily cure it by using a gas additive such as dry-gas, or a fuel injector cleaner, or premium gas, or even a different brand of gas altogether. I'm thinking that a lot of the misfire issues have been "right on the edge" conditions that the computer could mostly compensate for, and could completely compensate for when the composition of the fuel was just right. In fact, I've run into this issue so much that now I wish the there was a way of forcing the computer into "stupid mode" for trouble-shooting purposes, where it wouldn't try so hard to compensate for problems and therefore maybe make it easier for me to track down the actual source of the problem.
triman650

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I'm not alone with this problem, I gather. I have an'89 2.6 4cyl. and have the 'misfire' after it warms up and more noticeable upon going uphill, or 'under load' as they say. I am bringing it in to a good local mechanic very soon. Otherwise, it's fine and fun, but wish I had the four wheel drive version. Mine is first year MPV, I think, and has 80k on the clock. The check engine light came on at 80k (as programmed) but I had the Mazda dealer shut it off. I'm not impressed with the Mazda dealers.
I love my 1989 Mazda MPV. It needs some work, but is a cool vehicle. Wish it were the 4WD model. I want to restore this one.
genny1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Hi all - We have a 2001 MPV with about 150,000 miles. Check engine light flashing, took it to mechanic, says one cylinder misfiring. Changed spark plug - not the problem. Says needs to do more digging to figure out if it is fuel injection problem or valve problem. He is going to do the digging on Monday.

He also said fuel is not getting to the cylinder (I think that's how he phrased it), and could drive "underpowered" like it currently is w/o fixing if wanted to (assuming the fuel injector is the issue).

Understanding would be underpowered and fuel economy may suffer, etc., would it really be OK to drive it like it is assuming fuel injection problem is causing one cylinder to misfire? Honestly, I don't mind the underpowered bit, and not sure about putting much money into this vehicle at this point.

Thanks for any advice!!
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Try putting a bottle of Techron or some Seafoam (read the instructions) in the gas tank and giving it some time to work. If it really is a fuel injector issue then this might help clear it up. Seafoam can be used to clean valves, too, but that is a little more involved process.

As far as too little fuel goes, beyond a loss of power this normally isn't a big deal. Too MUCH fuel, on the other hand (as would occur if there was no spark to that cylinder) could easily lead to overheating in the catalytic converters and eventually to internal melting there.

Did you know which cylinder is misfiring? Given its location at the end of the fuel rail, cylinder number 4 appears to be the one most prone to fuel injector problems.
genny1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Thank you scross!! He did mention a cylinder number, but I can't remember which one. What you said about the difference between getting no fuel and getting fuel is what he mentioned when talking about it being safe to drive - he said because the cylinder was not getting any fuel, not unsafe to drive, just underpowered. Glad that seems to make sense. Thanks for the tip on cleaners - will try that first. And thanks for taking time to respond - much appreciated!!
MPV01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I have a 2001 MPV and solved my misfire.

I have about 115000 miles currently and did a tune up with duralast wires and autolite platinum plugs when the van hit 100K miles. About 2 weeks ago, I was at a stop, the van shook and I could sense something was wrong. Felt like the engine skipped. Drove for a minute and check engine light starts flashing. Van drove fine and for about 5 minutes I got a soild check engine light. Drove the car home and hooked up my OBD scanner. P0304. Misfire cylinder 4. I dumped a bottle of gumout fuel injector cleaner and cleared the code. Ran fine for about 2 weeks. One day same symptoms happen, stumble, hesitation at idle. Highway speed you can feel the engine was sluggish but would go 60 to 70 mph but as soon as you let of the gas it would stumble. I scanned it again and got a P0303. Misfire cylinder 3. Replaced the No. 3 sparkplug with a brand new NGK platinum one. No change. I installed my original spark plug wire for #3 and still no change. Could it be the injector? Reading the forum and I start looking at the PCV valve. No oil residue or collapsed elbow. Removed the MAF and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. No change. Inspected the intake hose and vacuum line but they look ok. I noticed as I hit the accelerator a popcorn "pop" noise could be heard from the air box, so I suspect the IAC. I disconnected it and cleaned it with carb cleaner. It was not too dirty. Reinstalled. No change. So, thinking about the P0304 I got 2 weeks ago and now a P0303, the coil pack must be going bad. Went to autozone and bought their duralast coil pack with lifetime warranty. Replaced and started the van and I immediately noticed no more shaking. Test drove it out on the highway and it ran smooth. No stumbles and idles fine. I did not clear the check engine light yet to monitor if it will go away on its own when I drive it a couple more cycles.
SVTMPV

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

MPV01 wrote:

I have about 115000 miles currently and did a tune up with duralast wires and autolite platinum plugs when the van hit 100K miles. About 2 weeks ago, I was at a stop, the van shook and I could sense something was wrong. Felt like the engine skipped. Drove for a minute and check engine light starts flashing. Van drove fine and for about 5 minutes I got a soild check engine light. Drove the car home and hooked up my OBD scanner. P0304. Misfire cylinder 4. I dumped a bottle of gumout fuel injector cleaner and cleared the code. Ran fine for about 2 weeks. One day same symptoms happen, stumble, hesitation at idle. Highway speed you can feel the engine was sluggish but would go 60 to 70 mph but as soon as you let of the gas it would stumble. I scanned it again and got a P0303. Misfire cylinder 3. Replaced the No. 3 sparkplug with a brand new NGK platinum one. No change. I installed my original spark plug wire for #3 and still no change. Could it be the injector? Reading the forum and I start looking at the PCV valve. No oil residue or collapsed elbow. Removed the MAF and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. No change. Inspected the intake hose and vacuum line but they look ok. I noticed as I hit the accelerator a popcorn "pop" noise could be heard from the air box, so I suspect the IAC. I disconnected it and cleaned it with carb cleaner. It was not too dirty. Reinstalled. No change. So, thinking about the P0304 I got 2 weeks ago and now a P0303, the coil pack must be going bad. Went to autozone and bought their duralast coil pack with lifetime warranty. Replaced and started the van and I immediately noticed no more shaking. Test drove it out on the highway and it ran smooth. No stumbles and idles fine. I did not clear the check engine light yet to monitor if it will go away on its own when I drive it a couple more cycles.

Posts like this are priceless, thanks!!

2001 Sunlight Silver DX, 113K miles
JVC head unit + BT
RS*R adj. Panhard rod
Sound Ordnance 8" sub
OEM matching voltmeter
SVT UIM + WeaponR SRI
OEM Spoiler + Vent Visors
King Springs + KYB ExcelG
LED HI/LO Headlights + Fogs
25mm Wheel Spacers + MS3 wheels
All interior LEDs + Turn Signals/Reverse
MPV01

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Thanks SVTMPV.

Update: It was the coil pack. The CEL cleared on its own after a few driving cycles. When replacing the coil pack don't forget to connect the small ground wire.
SVTMPV

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

MPV01 wrote:
Update: It was the coil pack. The CEL cleared on its own after a few driving cycles. When replacing the coil pack don't forget to connect the small ground wire.

Great advice. Smart getting the lifetime warranty one for only $5 more.

2001 Sunlight Silver DX, 113K miles
JVC head unit + BT
RS*R adj. Panhard rod
Sound Ordnance 8" sub
OEM matching voltmeter
SVT UIM + WeaponR SRI
OEM Spoiler + Vent Visors
King Springs + KYB ExcelG
LED HI/LO Headlights + Fogs
25mm Wheel Spacers + MS3 wheels
All interior LEDs + Turn Signals/Reverse
BigDawg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for aftermarket coils, I just bought a couple of these Standard brand ones off Amazon for only $18.49ea. and, they're made in the US and come with a full 3 year replacement warranty:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NKYJ9G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
Dan-jan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Wow. Great price on coils from BigDawg ($18.40)! I'm on a road trip, and picked up a CEL for missfire cyl #1. I decided to replace 1-3 coils, as, believe it or not, I've never done that. Got the van used with 110,000 on it, and now it's got over 220,000 miles. I figured the original owner did the coils, but maybe not.

Anyway, my back coils were all code AA. I couldn't get #2 off, because the mount screw turns and won't come out. I think it's spinning the brass insert in the plastic valve cover. Snap!

Changed cyls #1 and #3, with new spark plugs. I had to go to 3 auto parts places in my search for 3 coils. Napa had one for $48 (made in USA). O'Reilly had one for $69 (made in China), and Advance had one for $69 (made in USA). AutoZone has them for $69 too. Had to pick up a cheap tool set at Harbor Freight to do the job in a relative's garage. Gonna return the stinking O'Reilly one since i was only able to install two, and get another one from Amazon when I get time to do #2 plus remove and replace/fix the valve cover.

That should get me back home. The big bummer was I dropped the EGR gasket and totally lost it. Couldn't find the bugger to save my life. Tightened up the EGR without it, and will need to find one at a dealership somewhere on my way home.

2003 MPV LX - 235k miles
1951 Willys CJ3A
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

MPV01 wrote:

I have replaced my coil (single coil) 2000 in exactly the same scenario twice.

Why twice?

I did not buy new, i bought used from a junkyard.

Just to confirm that this diagnosis is right on the mark
mpvinnig
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

MPV01 wrote:
Thanks SVTMPV.

Aren't there two ground wires?
puggs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

So I have been getting what I can only describe as jolting feeling and a popping sound. No codes are thrown so no CEL. I did a lot of reading on this forum and its all great information.

Can someone take a look at this video and let me know if it sounds like a misfire or something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8p22NuCB4U

You can hear it better starting at the 18 second mark.

I did a test on the front 3. Van is idle and I pull the wire connection to each coil one at a time and listen to the RPMs. The RPMs dipped on all 3 on the front so I am going to assume its going to be one of the back 3.

Many thanks.

Phillip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next  
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: