MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

TSB- Engine Misfire
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newsboy9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Hi, I just registered because my 2002 MPV is having this problem. I hooked it up to a friends computer and it says it's misfiring on #5 and #6.

So, can I go ahead and just replace two coils in the front or all three in the front? I really don't have the time to replace the back 3 especially if this will fix it.

Also, if I replace only the front two or three should I replace the spark plugs at that same time or could that cause a problem if they're not the same as the other plugs?

Last question, for now. Would these generic coils work? They're about half the price and we're really tight on money right now. A year or two from now I'll probably go ahead and replace all six.

Thanks for the help guys.

Newsboy
deckeda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

enisad wrote:
So Far i have saved 3 of my friends money from just using the $4 Gunk Wire Dryer spray.

AB/AC does not make a difference as the design of the shaft verses the boot is poorly done and eventually water gets in.

The spray simply coats the spark plug, the coiled wire and electrical wire so when the water gets in, it does not physically come in contact with the ignition system.

Shame on Mazda and Fords for the poor design but we have found a solution.

First I've read of this, and it sounds as if a visual inspection might reveal if water could get in. Yes?

I'd like to know more about the nature of the problem. "Bad coil" implies an electrical fault inside it, and something one can't see. But the occurrences of symptoms happening in wet weather lends credence to what enisad says here.

So why is everyone else replacing expensive coils instead of spraying the spark plug an underside of the coils with water repellant/sealer?

Does it develop into a Catch-22 situation unless you spray right away? Steam or water makes fouled plug which creates genuinely damaged (unfixable) coil?

UPDATE: I've since found enisad's thread that explained all this better. It's here: http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=23981 and should be a Sticky in my opinion — it seems to be at least as plausible an answer as the others related to this misfiring symptom.
davey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

When my coils went out, the wire, plug and boots showed no signs of arching or burning issues. My first course of action was to replace all the boots and wires which didn't fix my misfire. For those that had a misfire with visible boot/wire issues, it may fix the problem if it was caught in time before the coil dies. I think steam is the deadly killer here. Maybe the dryer can prevent steam from killing coils, not sure. The problem is there's no way to test these coils unless you take it to Mazda. If there were, I'd be curious to see which ones of my old coils I pulled off are still good since I ended up pulling them all.
deckeda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

davey wrote:
… The problem is there's no way to test these coils unless you take it to Mazda. ...

I was under the impression that their testing identified which coil(s) were bad but that it was an indirect diagnosis based on a driving test with special equipment hooked up. I realize this is probably what you're referring to.

What should be available, IMO, is a simple ohmmeter test with the coil off the car. If anyone knows why such a test would be inconclusive please speak up.

I've got some old coils and 3 that have less than 100 miles on them. One or more of the old 3 clearly don't perform as well as the new ones. If I get a chance here soon I might see how they compare with the ohmmeter.
HandyFireMedic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Newsboy9 wrote:
Hi, I just registered because my 2002 MPV is having this problem. I hooked it up to a friends computer and it says it's misfiring on #5 and #6.

So, can I go ahead and just replace two coils in the front or all three in the front? I really don't have the time to replace the back 3 especially if this will fix it.

Also, if I replace only the front two or three should I replace the spark plugs at that same time or could that cause a problem if they're not the same as the other plugs?

Last question, for now. Would these generic coils work? They're about half the price and we're really tight on money right now. A year or two from now I'll probably go ahead and replace all six.

Thanks for the help guys.

Newsboy

Im having a similar problem. My neighbor (a certified mechanic) has been helping me. We have concluded it's a design flaw in the placement of the cat on the rear manifold. No air flow causes it to overheat and fail. This causes a back pressure on the system and coils start failing. It just gets worse. So far I have relieved most of the problem by dropping the exhuast pipe from the cat and GUTTING THE THING. I 12" cold chisel works nicely. I think I still have some coil issues but 95% of the jerking is gone and the sluggish acceleration off the line has been resolved. I intend to attempt emissions as is after replacing the coils. If it still fails I'm going to see if piggybacking the wires from the rear sensors to the front will fool the computer.

Any input?
ponderosaTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Rock Auto now has "Standard" brand coils for $31.79. See

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,carcode,1433052,parttype,7060,d,2005_MAZDA_6_S_3.0L_2968cc_V6_FI_DOHC_Ignition_Coil.html

I'm not convinced by the excessive-heat-from-cat hypothesis regarding misfires (at least on 2002-2003 models similar to my own). Perhaps it occurs in a few vehicles. But the only misfires I have experienced are due to moisture in the coil boots, which CRC Wire Dryer (or dielectric grease) and/or replacing the coil boot (with spring) seems to address. I have 107K miles on my 2003 MPV yet I am still running all of my original coils. I temporarily replaced the #4 coil with a new coil on a long trip because I had neither Wire Dryer nor a replacement boot with me at the tim[e]. But when I returned home, I subsequently reinstalled the original coil with a replacement boot, which is functioning without incident.

Edit: fixed the typo in tim[e].

I agree with the posters who have focused on the condition of the plug boots and springs and ensuring that they are moisture resistant. Of course, I still have three new coils in reserve to install if I get a misfire on Bank 1 and have to remove the intake manifold to fix it. (Both of the misfires I have experienced have been on Bank 2 up front where it is trivial to access the plugs and coils.)
GuamMPV

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I am having the same problems with no CEL. I have cleaned the MAF and seems to help a bit the problem is still there. I had the 3 coils and sprkplugs which are under the manifold replaced a months back. I have recently replaced the sprk plugs on the #4,5,6 cylinders but the hessitation is still there. I will check the PCV.
GuamMPV

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I forgot I also replaced 3 coil packs those are the 3 which is under the intake manifold
Mikey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

So here's my story...
First, I have an 03 MPV with 297,000 km on it and have never had a hiccup with the engine hesitation. Last Saturday, I spent 1 1/2 hours driving in the heaviest rain I have ever seen. There were actually bridges washed out in the county! Right near my destination, I get a bit of hesitation and withing 10 minutes, the van is a bucking bronco and the CEL comes on...right on queu.
So I limp home and the van sits for 2 days (still in the rain) while I do other things. Finally the rain stops I run the engine and it's still misfiring like a wino at a gun show. Hooking up my OBD, I get codes P0301, P0304, & P0306. Stupidly, I disconnect the battery to clear the codes. So I take it for a long run to see if I can get the CEL to come on again and no luck, even though she's running like a horse at the rodeo. I get home and it's running a bit better. I do the old "pull the connectors" trick on the front coils and sure enough, #6 makes no difference. So I swap out #6 with a spare coil I happened to have and "voila" no more hesitation and she's purring like a kitten. I look at the top of the removed coil and see a long crack along the top.
So here's my theory...The heavy rain soaked the engine bay and my marginal coils started going bonkers. After I managed to get the engine hot after the rain stopped, coils #1 & 4 dried out and I replaced #6 by chance and noticed the big crack on the top. So, I'm back on the road trying to hit the 300,000 km mark!
Anybody else have hesitation problems in the rain?
That's my story...and I'm sticking to it!! Razz
Wgarber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I have a 2001MPV with similar problems. It hesitates on acceleration and idle. Do you believe that it is a miss fire issue. If so how would I locate the bad cylinder and replace the coil.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

the '00 and '01 use a coilpack, which operates all 6 cylinders. Replacement is much easier, since you just replace the whole coilpack module. Probably would replace the wires at the same time too especially if they are original.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

So far, every single misfire issue that we've had with our MPV has also shown up at idle - even if it was just barely noticeable. So open the hood, let the engine warm up, and then just let it sit there idling for several minutes (with the AC off) to see if you hear a miss on occasion. These may be individual misses or they may come in short bursts. Don't be surprised if it runs fine for a few minutes, then misses a few times, then goes back to normal for a while, because that's happened to me several times now.

If it is a misfire, then the computer should either call that out (P0300, or P030x for a specific cylinder) or the main cause of it shortly (P0171 or P0174 would be typical for a vacuum leak, for example). But the problem may have to grow considerably worse before that happens. In the meantime, cleaning your MAF/MAS and using a good fuel injector cleaner may clear the problem right up.
NemesisEnforcer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Hey guys I believe my 2005 MPV is running thru some misfires too.Seeking some help or at least suggestions before I take it to the Mazda dealer.Should I try replacing spark plugs and,adding a good fuel injector?Thanks!
scross
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Definitely the first thing to do is clean the MAF and fuel injectors; both are cheap and easy to do.
NemesisEnforcer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

scross wrote:
Definitely the first thing to do is clean the MAF and fuel injectors; both are cheap and easy to do.

Thanks for the quick reply,will try that hopefully that will be the end of it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next  
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: