MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

TSB- Engine Misfire
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimMPV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

It appears that my MPV may need this "Engine Misfire Detection Procedure 01-023/05". TSBs are covered by the dealer, even though the main warranty has expired, correct? I had a shop try to figure it out, and they said it was not the coils or plugs, and there is no CEL, or past code to show a history of the problem. The dealer said there are no other recalls that apply to my MPV, but he did not bring up this TSB. I am sure they do not want to do any more than absolutely necessary!
2002 MPV LX, Sage Green (DVD Player, Luxury Package, 4-Seasons Package, Rear A/C, Compass/Outside Temp. Gauge, Roof Rack, Fog Lights, 6-CD Changer, Stainless Exhaust Pipe, Mud Guards)

1998 Toyota Corolla LE (5-Speed, 40 MPG!)
JimMPV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Does anyone know what exactly is covered by a TSB when the MPV is out of the warranty period?
2002 MPV LX, Sage Green (DVD Player, Luxury Package, 4-Seasons Package, Rear A/C, Compass/Outside Temp. Gauge, Roof Rack, Fog Lights, 6-CD Changer, Stainless Exhaust Pipe, Mud Guards)

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

JimMPV wrote:
Does anyone know what exactly is covered by a TSB when the MPV is out of the warranty period?

My understanding is if it is a recall, it must be done no matter how old, if it is a TSB, then it is merely a notice informing their technicians/mechanics on how to deal with a particular problem. Not anything to do with warranty. If a particular problem manifests within the warranty period (this is an important one that you can argue on if there is some record of a problem experienced within this period and recorded as a complaint on their records) then they need to fix the specific problem, usually there is a TSB from most of the issues that manifest for a particular vehicle, but by no means do they have to do them if they manifest outside of warranty.

This is my understanding from reading on this forum and my own personal experience over here in Australia with TSB's. The local australian car manufacturers refuse to acknowledge the existence of tsb's Rolling Eyes

if anyone has other insights please include on this one as I am speaking from an Australian perspective.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

That's correct. A TSB is not a guarantee of warranty coverage.

If you MPV doesn't have a CEL, then what is it doing that you think it needs the attention that the TSB states?

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
JimMPV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

It idles rough in gear. When it is in park or neutral, it idles fine. When driving it is jerky. A non-Mazda shop could not figure it out. They thought the coils and plugs were OK. I am hoping that this will fix it. I tried unplugging the battery and resetting the transmission. There is no CEL. The MPV has 24,000 miles! It is hard to believe there is anything wrong with so few miles.

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

Normally an engine misfire will trigger the CEL and make it flash as the misfire happens.

Running rough could be a number of things, clogged injector(s), bad gas, loose vacuum, and even a bad coil or plug. If your dealer isn't up to the challenge of figuring it out, then you need to find another shop. Calling MazdaUSA may help, but it just may be easier to go to another shop nearby.

FWIW, if it is the coils, it's usually 1 or more of the rear bank of cylinders affected.

-Brian

lixhanlumani

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I don't know what happened everything was going fine. I always fill the gas tank full when it reaches half. Anyway I have a 2004 LX and yesterday the CEL came on. I didn't think anything of it until I started and it felt like someone was shaking the car. I went to the local auto parts store to get it scanned and the code was P0306 - Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected. The guys at the store recommended a new sparkplug and wire for the #6 cylinder and I want to try it myself but think I will do more harm than good if I did it myself. Someone offer me some suggestions please.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I'd go with a new coil for the #6 plug, as well as a new spark plug if it's fouled up. The rear bank of cylinders is a bit of a challenge, and it does require removal of the intake to make things easier.

Your '04 may be under warranty still as well. You should try the dealer first and see if they'll replace it.

-Brian

JimMPV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

When driving in 4th gear and coasting, and the gas is pressed, the van jerks a lot. It may be worse on hills. Could it be the fuel pump or filter? Anyone have experience with either? I don't hear anything in the back, where the pump would be making noises though.

subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

The jerking is a misfire, which *should* trigger the CEL blinking but it isn't in your case. Bad gas or a dirty fuel filter could be plausible causes. A fuel pump is likely not the cause here.

If it would throw a CEL, then it would help figure out where to start. I'd lean to it being a coil still.

-Brian

JimMPV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

The jerkiness seemed to only happen when in any gear, but now it sometimes appears when in Park or Neutral, FWIW.

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

JimMPV wrote:
The jerkiness seemed to only happen when in any gear, but now it sometimes appears when in Park or Neutral, FWIW.

So by jerkiness when the car is in Neutral or Park, do you mean the engine itself stutters??

The coils have certainly been a weak link in the 3.0l MPV's (earlier models). It would be easy enough to test them to ensure everything is as it should be. Also checking the part number on them could be a good idea as well.

I am sure you could find a mechanic that has experience with the 3.0l duratec engine with the coil on plug system to check it. Any ford/mercury/lincoln dealer would have lots of experience with these coil packs and would be able to diagnose if there is a problem, if you are having difficulty finding a mechanic who knows how to correctly diagnose.

From memory this is a common part with the ford, I think it is motorcraft part number dg485, might be wrong here, but someone in NA could check this and confirm.

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
JimMPV

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

I will have the dealer check the coils, as well as replace the PCV hose under recall #2204H. I was not notified of this by the dealer or Mazda. This could be the problem! The dealer just told me that there were no other recalls for my MPV, only the TSB for the "Engine Misfire Detection Procedure, 01-023/05". I am losing confidence in Mazda and the dealer!

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

JimMPV wrote:
I will have the dealer check the coils, as well as replace the PCV hose under recall #2204H. I was not notified of this by the dealer or Mazda. This could be the problem! The dealer just told me that there were no other recalls for my MPV, only the TSB for the "Engine Misfire Detection Procedure, 01-023/05". I am losing confidence in Mazda and the dealer!

One of the great facilities is being able to put your VIN number into the query in the recall section and the system will return any relevant issues applicable for you vehicle.

I just wish this was available over here in Australia, would make things so easy, even got told today when I phoned up the local Mazda dealer for a thermostat that they do not tell customers the part number of a particular part...what Rolling Eyes , I am so sick of the Australian way of dealing with customers. We are treated worse than mushrooms, at least they get fed what they need as a customer. I cannot even confirm that they are giving me a correct part?Huh?

I have to say that the Australian Automotive industry has shameful and secretive actions that are anti customer and do nothing for the confidence of a consumer.

Anyway enough ranting from me in this dreadful backwater that would not know how to treat an automotive customer if it tried.

If you have the pcv leak, there would certainly be an impact on your vehicle as there would be unmetered air while driving, as far as problems when idling unless it is downstream in the intake system from the IAC then it would not impact I would not think. (Happy to be corrected on that one as I have a picture of the 2.5l in my mind whereas you have the 3.0l which could be different in operation)

anyway, I hope you get some resolution on this issue and that the Dealer provides an outcome that is satisfactory.

JimMPV

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: TSB- Engine Misfire Reply with quote

The saga continues. After dropping the van off at the dealer, the checked the front coils and suspected the rears. I agreed to the roughly 3 hours to check them. The first said they were ok and that they would look into everything else. Later they said the coils were bad and that the total would be 6 hours labor!!! I yelled at them and they were generous enough to reduce it to 4.9 total (3.6 for coils and 1.3 diagnostic). He said the 3.6 hours was right from the Chilton's book. Is this true? Shouldn't Mazda have a recall on these coils, if nearly everyone is having problems with the older design??? It is ridiculous! I don't know if I will ever buy a Mazda again after this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: