MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyw47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to change the automatic transmission fluid in a 2006? I have 30k miles and I'd like to switch over to synthetic instead of having the dealership do the flush procedure. Thank you.
2006 MPV
1997 Buick Regal GS
1972 Triumph TR6
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

There is several posts on how to change trans. fluid. Look in the DIY forum, do a search... or wait for somebody to link it.
2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Super easy.

Take a billion bolts out of the pan and drop the pan. Unscrew the filter and screw new one in. Clean off gasket with scrapper and install new one. Put pan back up and tighten bolts.
Put in 4 1/2qts of new fluid. DONT NOT START THE VAN!!!!!
Find the hose that goes from the cooler to the tranny and pull the end off from the tranny. Hold the hose in a gallon milkcarten. Have a help start the van and keep it in park. The fluid will out come out and fill half the carton up. Shut the van off and pour 2qts in the dipstick. Repeat this but everytime go into a different gear and do this until all the fluid comes clean. Enjoy.

-Clayton
Fav. Quote- When in doubt floor it!!! Smile

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
1997 Ford F-150 (211,856mi), Tan, LTX: 10W-30 PP
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
Super easy.

Take a billion bolts out of the pan and drop the pan. Unscrew the filter and screw new one in. Clean off gasket with scrapper and install new one. Put pan back up and tighten bolts.
Find the hose that goes from the cooler to the tranny and pull the end off from the tranny. Hold the hose in a gallon milkcarten. Have a help start the van and keep it in park. The fluid will out come out and fill half the carton up. Shut the van off and pour 2qts in the dipstick. Repeat this but everytime go into a different gear and do this until all the fluid comes clean. Enjoy.

Although this is possibly accutate...... Please dont attempt this proceedure... Laughing

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Jipster wrote:
There is several posts on how to change trans. fluid. Look in the DIY forum, do a search... or wait for somebody to link it.

Follow this advice. It's not hard, depending on which method you try from those of use that have done it.

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

2003MPV-LX wrote:
Bmwlover540i wrote:
Super easy.

Although this is possibly accutate...... Please dont attempt this proceedure... Laughing

Y would you say that. I just did this on my truck!

-Clayton

2000 Mazda MPV (129,994mi), Red LX: Cold air intake, 0W-30 German Castrol Oil, Redline Waterwetter, Silverstar headlights, Interstate Mega-ton Plus with 1000CA!!!
2001 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport Plus (78,087mi), Red, DS: SilverStars, 0w-30 German Castrol Oil
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Bmwlover540i wrote:
2003MPV-LX wrote:
Bmwlover540i wrote:
Super easy.

Cause all it takes is to loose one of those billion bolts....... Embarassed

But I with it had a pan or a better drain bolt.

Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

2003MPV-LX wrote:
Bmwlover540i wrote:
2003MPV-LX wrote:
Bmwlover540i wrote:
Super easy.

Cause all it takes is to loose one of those billion bolts....... Embarassed

But I with it had a pan or a better drain bolt.

OK let me fix it--
Also you will need a paper bowl to put the billion bolts in so you wont loose them.

-Clayton

Mean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Automatic transmission fluid needs to be flushed. Draining only gets about 2/3s of the fluid. And since the change frequency is relatively long, there is probably quite a bit of varnish build-up in there. Draining does not cut it.

Buy the fluid you want out in there and have it flushed.

G
Bmwlover540i
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

What, what are you taking about?Huh?Huh?? Hello read my post again. The tranny pan changes half the fluid then you get the other half out of the tc, diff , and insdie tranny via the tranny cooler hose. This is the same as getting it flushed by a shop yet you save like $200.
-Clayton

Mean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

And all of the varnish and other buildup stay behind. We are talking 30K miles here. Transmission fluid is not like motor oil which contains chemical additives to prevent such buildup and gets change every few months and at much fewer miles. I have researched this myself and spoke to several automotive engineers in the industry. Draining is OK in a pinch but you can't match flushing for getting the job done. Now if you have over 100K miles on your tranny fluid, flushing can be deadly but that's a different question.

G
Jipster
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

I got my trans flushed at the dealershp a few months ago for around $130. They were running a special on it. Probably get it done at Firestone for around $99... a Quickie Lube for around $79.

I flushed at 22k as the trans fluid started to look dirty... light brownish/pink.

2004 MPV LX (Plus Pkg, Traction and Airbag Pkg, All Sport Pkg, Roof Rack, 108k miles) Cosmic Sand
1999 Buick Regal LS (Leather Pkg, auto climate control,alloys, 124,000 miles) Desert Sand
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Now this is an interesting discussion. Sort of reminds me of my experiences with the DIY radiator flush, versus taking it somewhere.

That is another story though.......

I had mine flushed for 150aud$ last year, suggested timing is 50000km in our owners manual in Australia. I seem to remember that it was 30,000miles so that seems to equate nicely to ours Smile

My question is simple if you are worried about the buildup, is there not a product that can be put in the transmission fluid that will assist with the drainage???

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
Mean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

My memory was not perfect on every detail. But instead of repeating myself, I will paste in a detailed note from one of the Automotive Engineers/Mechanics I consulted on the subject. Note how it is not necessary to change the filter.

"There are major differences between engines and transmissions. By engine design and the assistance of gravity 85-95% of engine oil is removed by draining. Also, engine oil changes occur more frequently, and if preformed at the proper maintenance interval, the additives in the oil should keep varnish and sludge in check.

The majority of the auto manufacturers requires that a transmission flush is performed to maintain the warranty on new vehicles. There are several reasons.

1. Prior to the fluid exchange with the transmission flush, a emulsifier additive is poured down the fill tube and the engine is allow to run for 20-30 minutes. This removes the varnish on the transmission walls, torque converter hydraulic circuits, filter, etceteras, and places the varnish in suspension so that it can easily be removed during the fluid exchange process. The filter is also cleaned during this process. A filter that is 50% restricted due to particle buildup is cleaned to where it is only 5% restricted. All of the organic particles are removed, The only particles that remain on the filter are the insolutable particles such as metal. The filter with a transmission flush does not normally require replacing. If the filter is still clogged after the transmission flush you have other serious problems that are going on in your transmission.

2. A drain and fill with a filter change does not have the same benefit. All transmission fluids have additives that clean the varnish. The problem with the drain and fill is that the varnish is cleaned post filter change. Normally, the varnish comes off in large flakes and clogs the filter which, can starve the transmission pump of fluid and creating other problems (slipping, poor shifting, overheating, etceteras).

3. With the drain and fill only 2/3 of the fluid is removed. 1/3 of the old oil remains in the torque converter and hydraulic circuits. A transmission flush the exchange is done under pressure which, pumps in the new fluid and forces out the old. 98% of the old fluid is removed by this method.

4. Post fluid exchange with a transmission flush, another additive is supplied to the transmission. This additive is for the o-rings, seals and the hydraulic circuit components. The additive allows the o-rings and seals to retain its elastomers which keeps them pliable and thereby maintaining a good seal. The additive also has compounds that lubricate the components in the hydraulic circuit so that the transmission shifts smoother and prevents slipping.

If a transmission has been on the proper maintenance cycle and the fluid was changed at the proper intervals then there are no problem performing the transmission flush or drain and fill. If the fluid has never been changed and the vehicle has over 120K miles it is not recommended to do anything because either one could possible cause the transmission to have problems. As the transmission ages the varnish and oxidize oil fill in scratches, plugs leaks in seals, etceteras. If the varnish and oxidize oil is removed to quickly it could cause catastrophic failure. You also have o-ring brittlement and seal degradation to contend.

Long story made short, transmission flushes are better that drain and fill with filter change."
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do you change the transmission fluid in a 2006 MPV? Reply with quote

Good points. But, Mazda doesn't specify a fluid change interval for the tranny on the MPV. Most owners know to do something every 30k miles, and a drain and fill is better than leaving the old fluid in there. Plus, many Mazda dealers don't have the power flush systems. Most MPV owners who are under warranty are going to go to the dealer for services, so a drain and fill would be what they get.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: