MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

KIA rondo is now out.
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
au-dy-z
Matsuda- zoom zoom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

the all new kia rondo, a competitor of mazda5 is now out. one thing i have to say is, it ugly. the mz5 is way better look and looks bigger. i saw the comercial, i like it but not the car.

http://www.kia.com/rondo/index.php

wow, kia really study the competition, its has a 182 hp 2.7L v6 that has a mile of 20/27. and a 162hp 2.4L i4 21/29. it has more horses and better mileage, make me want to go over there and destroy it Twisted Evil.

man, this makes me jealous, i dont want the car but i want its feature. this car also get a nicer soundsystem on ex, compare to touring, an infinity 315 watt 10 speaker sound system.

compare to mazda, i think its more bad word removed to buy the kia rondo, you lose feature you gain on the mazda for the same price, like the steering wheel audio control is an option not standard, the 17 in rim is only on ex. thrid row is not a standard feature. but you do get a standard tpms system on the lx.

^
^
マツダ ご
ma-tsu-da go
that means MAZDA FIVE in japanese.

i took japanese this summer, so fun, cant wait till next summer when i have
au-dy-z
Matsuda- zoom zoom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

i looked more into it, it looks like they copied mzda 5 design just like the sedona, copy cats. the dash look similar to the mz5 like where the a/c is and the three or four button below the control that mazda has on most of there model. http://www.kia.com/rondo/rondo-views.php

also the under seat storage they copied, is small, you can fit anything under that thing but paper. lol, but you can put paper anywhere in te car. one time i left paper in under the hood of the mz5. Confused

they also did something similar to the rear of the third row seat with a well like mz5, even if most car model has it, kia make it look like a mazda5 wannabe.

the things like likf of this car, more hp in 2.4 and 2.7 engine, they conserve a lot of space, mazda, i open the door panel and see so much room to put a stoage compartment. the armrest can be one like sienna, in the dash like japan mazda premacy, in the well of the third row, on the side, there are more room in it. third row armresst has some room in the panel. and etc. mazda may have cool storage place, but it need more stoage still like i have stated before.

^
^
マツダ ご
ma-tsu-da go

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

Didn't follow the Rondo discussion, but if it is any consolation even though it looks good, just take a look at the many problems of the existing kia's across on their forum...after five years and less the cars are basically falling to bits, I realize that they say 10 year warranty, but from personal experience with KIA they do not stand behind their product at all, and there are quite a few Australian families that know what I am talking about (40% engine failure of their early models). Add to this such wonderful occurrences like a fuel pump exploding and destroying the engine and other wonderful problems like the front struts being crooked on the sedona and..........

Nice to look at but I think to me they still need another 10 years to really establish a name for themselves that they can build a car that lasts for more than 5 years!!!

Of course this is just my opinion... Wink

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
ront
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

Have you seen one in person? I saw one last week and it look nasty. It was bare bones model.
2000 MPV LX with sport package sold(sold)
2003 VW TDI Jetta Wagon GLS(sold)
2006 AWD LTD Ford Freestyle with lots of Volvo parts
2011 Malibu LTZ

Last edited by ront on Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

ront wrote:
Have seen one in person? I saw one last week and it look nasty. It was bare bones model.

Imagine going back 20 years in car technology and that about sums up those words of "bare bones model". When we went from our Kia carnival (sedona) to the MPV it was like moving forward 20 years Shocked

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

They are making some nice looking vehicles, imo. Curious if they have the hardware to support the looks and the 10year/100K mile warranty. I would envision it would be bad to have the vehicle in the shop for chunks at a time during the 10 years (and is the waranty transferrable?)

The feeling I'm getting is that you're buying a good looking vehicle with a good warranty - not sure if the hardware or dealer/corporate support goes with it.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
They are making some nice looking vehicles, imo. Curious if they have the hardware to support the looks and the 10year/100K mile warranty. I would envision it would be bad to have the vehicle in the shop for chunks at a time during the 10 years (and is the waranty transferrable?)

The feeling I'm getting is that you're buying a good looking vehicle with a good warranty - not sure if the hardware or dealer/corporate support goes with it.

It is not that they don't look good, it is the substance that is a little lacking. I do think since hyundai became more involved the substance is improving, but still well short of where it should be for a car.

Just on the warranty side, if the dealership has you locked into their service costs for 10 years then they will get very rich indeed. Gets very hard to prove that you have maintained the car to manufacturers specifications unless you have gone the dealership route.

I would say on the warranty route, it is the manufactured item that has the warranty, however if it is not a true manufacturers warranty and is an aftermarket style warranty then it will be person specific.

At least this is the way it is downunder.

au-dy-z
Matsuda- zoom zoom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

wow, i saw one in person, i still think its ugly but guess want, kia did study the competition, they have REAR A/C. its like the camry ex, behind the compartment, makes me want to smash it up more. mazda is much better IMO cause its MADE IN JAPAN and sportier

^
^
マツダ ご
ma-tsu-da go

1631920640.217174197.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1631920640.217174197.IM1.07.565x421_A.562x421.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1242 time(s)

vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

So the local paper reviewed the Rondo today in their Automotive section. Gave it very good marks and like the idea that the 2.7 liter 6 cylinder is available as an option to the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. Also liked the price and what came with base vehicle. Didn't lke that no manual was available.
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW); '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW)
Now: '18 Hyundai Tucson - Silver (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
kwong

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

I once saw a Rondo parked right next to my MPV in the parking lot, and they are both in silver. There is no comparsion whatsoever. I would rather spend a little more on a new Mazda5, for a longer relationship. You don't get marry to a woman just because you want a woman. Say hell no to the Rondonism.
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

Car and Driver had a write up in their May 2007 mag. I see a problem right off the bat when compared against the Mazda5 where even though the Rondo's base price is low, it adds up quickly when options are added (e.g. base $16,995; A/C $900; 3rd row seat $500). The EX V6 with a $1200 premium package (power sunroof, 315watt Infinity 6-disc system) and $1000 leather comes to $23,495.
antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

I saw my first Rondo on the road over the weekend.
It looks a bit akward in terms of the vehicle's proportions i.e., tall and narrow and a bit short....Definitely not an eye-catching design.
Anthony

2006 Mazda5 GT (Touring) AT
Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17
Terbennett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

Hey antlind,

I noticed that you own a 1988 Mazda 323GT. Awesome car and very rare!! I wanted one back in 1989 when I bought a Mazda 323LX. I was told that 1988 was the only year for the GT and they had sold out of them before they even hit the showroom. Finding one now is is a challenge since they only brought about 1,000 or so to the U.S. Saw one two years ago, but the guy had just bought it from someone in New Jersey- he lives here in California.
Also, I agree with au-dy-z. The Mazda is a better bet over the Rondo because it's made in Japan and it's much sportier. That's not just an opinion. That's a fact. Korean cars are better than they were but the long term reliability is still questionable.

Terrence Bennett
antlind
MPVClub Resident
Mazda-holic
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

Terbennett wrote:
Hey antlind,

I noticed that you own a 1988 Mazda 323GT. Awesome car and very rare!! I wanted one back in 1989 when I bought a Mazda 323LX. I was told that 1988 was the only year for the GT and they had sold out of them before they even hit the showroom. Finding one now is is a challenge since they only brought about 1,000 or so to the U.S. Saw one two years ago, but the guy had just bought it from someone in New Jersey- he lives here in California.
Also, I agree with au-dy-z. The Mazda is a better bet over the Rondo because it's made in Japan and it's much sportier. That's not just an opinion. That's a fact. Korean cars are better than they were but the long term reliability is still questionable.

Yeah....Like you I've owned a couple 323's back in the early 1990's (a 1989LX and a 1988 DX) and never was able to find a GT in decent condition. There were a few GTX's floating around but they were rallyed and were not in good conditon.
I got this GT after I moved out west to Calgary....Nice little ride in great condition for a 19yr old car and it is very fast.....here's a quick picture of the GT.
Anthony

2006 Mazda5 GT (Touring) AT
Platinum Grey, Running Advanti 17x7 in Summer, Window Visors, Front Lip, H&R Lowering Springs, Fujita CAI

2003 MPV LX
Silver, R/Rack, M/Guards, Bumper Guard, OEM Fogs, Vogtland Springs, Tokico (Blues) Shocks & Struts, Mazda6 17s and Yokohama 225x55R17

IMGP0440_1.jpg

IMGP0440_1.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 1134 time(s)

Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: KIA rondo is now out. Reply with quote

This site shows a 1986 1.6L turbo with 148HP

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=29733&Mazda

but obviouisly not all models (and for that matter, not even an MPV!!)

Check out the 626 for similar engines or the Capella for the JDM versions etc - they tended to have more variants in Japan.

kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Minivan Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: