MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

pic of reset screw location ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcriso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

new to the board here...lots of great information. I've been thru about 50 pages of the forum looking for a pic of the location of the CEL reset screw.

i have a 94 V6 Auto w/only 85K and i've gotten the instrument cluster loose but not fully pulled away far enough to see anything on the backside. I know to be careful about not disconnecting some wires back there by just muscleing it out so that is where i am now. Where exactly is the reset screw ?? I have tried to pull any trouble codes by jumping the TEN & GRN pins and nothing came up. Also tried disconnecting the NEG lead on batt and pushing brake pedal to reset, but CEL is still on.

Another recent problem is after about 20 min driving the transmission seems to get stuck in a low gear and the tach stays @1500rpm and struggles...can't increase speed. When I let off the gas it feels like the brakes are being applied or like compression braking. Noticed the fluid was at the lower 1/2" of the dipstick so I'm adding another 1/2 qt of atf and will recheck shortly.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, mcriso
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

Hi Mcriso - welcome to the board...

Check out these pics I posted on a recent thread on this topic.

on this thread...

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=147929#147929

It sounds like your timing belt may have slipped (much lower power) and the reason the CEL is on is the reminder to change it out.

Check out the sticky topics at the top of this 89-98 Forum and the instructions for the change out. It is highly recomended to replace the Hydraulic tensioner (must use the OEM Mazda one) and also the water pump while you are in there.

If the timing belt slips, the passenger side camshaft slips a tooth and runs retarded, and the Intake valve overlap on compression stroke is thus increased so actual compression starts later. the compression on 1, 3 & 5 cylinders may be around 95 - 100 psi instead of 165psi.

HTH

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper

Last edited by Kiwimpv on Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total
mcriso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

kiwipmv: great info !. i was able to reset the screw and topped off the transmission fluid and it runs like it did in happier days.
Now the hold light flashes. I jumped the TEN & GND terminals and got a 'quick flash, blank, flash, blank, followed by 3 more flashes (13 ? 23?)

not quite sure what to tackle next ...I'm all ears !(eyes)
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

Here is a pic posted by Gen1Hawaii out of the Haynes manual. Codes are for all check engine light code sequences for Gen1a MPV's CEL indications.

You might have to do it again and see which code pattern on the RHS matches the flashed codes.

HTH

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

when jumping the TEN to GND, you are pulling the engine codes as Kiwi posted. For the hold light flashing, you need to jump the TAT to GND and watch the hold light for flashes. I think there is a list of codes for that posted. It could be your shift solenoid pack.
'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
timfair

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

I had problems with my 92 4wd van, wouldnt rev beyond 1500 RPM. I reached under the passenger seat to get some tools, and noticed the carpet was wet, and found that my moon roof had been leaking. The water had run down the passenger side A pillar, and down to where the computer is, corroding the connections in the wiring harness... I cleaned it up a best I could, covered the connections in WD40, and voila, problem solved.

I also experienced very poor power when my timing belt slipped, and one bank of cylinders was 90 deg out... was totally separate issue to that mentioned above.

Hope this helps.
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

ou812 wrote:
when jumping the TEN to GND, you are pulling the engine codes as Kiwi posted. For the hold light flashing, you need to jump the TAT to GND and watch the hold light for flashes. I think there is a list of codes for that posted. It could be your shift solenoid pack.

I used Ou812's previous posts in this DIY maintenance all CEL and DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) lists here...

http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=82

I need to get a photo of the location of the TCM and blue connector...

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Terbennett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

I was just told by a Mazda tech ( at a dealer) that you don't have to reset the Check engine with the screw. He told me that all you need to do is disconnect the negative cable on the battery and step on the brake for five seconds and you should be ready to go.
Terrence Bennett
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

Thats always a good first check, especially for genuine CEL trigger faults but the 80,000ml reminder has to be reset with the screw change.

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
randes2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

Does the 80k mile reminder for the timing belt occur only once, or at every 80k miles? And if at every 80k, do you just swap back to NO if already at NC?
1990 MPV 4WD
1989 MPV 4WD junker
1991 MPV 2WD junker
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

randes2000 wrote:
Does the 80k mile reminder for the timing belt occur only once, or at every 80k miles? And if at every 80k, do you just swap back to NO if already at NC?

Yes that is right, it is there to reset the mileage period - I don't know if it has just set mileages and it jumps from one to the other, I don't think it starts "counting" again, but that is the reason for it and the need to swtich the screw at that period.

For metric km/hr odometers, I am not sure what the trigger steps are = 130,000kms or 135,000kms periods.

NO in electronic terms means Normally Open, and NC means Normally Closed - the two positions of a switch.

Also it is a trigger for the Oxygen sensor - its worth changing it at this period too because it may start to control to a more richer mixture and your mileage may get worse. Other items to change are water pump - lasts till about 100~120kmls, and all other items associated with the timing belt - hydraulic tensioner and the idlers and bushes. Check other belts while there too and probably the coolant could do with a change out as well.

Kiwi

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
randes2000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

Kiwi,
Not sure you answered my question. Nowhere have I seen in writing that you move from NC to NO at further CEL mileage marks. Just the one reference for NO to NC. Just need a simple answer....do you toggle NC back to NO at 160k? and then NO to NC at 240k?
Oh and the "newbie" designation on my account is in no way a reflection of my experience with my MPV. I've owned it since 1995. I do all work on it, including rebuilding the automatic tranny (that's me rebuilding..not taking to a shop..lots of pictures on that), engine swap, ALL spring swap with non-ALL springs...basically you name it.
I read a lot of the posts in this forum, but only post a reply when few else have or when time permits. I find a lot of the info interesting, but am puzzled why so many look for info and then trot down to their local mechanic to have it fixed.

1990 MPV 4WD
1989 MPV 4WD junker
1991 MPV 2WD junker
jp88
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

Randes, you sound like a seasoned DIY'er. Some here are looking to educate themselves as to not get ripped off by a mechanic. Some like myself have the confidence to jump into a timing belt job. Others, probably could do it, but rely on their vehicle daily and can't chance it being down as a result of a DIY mistake. Please feel free to share those pictures and inspire us less mechanically inclined.
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

R2000 -

The check engine light in our '90 came on at exactly 260,000 km. (On Canadian vehicles [and perhaps all with metric odometer] it's triggered by the odometer every 130,000 km.)

I reset it by moving the screw back to the original position. (We didn't own the van at 130,000 km., but presume that the original owner moved it then.)

I looked at the schematic at the time and was impressed at the cleverness of the design. Every 130,000 km the screw must be moved to the other position to reset the light.

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: pic of reset screw location ? Reply with quote

R2000 -

The check engine light in our '90 came on at exactly 260,000 km. (On Canadian vehicles [and perhaps all with metric odometer] it's triggered by the odometer every 130,000 km.)

I reset it by moving the screw back to the original position. (We didn't own the van at 130,000 km., but presume that the original owner moved it then.)

I looked at the schematic at the time and was impressed at the cleverness of the design. Every 130,000 km the screw must be moved to the other position to reset the light.

Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: