MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antzin Muhpantz
MPVClub Resident
Tame Race Driver
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

"Impressive... Most impressive."
-Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader Very Happy

I can see by what you carry
that you come from Barrytown!

2005 MPV LX Titanium Grey "Da KrazyBus" Alpine CDA 9851 reciever, Alpine MRP 240 four channel amp, Alpine S-Type 5x7 front, factory rear, 8" Dayton Quattro sub- and generous amounts of Steely Dan!
2002.5 Mazda Protege 5 Laser Blue, Moonroof, 4 Speed Sport AT, 6 Speaker Audio
Robzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Antzin Muhpantz wrote:
"Impressive... Most impressive."
-Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader Very Happy

LoL, I've been uncovered, I'm with the Dark Side! when do you get going in a similar project?
Antzin Muhpantz
MPVClub Resident
Tame Race Driver
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

for the time being, i think i'll stick with the 8" sealed box in my seatwell. i dont have the tools or woodworking skills to fabricate the custom sub but your projects have made me start to think about revisiting the idea!
actually, the next step in my project is to add some sound dampening materials to the doors and some panels.

I can see by what you carry
that you come from Barrytown!

2005 MPV LX Titanium Grey "Da KrazyBus" Alpine CDA 9851 reciever, Alpine MRP 240 four channel amp, Alpine S-Type 5x7 front, factory rear, 8" Dayton Quattro sub- and generous amounts of Steely Dan!
2002.5 Mazda Protege 5 Laser Blue, Moonroof, 4 Speed Sport AT, 6 Speaker Audio
Foolish
Man of Many Mazdas!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Hey Robzz, where did you ground the amp? The ground wire I got has a ring connector on the end that's actually big enough to put around the seat bolt, but I didn't know if that was a good ground connection.

Thanks,

-Eric
'03.5 Protege5 - Tokico Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, AWR 21mm rear sway, AWR adjustable endlinks, B&M SS, Injen CAI, Wagner Shorty Header
2010 Mazda5, 5-Speed Manual
'00 MPV LX - 3" CAI, P5 Wheels, MSP sub/amp setup in custom box, Tow hitch, 110,000+ miles, SOLD!!
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

The seat bolt would be fine it just needs a good metallic connection to the car body would provide a good earth. A 5/16 or 1/4" hole and bolt made on a bracket in the same space would be fine too. It is best with a serrated washer either above or below the flat wire lug connector to ensure a good contact with the metal is helpful too.

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Robzz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Foolish wrote:
Hey Robzz, where did you ground the amp? The ground wire I got has a ring connector on the end that's actually big enough to put around the seat bolt, but I didn't know if that was a good ground connection.

Thanks,

As Kiwi said, the seats bolt could be a solution. For my part, I found bolts under the carpet a little more at the back and used that. It's actually about halfway between the front and middle seats. You have to remove the plastic trim that is adjacent to the sliding door. It's more trouble but I don't need to worry of the groud when I lift the seat to make adjustments to the amp.
Foolish
Man of Many Mazdas!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Cool, thanks guys!
-Eric
'03.5 Protege5 - Tokico Struts, Eibach Pro-kit Springs, AWR 21mm rear sway, AWR adjustable endlinks, B&M SS, Injen CAI, Wagner Shorty Header
2010 Mazda5, 5-Speed Manual
'00 MPV LX - 3" CAI, P5 Wheels, MSP sub/amp setup in custom box, Tow hitch, 110,000+ miles, SOLD!!
TAMPA2000MPV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Robzz,

Your english is very good! I own a 2000 MPV. I desperately want to replace the 9 factory speakers and 6.5" subwoofer. A few points and questions pose in my mind:

- I'd like to leave the factory AM/FM/CD and add an amp.
- Are there existing factory crossovers built-in to my MPV? (Tweeters accompany speakers up front and in rear.)
- Is there an existing factory crossover for the seperate subwoofer?
- Will adding an amp interfere with built-in crossover functionality with speaker sets and the subwoofer, if crossovers exist at all?
- Are the crossovers in the radio/head unit?

My goal: Replace all 9 speakers and subwoofer, add an existing 250W amp, and stay away from too much custom work.

I do not mind installing component sets up front and 6x9s in the back, but I do not know what this will do to my functionality and performance of the subwoofer in the hatch.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Robzz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

TAMPA2000MPV wrote:
Robzz,

Your english is very good! I own a 2000 MPV. I desperately want to replace the 9 factory speakers and 6.5" subwoofer. A few points and questions pose in my mind:

- I'd like to leave the factory AM/FM/CD and add an amp.
- Are there existing factory crossovers built-in to my MPV? (Tweeters accompany speakers up front and in rear.)
- Is there an existing factory crossover for the seperate subwoofer?
- Will adding an amp interfere with built-in crossover functionality with speaker sets and the subwoofer, if crossovers exist at all?
- Are the crossovers in the radio/head unit?

My goal: Replace all 9 speakers and subwoofer, add an existing 250W amp, and stay away from too much custom work.

I do not mind installing component sets up front and 6x9s in the back, but I do not know what this will do to my functionality and performance of the subwoofer in the hatch.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi Brian,
-yes, it's feasable to add an amp to a factory headu unit althought I would never do that in respect to sound quality. In my mind, change the head unit 1st as it's weak, like the average OEM head unit. To add an amp to OEM head unit, you need to get an amp with a high level input, aka speaker level input.
-To my knowledge, there is no factory crossover in the speakers. The tweeter only get capacitor to fade out the bass. Maybe the sub has one but I don't know cause my peevee did not have a OEM sub.
-No as there' no OEM crossover
-No

If I had a 250 watts amp and some limited budget and wanted to replace everything, I'd get an aftermarket HU to power the after market speakers you want to buy. I'd put the 250 watts amp on a 8" to 10" subwoofer and that's it.

Best of luck!
S.
TAMPA2000MPV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

THANKS! I'll give it a shot.
-Brian
AdamDZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

This is indeed awesome! Since I'm not capable of doing such work (jealous!) I was wondering if simply replacing the existing factory subwoofer with a better one and still use factory stereo/amp would give any noticeable improvement in bass volume and quality? The stock one sounds "boomy" kinda hollow and has no low end punch. Thanks!

Adam

2004 MPV LX Titanium Gray with sports package

Mystery320

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Hello Fellous!
Terveiset Suomesta!

Has anyone tought to build sub.box in front. I mean that little box under the radio unit where the ashtrey is... You can easy build at least 15l box there. Are the org speakers 5x7 or 6x9? Confused
vballcoach

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

nice job on the enclosure. My buddy has a 10" type R in his 3500 cummins diesel and it totally rocks. we did put in new amps as his 2nd system got stolen but the sub was too hard to take. I love that driver.

does the sub vibrate your rear view mirror while driving?

I put a 10" Audio Arc in a custom fiberglass enclosure and while I love the bass, it's annoying when you can't see too well in the mirrors. I know I can't have both when I'm blaring the system...
Skoorbmax

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Has anyone else done this yet? I have a stock stero and am planning on adding a subwoofer. I will keep all other components OEm. Frankly I am more concerned with volume of bass than sound quality so I'm ok splicing off the rear speakers and shooting right into the AMP.
benjimpv

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My 10 incher sub in OEM compartment (56K beware!) Reply with quote

Gah! Pics don't work on my pc for some reason Sad Want to see this install as I have a punch p1 10" to install!

2004 MPV all stock
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: