MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

OEM Radio Replacement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickandsandie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

I have a 97 All-Sport FWD. It currently has an AM/FM/Cassette with single CD player. It appears that at some point in time someone sloshed a liquid into the radio as the display looks weird and the right speakers don't work.

What is a suitable replacement for the OEM unit that is easy to install? Also how does one remove the faceplate surrounding the radio and heater controls to get to the radio?

Rick
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

You might want to try www.crutchfield.com If you enter in your vehicle they tell you what will fit and what you would have to do (if anything) to make it fit.
2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
rickandsandie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

I reviewed he web site but unfortunately they didn't give any details about how to remove the plate covering the radio. They indicated that detailed instructions would come with a radio purchase. What I'd like to do is get a Mazda radio from a pick'n'pull and replace it my self.
schmaeher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:58 am    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

I had foud a site acouple of years ago, the audio doctor or doctoraudio? something like that they had detailed DIY manuals (with pictures) for some cars, ie for my Toyota they had a complete how to replace head unit tutorial....
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

Oh, man... it's been a while since I did that, but I'll try to describe it... Where's 4x4AllSport? I know he's done this.

IIRC, the newer MPV radios were removed with a small 'U' shaped tool that depressed two pins. There's a small cover that you pry off, on either side of the radio. Use a tape-wrapped, flat-head screwdriver, so you don't scratch the radio. Or, take our your frustrations on that busted radio, LOL.

I wish I had a detailed pic of it... maybe I'll search around, if that would help you. Simple procedure really, once you get the knack.

<edit> Okay, I got lucky, so here's a diagram that may aid you:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
4X4AllSport
89-98 MPV Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

I have done this before, but when I bought My '97, it already had an after-market stereo in it (not the dvd/tv unit I have now, but an aftermarket nontheless). I still had to use a removal tool which was supplied. I haven't seen the stock factory unit on the All-Sport, but I'm pretty sure you need that U-shaped radio removal tool that j.doc was talking about.

Good luck.
Smile

97 Efini MPV ES 4WD All-Sport M Edition
Indigo Blue/Silent Silver,77k mi
InDash TouchScreen DVD/CD/TV,ClassIII HiddenHitch,HitchStep,JDM Spoiler,Cone Filter,PIAA Spark 4900K

01 Millenia S,58k mi
04 Lexus GX470,35k mi
93 Honda Civic DX,88k mi
Had a 90 MP 2WD,224k mi

judge Mazda's MPV is M.V.P. clever
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

FWIW, the tool that is shown in the diagram can be had at just about any stereo shop. They have tons of them, b/c Clarion and some other brands use this same tool, and it's generally included in the box that the radio comes in. So, you may get it for free!

Wait... I didn't include the diagram of the tool. Sorry. Well it looks like this (in ASCI):

I I
I I
I I
I__________I

Grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
swiftturtle
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

Java,

Is it the same one they use on the Fords? If so I've heard or read that you could get them at Autozone. I don't have an autozone in this state so i can't verify. Couldn't you just bent a couple of wire hangers for the same function? That was my impression when they were removing the OEM Ford radio. BTW it was a defective unit they were just swapping it out.

2003 ES Coastal Blue Metallic
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re:OEM Radio Replacement Reply with quote

That's a big roger, Swifty. Same type of tool for alot of Ford head units. And Saabs, too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: