MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krohrer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

Have a question for the group that the salesman couldn't answer. Is the base stereo included in the LX pre-wired for the additional speakers, specifically dash tweeters and subwoofer. I was hoping that I could pop off the tweeter covers and find some wires waiting for me. Also, does it Mazda sell the tweeters as an accessory or would I need to go through someplace like Crutchfield?

Karl Rohrer
davidwar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

My Mazda dealer told me they were not, but others on this board have reported otherwise, especially with regard to the subwoofer. I looked in the spot where the jack is and there is an orange plug not connected to anything.

They will sell you the tweeters, but I think you are better off going to Crutchfield or someone else. You will get a better quality name brand speaker, probably for less than what you will pay your dealer.

2002 MPV LX "Shimmering Sand" (security, luxury, 4 seasons, roofrack, rear step plate, spoiler, dealer installed moonroof and dvd)
1998 Honda Accord EX
Medicineman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

The wiring is all there from what I can see. Others have said the wires are already hooked up, so it shouldn't be a big deal. There is no opening in the back for the tweeters there so that would be more difficult to do.

The wires for the front tweeters are actually attached to the covers so they are right there when you remove the covers. The dealer probably says they are not there so you will buy an ES and fill up his pockets with more $$.

Garrick

2004 Silver ES

2000 Red Nissan Frontier XE w/sport package
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

Medicineman wrote:

The wires for the front tweeters are actually attached to the covers so they are right there when you remove the covers. The dealer probably says they are not there so you will buy an ES and fill up his pockets with more $$.

Garrick

The dealer says they are not there because I think dealers will just say anything; especially if they don't know the answer but don't want to appear unknowledgeable even if they are.

How do the balance and faders work with the nine speakers? We have the four speaker system, and I am often turning off speakers so people can sleep without a speaker right next to them playing. Can you do this with the nine speaker system? or a 4< speakers<9 if one added speakers, but not all the way up to nine?

[b:a970de293f]Dan[/b:a970de293f]
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:38 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
How do the balance and faders work with the nine speakers? We have the four speaker system, and I am often turning off speakers so people can sleep without a speaker right next to them playing. Can you do this with the nine speaker system? or a 4< speakers<9 if one added speakers, but not all the way up to nine?

When you fade the rear speakers, all five (tweeters, rear speakers and subwoofer) are muted.
NoNoVW

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

I always thought that tweeters should only be in front of the listener. That will give a more "natural" experience (like in a concert where all the players are in front of you). I found the cutouts for the front tweeters and they are waaaaaayyyyy up front. Is there any place closer to the dashboard to mount them?

The problem might resolve itself if I purchase a good set of coaxials for the doors.

Rich
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:47 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

I've put tweeters in the front dash vents of a car before, but not an MPV. It's a great place to mount them, although not really that simple to install.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
osakampv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:18 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

I try posting a picture of my front tweeters with test for the first time.
Since my MPV has four speakers and I thought the sound of high tone is not so good, I had an auto-shop install the tweeters to improve high tone and directivity of sound when I bought MPV.
My tweeters were made by Kenwood and installed in the black part of A-pillar, but unfortunately, I didn’t install tweeters myself, so can’t remember its wiring.
Six speakers including tweeters provide me with a pleasant time to listen to my favorite songs.

Here is a link of my tweeters,
http://www.kenwood.com/j/products/car_audio/speaker/tweeter/

Regards,
Toshiki

Toshiki
'01 Mazda MPV 4WD SPORTS
'02 Mazda AZ-WAGON
osakampv

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:31 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

Sorry,
Since I couldn’t post a picture of mine here well, please refer to a small picture in another thread if you are interested in it.
“Testing” “Just testing”.
Regards,
Toshiki

Toshiki
'01 Mazda MPV 4WD SPORTS
'02 Mazda AZ-WAGON
RDClark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

NoNoVW wrote:

I always thought that tweeters should only be in front of the listener. That will give a more "natural" experience (like in a concert where all the players are in front of you). I found the cutouts for the front tweeters and they are waaaaaayyyyy up front. Is there any place closer to the dashboard to mount them?

The location is actually pretty good because high frequencies bounce off glass very effectively. The proximity of the windshield, and its angle to the tweeters, creates the acoustical effect of mounting the tweeters aimed directly at the seats. Equally importantly, you want to give higher frequencies some distance to "spread;" the higher the frequence the more it tends to "beam," and you need some space betwen the tweeters and the listeners to let the sound diffuse so everybody can hear both channels.

RichC

RichC
'02 Emerald Mica MPV LX, Security and 4-Seasons
'91 Black MPV 2.6L, Currently on assignment w/ No1 Son
'05 Blue Onyx Pearl Scion xB
'01 Airborne Carpe Diem
'00 Novara Randonee
'02 Fuji Roubaix Pro
Beachnut
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:

I've put tweeters in the front dash vents of a car before, but not an MPV. It's a great place to mount them, although not really that simple to install.

Huh? Oh, that's right .... no need for AC when you're already in the freezer Grin
Medicineman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

Quite a few of the tweeters on the market now are "aimable" so that you can adjust the speaker to work well in a less than perfect spot.

The tweeters in my truck are OEM an they are mounted very high in the doors. The truck's stock system is good except it needs some kind of sub for a little bit of "punch"

The MPV 4 speaker system screams for some help. I bet replacing the front door speakers and putting in those tweeters would help a lot. Of course, if you have the cash, a subwoofer and upgrading the rear speakers would also be nice.

I just need those wining Megamillions numbers! It's up to $78 million for tuesday! I guess I'll buy a couple of tickets just to think about what I would do. I know I'll never win, but it's worth a couple of bucks just to dream about it.

Garrick

2004 Silver ES

2000 Red Nissan Frontier XE w/sport package
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RDClark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

For the record, the front tweeter wiring in my 4-speaker 2002 LX was already there. The connector for the factory tweeter, pre-wired, is plugged into a dummy connector on the back of the round filler plate. Pry out the plate and the wire comes with it.

Note that this is not a standard connector, and if you buy an aftermarket tweeter you'll have to splice the wires. I have a pair of Alpine tweeters I'm going to pop in there and see how it sounds.

RichC

RichC
'02 Emerald Mica MPV LX, Security and 4-Seasons
'91 Black MPV 2.6L, Currently on assignment w/ No1 Son
'05 Blue Onyx Pearl Scion xB
'01 Airborne Carpe Diem
'00 Novara Randonee
'02 Fuji Roubaix Pro
JoshjaniMPV

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

Also for the record- my tweeter covers did NOT hide any pre-existing wires! Huh?

Just my luck! Just can't see spending all the time and effort it'd take to wire and install the extra speakers, just to hear Elmo and Bear in the Big Blue house in premium sound! Razz

JC

2001 MPV LX Sand Mica
Best Mod-"Zoom-Zoom" Decal
2005 Saturn VUE 47K- RIP Saturn Sad
owr084

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re:Base Stereo Pre-Wired for Additional Speakers? Reply with quote

And Vegetales, Raffi, Animaniacs, Barney, Blue's Clues, etc..... Razz

But when I do get the MPV to myself (rarely...), it's put the windows down, open the sunroof, and crank up the AC/DC Cool

RBB

jonshajac wrote:

Just my luck! Just can't see spending all the time and effort it'd take to wire and install the extra speakers, just to hear Elmo and Bear in the Big Blue house in premium sound! Razz

RBB
2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Diesel
2002 Mazda MPV ES
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: