MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

"Clunking" noise in suspension
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbirch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

I have noticed a dull "clunk" noise coming from the front somewhere, particularly when turning and loading the front suspension. Does not require a big bump to make it happen, a dip in the road when doing a 3 point turn will be enough.
Sometimes it occurs when braking as well.
Could this be a CV joint issue?

Cheers and Happy New Year!

David
'95 3.0 4wd
Manitoba MPV
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

David - Look for a broken link at either end of the front stabiliser (a.k.a. anti-sway) bar.
Manitoba MPV

'82 GLC 1.5 5-speed ('82 - '95); '79 GLC Sport 1.4 5-speed ('87 - '89); '85 626 2.0 5-speed ('97 - '05); '90 MPV 2WD 2.6 5-speed ('96 - '01); '95 Bawngo GL Super 9 pass 2.0 5-speed ('03 - '04); '97 AllSport 2WD 3.0 auto ('01 - ?); '01 Protege 1.6 5-speed ('05 - '13); '09 Mazda 5 GT 5-speed ('13 - ?)
poptop
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Engage 4WD. If problem goes away it is probably worn splines on either the end of removable axle shaft where it pushes into the front differential, or the splines on the internal shaft's at the end's of the front differential.
Grab the axle where it enters the front differential and try wiggling it. Should be only minimal play up and down, front to back.
Mine was the internal differential splines.
Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

I have a general clu8nking also. I jsut bought the car yesterday...it has been hard to pinpoint the locations - its mostly from the rear as far as I can tell..

I've read a few different threads around here, just wondering what the thoughts might be

1998 MPV ES All Sport
1993 Ford Ranger XLT w/camper
2006 Mazda3

Mac Dual G5 2.3Ghz / 2.4Ghz Macbook
16GB iphone
Smile
sleyman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

I had a clunking coming from the front end turned out to be the strut mounting block. I replaced the block with a KYB strut mounting block. No more clunk.

Mounting block.JPG

Mounting block.JPG - File downloaded or viewed 1031 time(s)

Bird

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Nice pic! I lov eit when there are pics in a "how to" forum" Makes for easy quick chat...

So, is this a matter of removing the tire, then the spring assembly? And is the strut mount located (connected to) the assemby when you remove it or still up inside the wheel well?

Also, will I need a spring compressor? I'm thinking not, but my dad scared me years ago with his stories (who knows the validity of his stories!) about people getting killed or cars being punctured by shocks!

Secondly, would this process be identical on all four struts?

Keep in mind I have the 4WD with the self leveling feature... I intend to go find a Chiltons book later today... so I'll have quick reference too.

(Sorry its been awhile since I messed with springs and such)

1998 MPV ES All Sport
2006 Mazda3

16GB iphone
Smile
dbirch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the great feedback.

The clunk persists when in 4wd mode...I suppose this is good as replacing an axel sounds labourious and it is cold outside : )

Will check the stabilizer (anti sway) bar- I have had the rear bolts shear on a previous MPV so somewhat familiar with this fix.

Any suggestions on diagnosing the strut mounting block without removing it?
Is it very involved to remove or simply a matter of unloading the spring and removing the 4 bolts pictured?

Cheers,
David
sleyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

I went to a good suspension guy who did the diag for free Very Happy
Good luck.
It is very simple to remove the strut form the car as you can see in the pic everything is still intact just removed tire and two lower bolts i think there is 8 upper bolts that go on those 4 studs. The strut then drops down. Very Happy
ou812
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

I just wanted to add for the novice, Improper disassembly of the strut (complete tear down, not just removing the strut) without proper compression tools for the spring, Is a job you can loose your head over! Unlike plain (not struts) rear springs, strut springs are compressed "alot". If not held by the proper tool to keep the spring compressed, it will "spring". Ever made a small spring bounce? Picture it much bigger, with more force, and your head right next to it. Shocked

P.S. Bird, your dad's stories are real. Smile

'91 silver MPV (gone)
'94 white MPV (gone)
"I want my, I want my, I want my MPV"
dbirch

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Update: Problem solved!

Front stabilizer linkage was broken on both sides. The top nuts were sheared off flush with the eye of the stabilizer bar so very difficult to see. The bolts were pretty rotten as I was able to twist/shear off the bottom nuts using a pair of vice grips and a socket wrench.
All in all a simple fix and under $25 which is always nice. Only challenge was in getting all the bushings compressed sufficiently to get the top nut on!

Cheers,
David
Bird

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

I've looked for a chiltons MPV manual, but only autozone had one up to 1995 - I have a 1998 EX. If I get this will I be missing much important specific info?

I think I've narrowed down two seperate clunks with mine.

I think I have some in the rear - probably srut mounts.

I also notice a different "knock" in the front right. I don't think its a ball joint - I think it may be what dbirch found...not sure. - Man I wish I had a chiltons book - love to visualize whaat I'm getting into.

Does anyone have and sure-fire ways to diagnose these suspected issues?

Also - if ya take any pics of what you see or what you doing - It would be greatly appreciated. Smile

1998 MPV ES All Sport
2006 Mazda3

16GB iphone
Smile
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Bird, the Chiltons should be ok, but you have 4 wheel disc brakes and electrical circuits differ in a few places and the inlet manifold is back to front!! (oh, and the water pump is different - longer reach) Laughing Otherwise, most of the running gear is exactly the same even from 1989. In the rear, there are not any struts, is is a solid axle with a panhard rod and coil springs and slanting shocks and a small antisway bar.

Cheers

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
Bird

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Hmmm...so with my rattle, clunkin in the rear - what would you suspect - bushing?

My life is upside down right now - with selling a house, two cars and moving to another state - so I'll probably have to take it to a local shop for a looksee, but it would be nice to have an idea of what Im looking at job-wise. However, if it's a small deal, I might attempt it myself

So, the 89-94 book is ok?

ANd you said "slnting shocks." Whats the diff. between shocks and struts?

1998 MPV ES All Sport
2006 Mazda3

16GB iphone
Smile
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Its possibly the sway bar fittings - the bushes can get worn and the bolts can break. The sway bar is a bent and twisted 5/8 round bar that runs up behind the top of the diff.

The Struts are short for McPherson Strut which have replaced double wishbones for independent front suspension as they consume less engine bay space. however, they have been introduced for independent rear suspension as well, but not on the RWD MPV... Check out an encyclopedia here...

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/McPherson+strut

Compare this with the superior double wisbone system on other front wheel suspension systems.

But you can see from this photo on our MPV what I meant by a sloping shock and coil suspension.

The sideways panhard rod end connection is just visible underneath the spring mounted on the axle and the other end is mounted on the car chassis.

HTH

Kiwimpv

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
dbirch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: "Clunking" noise in suspension Reply with quote

Here is a picture of one of the shiney new stabilizer bar links I installed on the front of my van, though it is very similar in the rear. The link is simply a long bolt that travels through a sleeve and has bushings at each end.
To install I put everything in place minus the top bushing (the bolt is was a hair on the short side so i needed to compress the bushings) and tightened it down. With the bushings compressed I clamped the stabilizer bar and swing arm and then removed the bolt enough to get the last bushing in. Tighted things up and removed the clamp. I found the hardest thing was getting the old link out. On my previous MPV I went to a muffler shop and had them cut the links out with a torch as I could not break the nut free.

Cheers,
David

Van link2.jpg

Van link2.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 895 time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: