MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

If you encounter an 'Error in posting' when you reply to a post, try keeping the Subject line of the reply under 35 characters or so.

Weird error code -- 2404 !?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitzguam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

New member, first post!

I have a CEL illuminated, so borrowed a friends' cheapo reader, and it's giving me code 2404 --

- but I can find no evidence that such a code even exists, either in the listing that came with the reader or on-line. Anybody have any idea what this code means?

The van is a 2004 Mazda MPV DX. Possible hint: One service rep said he thought the VIN indicated a Canadian model . . . but it was purchased new here in the US Territory of Guam.

Thanks in advance,

Kelly Fitzpatrick
fitzguam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

Hmm. I found an allegedly complete code list . . . no 2404, but both 0404 and 1404 refer to the exhaust gas recycling valve . . .

I've reset the light, tightened the gas cap (it's my wife's car and I don't know if she went for the old "3 clicks" or not ). I'll let you know if the light comes back or if this is one of the codes a loose cap can cause.

Kelly
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

From http://mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=56

P2404 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump air filter clogging
fitzguam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

Ah, excellent. Thank you, Sir! Is this something you would bother fixing (we are 8000 miles from the nearest city, so have no smog control inspections). If so, is it a DIY kind of job? For that matter, where IS said pump and filter?

Kelly "Printing and keeping that page" Fitzpatrick
nls
MPVClub Preacher
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

I am not an expert, you might have to wait for others to chime in on this. But here is some more info

http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=78239

The search tool is your best friend!
fitzguam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

Ah, I didn't see the search tool until now. Excellent site, nice folks, great info -- I'll be bookmarking this in all my computers. Thanks again!

Kelly
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=56

there's a list of all the MPV codes. 2404 is Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump air filter clogging...perhaps check your air filter?

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

2011 Ford Explorer XLT, Tuxedo Black Metallic - the "Beast"
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, Sterling Grey Metallic - the "Hyper"

2002 Mazda MPV ES - retired
fitzguam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

So, this thing has othing to do with any kind of feedback loop to the engine control systems, correct? If not, I really don't care about it. Cool
fitzguam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

I'm delighted to report that the evaporative emissions fault indication was triggered by (what else?) a gas cap that was not tightened properly after fueling. A free fix is a (very) Good Fix -- many thanks to all who helped!
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

That is the most common trigger for the CEL, glad it was an easy fix!

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

daddylonglegs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

I have this error code and the gas cap is not loose so I'm assuming I should try replacing the air filter next.

By "air filter" it appears they don't mean the engine air intake filter, but apparently the small canister filter on driver's side just in front of the firewall, correct? This apparently filters air coming into the charcoal canister for the evaporative emissions control system?
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

There is this TSB: http://www.mpvclub.com/tsb.php?id=181

Also, even if the gas cap is tight, it could be not sealing well. Removing the cap and trying again is easy enough to do. Then clear the code and see if it comes back.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

daddylonglegs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

subearu wrote:
There is this TSB: http://www.mpvclub.com/tsb.php?id=181

Also, even if the gas cap is tight, it could be not sealing well. Removing the cap and trying again is easy enough to do. Then clear the code and see if it comes back.

-Brian

Thanks, I had seen that TSB cited above.

Is the reprogramming of the PCM something you can only get done at a dealer?
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

Yes, reprogramming can usually only be done at a dealer. Most, if not all, independent shops don't have the $ for these expensive manufacturer specific units.

-Brian

Mazda MPV---MPVClub.com

rolodoc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Weird error code -- 2404 !? Reply with quote

I have the same p2404 code on 2002 MPV. The P2404 code is: Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump air filter clogging. The car runs fine still, with the CEL light on for 2 weeks now. I already tried tightening the gas cap.

Daddylonglegs: Did you get the fix and if you did, where and how?

I am trying to decide between going to my local mechanic or the dealer. I'm not sure if the problem needs the TSB fix at the dealer, or just changing the detection pump air filter. Maybe the local mechanic can change that air filter first and see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 00-06 MPV Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: