MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bensMPV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

Hello ...

My very first post on MPVclub, though I've been reading others' posts for awhile now. Shortly after buying my 2000 MPV this Spring, I ordered a roofrack from www.mazdastuff.com . Once it arrived, I had a problem finding the right tools for the project - I thought I'd list out step by step what I needed so that it might save you time if you take on the same project.

Tools you need that the average person might not have: an 11/32 drill bit (buy this exact size), a "center punch", a drill stop (you may be able make this yourself if you can't find one), a tube of 100% silicon caulk, some touch up paint to match your vehicle, a T25 Torx tool (I think this is the size), and a rivet nut tool.

I had a real problem finding the "rivet nut tool" that the instructions told me that I needed. Others that I've read about in these forums had the same problems. I called auto parts stores, and they were helpful, but clueless. I called Mazda, and they were helpless and clueless. I even contacted mazdastuff.com - and they were helpful, but ultimately couldn't tell me where to buy, rent, or find the tool that I needed. The couldn't even give me a size or a part #. I finally figured out that a rivet nut tool (sometimes called a threaded rivet tool) has to be ordered by size, and the size of the rivet nuts for my roofrack were metric - 6mm to be precise (M6). This makes it an even harder tool to find.

In the end, I found a tool at www.rivetnuttool.com that was available in 6mm. It's $20, and worth every penny. The first thing you should do is order this tool. Once you have the right tools, this project isn't difficult. It'll take you about 2 hours, and you'll end up with a great looking product.

Here is what I did, step by step:

Step #1 - Wipe down the roof of your car (the instructions tell you to use a 50/50 water/alcohol mix - not sure how important that is).

Step #2 - Included in your roofrack kit is a template to help you mark out your drill locations. Cut out this template and follow the instructions to mark out your first 2 drill locations on each side (in the back). Mark the spots with a Sharpie.

Step #3 - Assemble the roofrack on top of the van. Get it perfect, making sure that you align the front mounts carefully so that they fit against the van snugly. If the front mounts are too far left or right, you'll see gaps under the rubber seals.

Step #4 - Once you've got the roofrack aligned perfectly over the back drill marks, and everything else is centered, mark out the other drill locations on the roof. There are 10 holes total that you'll be drilling (I used a Q tip to make these marks, since there's no way to get a marker down into the holes.) Double and triple check these marks - it would be a big mistake to get those holes wrong.

Step #5 - Remove the rack from the roof. Now use your center punch and tap each drill location. This will help your drill bit from skating all over your roof as you try to drill.

Step #6 - Use a 1/8" bit and drill pilot holes on each of the 10 locations that you marked out in step #5. Be sure to use a drill stop (set to the same depth as your rivet nuts). If you don't have a drill stop, you could duct tape a bushing or nut to the drill bit to make sure that it won't go past the depth you need. If you go too far, you'll have holes in your headliner, and you don't want that, unless you like that kind of thing.

Step #7 - Go back with your 11/32" bit and widen each hole to the final size. Again - make sure your drill bit has a drill stop. On each side, you drill 5 holes - 2 in front, 2 in back, and 1 in the middle. On the middle hole on each side, you will have to punch through 2 layers of metal for the rivet nut to get to its correct depth. Don't worry - as long as you have the drill stop set to the right level, you won't punch through your headliner, even passing through the second layer of metal.

Step #8 - Clean up the holes you made and use touch-up paint around the edges of the holes to make sure they don't rust.

Step #9 - While you're waiting 5-10 minutes for your touch up paint to dry, go ahead and place the "rub strips" on your van. They are ultra-easy to install, since one side has an adhesive on it. Just center them (forward and back, left and right) and stick them right on. Your van already has 4 raised ribs where they belong, so it's easy to get them on. Just make sure there is no dirt where you're sticking them on - this will create problems with the adhesive later if the van is dirty when you do installation.

Step #10 - Generously add silicon to each hole and place a rivet nut in each hole. Use your rivet nut tool to tighten each rivet nut in place. This is probably the most time consuming part of the entire installation. Make sure they're correctly placed, and that the silicon is sealing well. This is where you'll get leaking later on if you don't have a good seal.

Step #11 - Once the rivet nuts are all in and tightened, add another dab of silicon to the inside of each rivet nut. Place the roofrack back on top of the van and line up all of the holes.

Step #12 - Thread each Torx screw in its proper place. Do not tighten the screws down until you've gotten them all threaded in their proper places. Use a torque wrench to tighten each screw to its proper specs, found in the instructions.

Step #13 - Go watch some football. You've earned it.

The end result is fantastic - your van goes from looking plain to sporty in just 2 hours, and you have the satisfaction of knowing it's been done right. I spent significantly more time looking for the rivet nut tool than I spent actually installing the roof rack. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me or post. Enjoy the process!

Last edited by bensMPV on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:36 am; edited 5 times in total
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

That's really great. I have 2 issues.

1.Can I see a pic of this rivet nut?
2. I don't like football.

Anyway thanks to you I feel confident in this project.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
bensMPV

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

madbrad...

I love football, but my team's not doing so hot, so I've got a lot of time to work on my Mazda.

I posted a pic of the rivet nut (or one like it anyway, since they sent no extras with the roofrack kit). Below is a pic of the rivet tool (left), the torx screw that you tighten the roofrack with, and the actual rivet nut itself. The ones that I received with the kit were 6mm (M6). I'm not sure if this is standard, but that's what I got.

Hope this helps!
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

So do you put the rivet nut in the hole so its flange sits on the roof, and somehow the tool goes in there and expands the bottom bit? The pic of the tool on its own isn't enough for me to tell how to use it, but I guess I could figure it out when I have it. Canadian Tire lends tools but who's to say they'll have that?

MPV gone Sad
bensMPV

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

madbrad ...

I did a lot of looking and very few shop owners had ever even heard of this tool. Very few shops carry an SAE threaded rivet nut tool, let alone a metric one. Thus, I was pretty happy when I finally found one online.

You set the rivet nut in the hole, place the tool over it, and the bolt goes through the tool into the rivet nut. As you tighten the tool, it expands the rivet, so that when you remove the tool and the bolt, you're left with a nicely threaded rivet.

The guy who I bought this from at www.rivetnuttool.com created an animated gif on how they work that was on his web site. I'll paste it below.

An odd tool, but it sure works slick in this application!

Ben
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

Holy gif Batman, talk about hooking a guy up! I didn't realize the second bolt was part of the tool. One could almost make that tool if push came to shove.

MPV gone Sad
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

Great DIY bensMPV. Love that gif, not being familiar with these tools however left me scratching my head thinking so what is it doing. Yes I am a bit of a newbie in these matters.

Am I right in thinking that the tool basically pulls the bolt that you placed in the inserted rivet up and so it then expands the rivet. I didn't quite understand how you would be left with a threaded rivet. sorry but I must be missing something.

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

The rivet already has the threads. That's why it's called a rivet nut. When you screw in the bolt and pull it up, the middle section of the barrel of the rivet expands as you guessed. Then you unscrew the bolt. You are left with a rivet with threads tightly joined to the sheetmetal. It's a way of putting a threaded hole in a sheetmetal roof. There are other ways. If they were to do it at the factory, they would have welded a nut to the underside of the sheetmetal. Then it would be called a weldnut. Of course, if they did that, they would have to install the roofrack, so then every MPV would have a roofrack as standard equipment.

MPV gone Sad

Last edited by Madbrad on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

Madbrad wrote:
The rivet already has the threads. That's why it's called a rivet nut. When you screw in the bolt and pull it up, the middle section of the barrel of the rivet expands as you guessed. Then you unscrew the bolt. You are left with a rivet with threads tightly joined to the sheetmetal. It's a way of putting a threaded hol ein a sheetmetal roof. There are other ways. If they were to do it at the factory, they would have welded a nut to the underside of the sheetmetal. Then it would be called a weldnut. Of course, if they did that, they would have to install the roofrack, so then every MPV would have a roofrack as standard equipment.

The wonder of engineering. Very clever. thanks for the clarification Madbrad. I think a set of roof racks will be waiting until I get back to some form of work. But at least this is an option over the Thule/rola roof racks that are removable but never quite look like part of the car.

Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
bensMPV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

cpapashley...

I do think that this roofrack looks much better than most of the others that I looked at. It's also priced better. Unfortunately, it also is only recommended at 100 lbs, so it doesn't carry quite the same load as the others do.

After doing the install, though, I have no concerns about its durability. Those rivet nuts locked in tight - they aren't going anywhere. My only concern is for minor leaking down the road, but if that were to happen I could take off the roofrack and reapply some silicon.

Fortunately for me, we use it for kayaks, 2x4's, or the occasional luggage use for vacation. I can't picture needing to put more than 100 lbs on it anyway. I told our 5 year old that we were going to mount his carseat up on top so that he could enjoy the view. He was disappointed when I told him I was joking.
bensMPV

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

I never did post a pic of the finished result - here's what it looks like.

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

bensMPV wrote:
I never did post a pic of the finished result - here's what it looks like.

That looks good. I must agree that it looks so much better than the "add on ones". So as far as your DIY skill how would you rate yourself??

bensMPV

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

How would I rank myself??? Well ... if I'm being honest ... I have more ambition than know-how. Very Happy

I do the easy stuff like changing oil, brake pads, etc..., and I've been known to tackle an alternator or replace belts, but most other stuff I leave to a pro. So ... in my opinion, if I can do this project, just about anybody probably can.
bensMPV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

The roofrack has been on for 2 months now, and I've had no issues at all. No windnoise, no leaking, and no problems! I even exceeded the 100 lb weight limit by carrying 200 lbs of backerboard when doing a project on our bathroom. The roofrack did great. No worries!
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2000 Mazda Roofrack - DIY Reply with quote

bensMPV wrote:
The roofrack has been on for 2 months now, and I've had no issues at all. No windnoise, no leaking, and no problems! I even exceeded the 100 lb weight limit by carrying 200 lbs of backerboard when doing a project on our bathroom. The roofrack did great. No worries!

Sounds like it is all going well.

Was it a big refurbish in the bathroom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Do It Yourself All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: