MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

What did you learn to drive in?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

javadoc wrote:
^^^^ First car that I ever rolled!

The last being . . . ?

Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Olyts wrote:
OMG... Embarassed My mom's car....

First car I ever "owned" - a '79 Plymouth Horizon with a 1.7liter VW engine (OEM). My step-grandfather gave it to me when I was going to college. Spent many a happy miles and made the 10 hour drive from college to home without any problems. Handed it down to my bro who used it well in the early '90s. It did not lead a comfortable life.

javadoc, how the heck did you roll one of these? Unless you had the GLH they were underpowered and the wheels were at the corners with a very low center of gravity.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
dbusguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

my first standard tranny was in a Ford Maverick. It was a 3 on the tree.
TomNansMPV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

...a 1955 Buick Special; 3-speed manual on the column, in 1964.

Oh, well, just gave away my age!

Tom

2003 MPV ES

Sage Green, GFX W/rear spoiler, 4-Seasons, 6CD, FogLights, Rear Bumper Step Plate, Donnelly autodim/comp/temp mirror, Euro antenna, SilverStar heads/fogs, Weathertech cargo liner, Mazda bug shield, K&N air filter, Mazda front mask, ScanGauge

1993 626 DX - 171,000 miles
2003MPV-LX
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

'56 F100 Panel truck, 292 V8 with an oil bath Very Happy , 3 on the tree. Dealer installed A/C. Father bought it new. WHen I got that figured out, I was allowed to drive the '57 Mercury, 312 V8 and pushbutton auto. Laughing

2003 MPV LX, Emerald Mica, Rear Spoiler, Auto-Exe Grill, Fog Lights, hitch, Concept DVD w/twin headrest mounted 7" monitors, K&N, visors, splash guards, LIMO tinting on all rear windows. silverstars. Mama's Zoom-Zoom
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

vkc wrote:

javadoc, how the heck did you roll one of these? Unless you had the GLH they were underpowered and the wheels were at the corners with a very low center of gravity.

Didn't you ever hear of the turbo supercharged Omni?

Actually, IIRC, if you made a sudden swerve to avoid something, you could get those things to spin out. Actually once saw someone spin one out at freeway speeds. I was a ten or more car lengths back--close enough to see it well, but far enough back that I didn't feel like I was in danger. I suppose if you were going fast enough, and swerved just right, you could end up with a roll over.

The one that I watched went around a couple/few times, before stopping the spin in a backwards position, but still with plenty of forward momentum. It exited the freeway backwards headed off (or backing off) toward two o'clock at a pretty good rate of speed. No rollover and I don't think anyone was hurt, but I imagine those folks were quite frightened.

So, Java, how many times have you rolled a car over? And what do your insurance premiums look like? Laughing Laughing

Oh, IIRC, I learned on a blue 1962 Ramble Classic. Beep. Beep. I think it had a small six in it, along with three on the tree. And an overdrive.

The image below (shamelessly borrowed from someone else off the internet) is of a two door. The car I learned on was a four door.

Dan
2001 Rainforest Green LX (164,795 miles)--Minnie (The vacationator)
2006 Honda Civic EX with NAVI and 5sp MT (102,338 miles, new block at 89K) (Dan's daily driver)--Blue Car
Sold (scrapped) on 10/30/04 at 165,599.4 miles....1987 Honda Accord DX (165K miles)--Tan Car
Sold (scrapped) on 9/26/09 at 148406.4 miles and 24 years old....1985 Toyota Camry LE --Brown Car (Dan's former daily driver)
And more human powered bikes than I can count.....
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
vkc wrote:

I think this was the GLH ..... means something like Goes Like He[ck].
Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

vkc wrote:
Dan wrote:
vkc wrote:

I think this was the GLH ..... means something like Goes Like He[ck].

I thought it stood for; Girls Laughing Hysterically, which lead them to also say; Good Luck Honey. Laughing

2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
Mazda OEM rack w/Thule Atlantis 1600
Mazda 1.25" Hitch w/ Thule Helium Aero

Past: 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GS, 2003 Mazda MPV DX
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

How about a two tone, poop brown 1959 Rambler Wagon. My brother and I timed it out at a scorching 0-60 time of 19 seconds. The high performance six cylinder Grin was coupled to a two speed automatic with push button selectors. Man it was a chick antidote. One of the skill building exercises that we had with the car was to continue to drive while leaning over and scooping up the reverse selector button that would tend to pop out and fall on the floor.

4full.jpg

4full.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 503 time(s)

7red7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

When I was 16 I purchased a 1983 Plymouth Colt Deluxe for the super affordable (yet mis-leading) price of $600.00...I say mis-leading because I ended up putting in over $2,000.00 in engine repairs during the period I owned it...

It was a good car to me in the end though, and I had a lot of fun with it...You can see pics of through the link in my sig...

DAN

"For every minute of my life I spend unhappy that's one minute of my life I've wasted, and I refuse to spend time wasting my life."
----See My Past Rides And Current Ride Using This Link----
www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=3594215093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DredDon15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

'64 Chev Corvair...black over red...Mom's car (Dad's car at the time was a DKW with 4 on the tree).
Ralph Nader's organization still prohibits 'vair pictures, though the statute of limitations expires in 2064.
(my revenge was owning about a dozen rear-engined cars since...only one of which I rolled)
Regards,
Don

'05 MPV (new-to-us family cruiser)
'03 Golf (daily work driver)
'71 Super Beetle (running)
'60 356B Coupe (rusting)
SilverMPnyc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

93 ford taurus LX. No abs, kirkland tires (yes, COSTCO Very Happy ). Hit a concrete barrier twice in that thing (~35 slippery, too fast and too stupid)...never bothered to fix it after the second time.

Handed down to my uncle who drove it for the past 2 years. Finally killed the transmission and donated a couple of months ago Sad

2005 Subaru Outbact XT 6spd.

*RIP* 2004 Silver MPV LX
*RIP* 2003 Subaru Legacy L "Special Edition" -6 Spd. & ej205 swap vf23, 1993 Ford Taurus LX
ellets

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Try to top this. A 1921 dodge coupe. around 1947. First car was 1946 ford conv. Blue and white. The girls loved it.
if you aint the lead dog the view never changes
owr084

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Learning to drive with the parents - 65 Ford Galaxy and a 71 Olds Vista Cruiser (455 cubic inches!). In drivers ed - Chevy Monza with the bigger engine (V8?) and a Mazda RX-3 Station Wagon Surprised The latter was fun to merge onto the highway with that rotary Wink

Learning to drive a stick, once or twice in friends' cars. But, I really learned by just going out and buying a 78 Toyota pickup with a 5 speed manual.

RBB
2007 Volkswagen Eos 2.0T
2005 Volkswagen Passat GLS TDI Diesel
2002 Mazda MPV ES
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I have not yet learned to drive.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: