MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

What did you learn to drive in?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikebai1990
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I'm getting my learner permit tomorrow Smile So I'm probably gonna be driving in the Acura Vigor. The MPV may be too big.
2005 MPV LX+ Package, Black Mica, Traction Control, Side Airbags, Wheel Locks, Roof Rack

1993 Acura Vigor GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikebai1990

cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

mikebai1990 wrote:
I'm getting my learner permit tomorrow Smile So I'm probably gonna be driving in the Acura Vigor. The MPV may be too big.

A mighty big congratulations Mike, my son number one will be going for his learners permit on the 29th of this month. If he doesn't get it on that day, he will then have to comply with new rules that include a log book and various restrictions for new drivers....needless to say he is hoping to get his at the first try.

Look forward to hearing about your adventures behind the acura... Smile

2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package
mikebai1990
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Will post Smile I might convince my parents to let me start driving around today. Day 1: Parking Lot!
2005 MPV LX+ Package, Black Mica, Traction Control, Side Airbags, Wheel Locks, Roof Rack

1993 Acura Vigor GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mikebai1990

03LX_ZoomZoom
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I learned to drive in my dad's 323 GT in Hong Kong, and it was a stick shift.

Mazda whould bring back that three door hatchback!

There's only one way to enjoy driving.... "zzzzzzoooooommmmmmmmmmmm".

Got TEIN?
zamboni

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Got my license in my parents 84 Ford Thunderbird with a 5.0. Drove my dads 79 F250 Camper Special occasionally- she had a 460 in her. I learned the stick shift driving my sisters Subaru GL (spare tire on top of engine) and my first car the summer I turned 16 was a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 2 door post with a straight 6.
AJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Can't quite remember, could have been the Massy Harris 444 or maybe the Inernational W-4. LOL Farm boy .... I guess it would have been Dad's '74 Chevy Vandura three on the tree! I could just reach the pedals with the seat all the way to the front, I was likely 10 or 11. From there it could have been the '73 Caddilac Fleetwood Brougham, it had the 472 in it lot's of fun but I was not allowed to drive on the highway (for obvious reasons. Finally when I turned 16 in '85 I took my license in our '76 AMC Hornet! I was so upset that I couldn't use the Caddy as it threw the timing chain and was not worth fixing.
Great link! It was fun thinking back of all of the cars we had and the silly things I did as a kid!

AJ.
'80 Toyota MK1 Celica Supra Metalic Red 5 spd
'97 MPV 4x4 Blue / Grey
'98 Toyota Rav-4 Silver
'10 Honda Ridgeline Metalic grey.
* Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot
easier than puttin' it back in.
* Good judgment comes from experience, and a
lotta that comes from bad judgment.
yourpc1596

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Well the first thing motorized was a early Honda 70 cc trail bike, but the first car? 1966 Ford Fairlane Wagon with automatic then went to 72 Datsun to learn to drive a stick. We had a steep gravel driveway with potholes in it. Good practice for starting up hills without rolling backwards and also not spinning the tires. Little rough on the clutch though Rolling Eyes ...
You've just been ZOOOOMED by a minivan. Zoom Zoom Zoom

Last edited by yourpc1596 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andyengineer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I can't believe I haven't pitched in to this one. Alex, are you pulling off some of the old ones to keep the thread from getting too big?

Anyway, Driver's Ed--Chevy Citation. Permit driving and license test in Mama's Datsun 210 wagon (lime green--and you cats with the Omnis thought YOU had trouble picking up girls--HAH)

I learned stick shift on a 1968 Renault R10 and a 1980 (?) BMW 6-series---in the same week. The girl whose father owned said extravagence decided I wasn't her type about two weeks later, but then proceeded to wrap the car around a concrete road separator (Jersey Barrier) with another guy riding shotgun, so I'd say I came out alright on that one.

As for the R10, my Father bought it for $325 and a case of Stroh's six weeks before The Embargo, then sold it to a local machinist long about 1987 for $500 and a quart jar of local 'shine. He still has the car in his carport, and uses it as a Sunday driver and nice weather date car--fast it ain't, but the leather is still good and it did come with a sun-roof.
98SVT-00MPV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

You mean besided grandaddy's tractor? We had a 66 Chevy Nova with the 194 I6 and a Powerglide transmission. That was a two speed automatic, with speeds slow and slower.

My mom had a 1978 Mercury Zephyr wagon I suggested she get. I think that was the best car she had. Well at least better than the 75 Chrysler Cordoba she traded for the Zephyr. The Cordoba, sans Corinthian leather, had more miles going up and down the rack at the local "Dodge Boys" than it went on the road, with the finicky carb (lean burn,I think) and the electronic ignition.

Oh, it also came with Firestone 500 radial tires. I finally suggested she replace them with Michelins which lasted the remaining life of the car.
rollie1960
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

It was a Ford Pinto and it was standard to boot. Embarassed
ctom3
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I learned in a '65 Mustang with an inline 6, 3 speed standard, and warped clutch plate. The car would either stall or almost shake to pieces if I didn't use perfect clutch technique. This made it a great car to learn in!
alschnertz
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

First car I drove on my own when I was about 13 years old was my neighbors '63 Rambler 660 Cross Country Classic wagon. 6 cylinder + 3 on the tree. He let me take it around a parking lot. Nice ride! Cool Man, I was on top of the world that day.

At 16 years old, I honed my skills "chirping second" in a '75 Honda Civic, '78 Honda Accord and '74 Toyota Corolla S5.

'06 MPV-LX, '10 Mazda3;
'60 Volvo PV544, '68 122S, '70 145S, '86 745T, '95 854T, '01 S40;
'84 Prelude.
dlzbub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

ctom3 wrote:
I learned in a '65 Mustang with an inline 6, 3 speed standard, and warped clutch plate. The car would either stall or almost shake to pieces if I didn't use perfect clutch technique. This made it a great car to learn in!

I learned how to drive (and took my driver's test, too) in my Dad's 1965 Mustang. 289 V8, automatic. Sweet car. Remember the turn signal indicator on the dash? The same rectangular green light flashed whether you were signalling left or right.

The first car I ever owned was very different: A 1962 Volkswagen Beetle! The first model year that featured a gas gauge. I was forced to learn manual shift very quickly. I loved that car mainly because it was my first.
tyler
Mega Party Vehicle!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

my mpv... I still need to go in and get my licence
>>tyler<<
1991 MPV 4wd 3.0L V6!
Dan9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

1969 Plymouth Valiant. Automatic, weird green, was owned by one old guy in Victoria, B.C. before my mom bought it.

I was probably the first person to ever floor that car - a could of black soot came launching out of the tailpipe when I did!

I also killed the original motor by not checking the oil one day, it ran to below the dipstick and I was at someone's house, I asked if they had some oil, they only had thicker truck oil and, being the n00b that I was, I thought that would be worse for the car than driving it dry back to town. Engine seized.

After another motor, the car ended up sitting in a field behind the mechanic's and as far as I know, its still sitting there today. My mom was trying to give it to me but by then I lived back in Montreal, downtown, and absolutely did not want a car.

2002 MPV LX 186k KMs all DIY all day long
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: