MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

What did you learn to drive in?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackofalltrades
MPVClub Preacher
Mechanic by necessity. Ja
MPVClub Preacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I saw an old Divco milk truck for sale the other day and it brought back fond memories of my dad who during the summer break (he was a teacher) took a job as a home delivery milk route driver. This had been a standing offer from one of his friends for many years. He delivered 2 routes twice a week and often got me up at 3:00 A.M. to help him. when daylight broke we would usually be on the second route which delivered out in the country. At this point he would let me drive as he said "Everybody should know how to drive a clutch. If you can drive a clutch you can drive anything". Well this old Divco had about a million miles on it and none of the syncros worked and the steering had a full turn of slop (REALLY!). The engine belched blue smoke up through the floor board so we always left the sliding doors open. I would take off and grind the gears and hit a pot hole and the steering would violently shake until I got the wheel turned back so it would stop wandering all over the place. He taught me how to double clutch so the gears would mesh. After I mastered that then he let me learn on his '63 Rambler cross country station wagon. I blew up the differential doing burn outs in the High School Parking lot. Embarassed My first motorcycle was a Honda CL 100.
So what did you learn to drive in or on?

Help! I'm Diagonally parked in a parallel universe! '93 MPV Goat transporter(DIED AT 199,985 MILES), '73 Levi edition AMC Gremlin,'88 GMC 1TON (ex-caltrans highway dept.) Pickup. 2001 Gold Honda Odyssey LX (drove it three days and blew up the tranny! And SEVERAL THOUSAND Hot Wheels! Emoticon advocate!
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I learned in a 1975 Toyota Corolla w/a 4speed stick. I took my driver's test in my mom's Dodge (full size) van though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cpapashley
MPVClub Fixture
The Wonder from Downunder
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

I learnt to drive in my mums Datsun 240k, think it was a five speed, definitely a manual anyway. I think I am having a senior moment. Laughing
2000 MPV Seychelles Green 279,000 km
Custom Cold Air Intake, K&N Panel Filter
Custom Equal Length Headers and Y pipe
Hi Flow CAT, 2 1/2" with straight through exhaust....ohhhh it makes you smile......
MPV Club Sticker to finish off the package

240k.jpg

240k.jpg - File downloaded or viewed 901 time(s)

lazyfox_
MPVClub Posting Maniac
sleepless computer addict
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Skoda 120, MT 4 speed with 1,2L engine, it had whooping 54 ponies.

http://www.answers.com/topic/koda-105-120

2002 Mazda MPV ES Sunlight Silver Zoom-Zoom
2009 MAZDA3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Stormy Blue Mica Zoooom-Zoooooom

[img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/cz.gif[/img:f9299cb053] [img:f9299cb053]http://home.earthlink.net/~petrakimbox/usa.gif[/img:f9299cb053]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Pickup trucks at Dad's work (Ford F-250 types), an '86 Taurus (I got my permit in the spring of '86 and in the summers I worked in Dad's pipe fab shop - my driving school was driving him to and from work everday for the summer). Mom's car was a '79 Riviera. Girlfriend (now wife) had a manual Mercury Zephyr.
Rich. Dark. Deeply satisfying.

My rides:
'01 MPV LX
'97 Mercury Grand Marquis SOLD
'08 Mazda CX-7 Touring - my first turbo!
vkc
MPVClub Posting Maniac
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

When I was 10, I used to drive my uncle's '76 Civic (it was manual with I think 4 speeds) the last mile home (very desolate road). After the first week of doing this and proving that I could drive the manual, my father used to let me move around his work vehicles: '72 Toyota Hiace (manual shifter on steering column) and '71 Bedford Panel Van (manual)

Many years later I did the driving test for my license in my then-girlfriend's slushbox Mustang.

Then: '79 Plymouth Horizon, '88 VW Fox Wagon, '92 VW Jetta GL (DW), '96 VW Golf GL (DW), '97 Jetta GLX - Green, '03 MPV ES - Blue Mica (DW)
Now: '15 Hyundai Elantra GT - Titanium Gray Metallic (DW), '10 Honda Civic Si - Polished Metal Metallic blake
dbusguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

'72 Plymouth Valiant, baby blue
metalfab
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

1987 Nissan King Cab 2WD.
5 spd.
2.4L 4 cylinder, 135HP

Like the one below but, what else... Silver Wink

2015 Mazda 5 GS w/CP
Mazda OEM rack w/Thule Atlantis 1600
Mazda 1.25" Hitch w/ Thule Helium Aero

Past: 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2012 Mazda 5 GS, 2003 Mazda MPV DX
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

metalfab wrote:
1987 Nissan King Cab 2WD.
5 spd.
2.4L 4 cylinder, 135HP

Like the one below but, what else... Silver Wink

Mmmmm, the Nissan "Hardbody" bodied truck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

'84 Plymouth Voyager with the 2.6L Mitsubishi 4 banger.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
Olyts
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

OMG... Embarassed My mom's car....

2010 Toyota RAV4
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

My driving teacher's car. An 82 Rabbit. I practiced on the family cars, a 79 Mustang and a 77 Granada.

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
Antzin Muhpantz
MPVClub Resident
Tame Race Driver
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

'68 Chevy Malibu coupe which my parents gave me in '81. due to all the dents and dings and rust and bondo and primer it was affectionately dubbed by by friends as The S#!tMobile!!. ahhh... the good ol' days...
I can see by what you carry
that you come from Barrytown!

2005 MPV LX Titanium Grey "Da KrazyBus" Alpine CDA 9851 reciever, Alpine MRP 240 four channel amp, Alpine S-Type 5x7 front, factory rear, 8" Dayton Quattro sub- and generous amounts of Steely Dan!
2002.5 Mazda Protege 5 Laser Blue, Moonroof, 4 Speed Sport AT, 6 Speaker Audio
javadoc
Administrator
Forced-Induction Addict
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

Olyts wrote:
OMG... Embarassed My mom's car....

^^^^ First car that I ever rolled!
Madbrad
MPVClub Fixture
B Y O plastic cutlery
MPVClub Fixture

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: What did you learn to drive in? Reply with quote

You've rolled more than one car?

MPV gone Sad
current: 07 Impala SS, 08 Grand Caravan SXT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: