MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp88
MPVClub Resident
MPVClub Resident

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

New MPV Club rule, since I'm now a Senior Member, I get to make a rule. From this point on, if anyone comes into the forum and asks or declares that our 3.0L engines are interference, they get one warning and search instructions. If they insist after that fact, they should be banned for 1 month. I am soooooo tired of this beat to death topic.
subearu
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Shuffle Up & Deal!
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

I made this a 'sticky' post as well, so it will now appear at the top of the listing in this Gen1 forum to help those searching.

-Brian

phpbb:phpinfo()
noraa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

i have to say for most cars when you break something that serious your going to get bent values and if you think your car is worth the cost go for it......good luck
JMTRANSAMSD455
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

The 1989-1999 GEN1 MPVs with the Jap 3.0 SOHC engine is Non-Interference so there is no valve damage if the rubber timing belt breaks. Just make sure you change the water pump while you got it apart, change the tensioners with New OEM ones, new hoses, antifreeze, New timing cover gaskets. Try to find a good trustworthy mechanic if you don't do it yourself. DW's 92 MPV had the belt done at MAZDA when the waterpump started very light leaking at 50,000 miles and it was under warranty. I had to pay for the rubber belt, gaskets, tensioners and the labor to put the belt on. Saved a bundle. Jack.
2003 ES Sunlight SilverMobil 1,K&N 102,800m Hers,2015 CX-5 Grand Tour AWD2.5 Meteor Grey Mica MOLY oil29,000m2016.5Mazda CX5 TouringAWD DeepChrystalBlue MazdaMOLY GF5 Oil 29,8005m,Son,2008 MAZDA 3S TOURING 2.3L HATCH Aurora BlueK&N Mobil1 78,800m,2015 MAZDA3HATCH 2.5GT Liquid Silver 9000mMOLYOil ,2016 Subaru Forester Limited2.5AWD Quartz Blue Pearl MolyGF5Oil5,115mHers,1974 Trans Am LS-2 Bucanneer Red113Km SOLDr
MPV219

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

I'm no expert but there are many on here that will help you fix it and save you lots of money and time. When my belt broke I just lifted the dist cap and spun the motor. if the rotor ain't turning, the belt is broke. I'll bet yours is a non-interference motor as well. Now I think I have a skipped teeth situation - more complicated. Anyway I have 232K miles on mine with original motor. put it back together and keep going Smile
Kiwimpv
MPVClub Posting Maniac
Gen1 Advocate
MPVClub Posting Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

For all those folks trying to diagnose problems with CEL light and DTC etc, then there are a full set of codes and instructions here...

http://www.mpvclub.com/diy.php?id=82

CEL and DTC & ABS CODES for Gen1A and Gen1B

Kiwi

Graeme + 1 + 4
93 Efini V6 162km
87 Capella/626 1.8i 176km
My Weather Site
78 20ft Trlr Camper
yourpc1596

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

Do get the OEM parts as the dealer shouldnt charge much more than the parts stores do. Im in Alaska and we bought the head gasket set from the dealer because the set was less from the dealer than any of the parts stores, even with our fleet pricing from NAPA.
The belts a cinch to change if you have done any wrenching before. Just follow the book. The hardest part for me was seeing if the cams were lined up correctly on the marks on the heads. I take a screwdriver and put the tip on the mark and then level out the screwdriver with the marks. It gets me alot closer since the marks are below the radiator core support line of sight. Ive had another problem with mine recently and had someone suggest that I change the tensioner (when you get that far you have the belt darn near off) and it didnt take long at all.

I have 2 of the early MPV's a 90 and a 94. One I got for free because the guy that owned it was told it had an interference motor and it might have bent valves or cracked head. Mechanic wanted $700 to change just the belt and the guy didnt want to spend the money. I got it put my 94 belt on it when I changed the new (idlers tensioner etc) belt on my 94 and it worked fine. I put all the new stuff on the 90 and have 2 great vans. The 94 is actually my mothers car but I do the service work on it. I didnt know that they were a non interference motor untill reading this post, but now that I know Im a happy camper. (You guys rock!!!)
I figured I just got lucky. There is another guy I met that has 2 of these vans and he has blown 3 belts on one of his older ones and has had no problems with the motor. Have fun and dont be afraid to ask for help.

I realize that this is a really old post but I didnt see you say you had it fixed yet.

You've just been ZOOOOMED by a minivan. Zoom Zoom Zoom
70 140

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

I just finshed a timing belt replacement this afternoon, thanks to the instructions from GEN1Hawaii.

The belt, waterpump, tensioner were changed about a year and half ago at 290,000km by the dealer ($700). Last week (now 332,000km), while traveling at highway speed, there was a big screech, a bit of smoke, and a major loss of power... I pulled over and had the van towed home. After reading the instructions on the board I decided to do things myself. Upon removing the timing belt cover I determined the top idler pulley siezed, melted and tore up the belt, and eventually pulled itself clean out of the cylinder head - where it mounts. So a stripped idler belt hole, and a busted belt, and two idler pulleys that probably should have been replaced back when the dealer changed the belt.

I bought a tool and machined the idler pulley hole out and put a helicoil in. I ordered 2 new pulleys, a belt, and a pair of cam seals. All of that cost $170 - Which was a Continental belt, and NSK (Japanese) idler pulleys. I did this over 2 days, it probably took me about 8 or 9 hours. It would have been quicker if the idler hadn't of pulled out of the head.

Thanks for the info, and great photos Smile
mpvchootia

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

MAY 2008: Did a timing belt recently on my 1997 MPV, 3L, SOHC, RWD, after the top idler pulley bearing seized which caused the pulley bolt thread to strip and caused the belt to jump tooth and the engine died with a loud thump while i was doing 80 to 85 kmlhr. Happy to report that i did the job my self which cost me under $250 and today i took it out for a spin and all the power it had before is still there. Always use a full timing belt kit ( comes with timing belt, top and bottom idlers & tensioner pulley) . I cheaped out last time when i did the timing belt and purchased idler pulley bearings and pressed it in myself (may have accidently applied hydraulic pressure on the inner race of the bearing???)
CONCLUSION: THIS IS A NON-INTERFERENCE ENGINE ( oh what a relief )
HAVE A NICE DAY. CHEERS
tillicumtom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender! Reply with quote

I wish I had found this web site prior to replaceing my timming belt !!! But with a little research I did it in one day. One thing I learned (you guys probabley already know) Is that I had a really hard time getting the bolt to break lose on the balancer pully two hours and alot of foul language. A freind came by. We laid a breaker bar from the bolt to the frame rail Drivers side, disconnect the coil wire and clicked the key two seconds and it was lose nice trick. The other witch I don't know is true or false is don't lay the centrifical fan flat keep it upright or somehow it can be damaged. I didn't want to debate it so kept mine upright and all is fine.
96MPVSPORTLOVER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Timing Belt Death Blow!! Never give up never surrender!! Reply with quote

I've got 199000 on my '96. Have replaced the timing belt twice in the 120000 once at about 120000 miles and then again at 190000. I did the water pump with it, too both times. Get the whole kit installed with the tensioners and everything. You can buy the whole kit with the tensioners and pulleys etc. for about $150 or so and then also do the water pump at the same time which I think is highly recommended.

They're great cars, take care of it and it will serve you well. I've replaced my tranny and will buy a new engine for this car when it comes time. Just sold a 2002 Explorer (Exploder) recently with less miles on it because I refuse to give up this marvelously engineered piece of machinery. Just like for humans, a bit of preventive maintenance goes a long way and will add much to the life span and quality of life of your car.

Mike Goodin
Happy owner of an MPV SPORT!
nhzruthless818
MPVClub Addict
MPVClub Addict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Messed up really bad Reply with quote

I was changing out the valve cover and my neighbor decided to help me out and now I am stuck Sad he removed the distributor without marking any locations. I dont know what to do to get the distributor on right. I changed the seal on it. I know my timing belt crank and cams are spot on timing. How does one get this damn thing to synchronize with the engine?
1996 Mazda MPV 2WD
K&N Air Filter
Ngk performance wireset and iridium plugs
Full Sound System
H.I.D Headlights and Custom Fogs 8000k
Bosch Horns replicas (behind grille)
Full Interior and License Plate LED
Blue LED Cluster
Mercedes Home-link mirror retrofitted
oil catch can installed

1997 Mercedes Benz S500V
M119 5.0L AMG Conversion
255/45R18 Front
285/40R18 Rear
flmpv1997

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Messed up really bad Reply with quote

nhzruthless818 wrote:
I was changing out the valve cover and my neighbor decided to help me out and now I am stuck Sad he removed the distributor without marking any locations. I dont know what to do to get the distributor on right. I changed the seal on it. I know my timing belt crank and cams are spot on timing. How does one get this damn thing to synchronize with the engine?

Did you look at the two sticky notes about timing.?
It's not the end of the world, seems like it.
My dist has been in and out more times than I can count.

I put a breaker bar on my crank and pull #1 plug, put skinny long screwdriver in watch for it to go up.

Then align your dist marks, drop it in and make sure it's on #1 on the cap.

Should do it. Has for me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> 89-98 MPV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: