MPVClub.com home Log in to check your private messages Support MPVClub.com!

Ipod Integration + Aux Input for MPV (i-Mazda-R)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Ipod Integration + Aux Input for MPV (i-Mazda-R) Reply with quote

I recently ordered and installed an iPod integration kit from Dice Electronics:
http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DETEST01&Product_Code=i-Mazda-R&Category_Code=DICE_IPOD_MAZDA

This little device is really easy to install and does what it advertise.
The sound quality is much better than any FM transmitter, although the volume of the iPod is lower than the radio.
It plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the stock radio. You can retain your factory 6 CD changer. To access it, you press on the CD button twice. You can also control your iPod from the steering wheel, the radio or the iPod itself.

But before you jump on your phone and order it, here is a list of limitations I found:

- The Mazda radio does not support text display, it will only show something like: EX5 2
- The operation of this device is not user friendly. You'll need to have a little cheat sheet with you to remember what all the EX1, EX2, EX3... codes do. There is one that comes with it. But, you will probably spend a lot of time explaining to your spouse (or other) how to operate the thing.
- The device did hang once in a while and powers the radio off.
- It advertises a gain control for the AUX volume, but if you crank it up too high, the sound gets badly distorted.

Other than that, I am really happy with it and it seems to be the first device that allows you to integrate your iPod and an AUX input with the factory stereo for a reasonable price.
I used it mostly to listen to our new Garmin StreetPilot 2820. This GPS is also a Bluetooth car kit and MP3 player. So the wife can call and talk on the phone while leaving her hands on the steering wheel. Much safer and she can sip on her Latte while putting her mascara on Very Happy (just kiddin)

I did not need to install the Ground-Loop isolator mentioned on the website.

For more information:
http://www.diceelectronics.com/support/files/users_manual_rev_a02.pdf

To summarize: Great buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MPVClub.com Forum Index -> Audio, Video, Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: